XOOM

Help "Doc" fight lymphoma

198 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, DOC said:

So as you've come to expect, I'll be brief. Wait ... did I just say that ? I must be delirious. Well to tell the truth, after I finished crying, I probably have moved a little into the delirium territory. I went to my oncology review just this week, the big one ... post treatment and with all my tests and scans having been completed. 

ALL CLEAR

Best news ever eh !

It was an experience this year ... that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (well ok that's actually a good plan if I had any enemies) ... but now I can focus on getting the missing 80% of my health back. They almost killed me (in fact they cut the treatment short by one round because they didn't think I'd make it through) but I made it anyway. Thank you everyone for your help and support. You'll never know how much it means to me. I shall try to tell you but I will fail to convey how much it really meant. Most awesome community this side of the Milky Way.

S!

Fantastic news Doc. GJ and here's to the road to recovery :)

The best of wishes from a former Wingless Cafe customer.

(I still got your books btw, you even signed one of them. That was "great" for a then Warbirds rookie (Canis).

Browsed through them yesterday in fact.)

Well done DOC keep it up and fight the fooker !

Why they call you Doc btw i guess you`ve earned your nickname now :)

For those that don`t know this game wouldn`t have existed without Docs existence fwiw.

Edited by actonman

Absolutely great news, Doc!!    Stankyus said it so well !!  S!

On 2019-08-02 at 11:50 AM, DOC said:

So as you've come to expect, I'll be brief. Wait ... did I just say that ? I must be delirious. Well to tell the truth, after I finished crying, I probably have moved a little into the delirium territory. I went to my oncology review just this week, the big one ... post treatment and with all my tests and scans having been completed. 

ALL CLEAR

Best news ever eh !

It was an experience this year ... that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (well ok that's actually a good plan if I had any enemies) ... but now I can focus on getting the missing 80% of my health back. They almost killed me (in fact they cut the treatment short by one round because they didn't think I'd make it through) but I made it anyway. Thank you everyone for your help and support. You'll never know how much it means to me. I shall try to tell you but I will fail to convey how much it really meant. Most awesome community this side of the Milky Way.

S!

AWESOME DOC !

S!

I never post here anymore, except for this: Congratulations on a big victory!

Cheers!

Congrats Doc - I just your all clear post!  What great news and a great relief I'm sure.

Time to rebuild your strength and endurance and now that all the poison has stopped, I'm sure it will happen quickly.

S! and glad to hear some good news :)

More good news. They have agreed to remove some of this bloody awful hardware (but not all of it) so I'm eating food like a normal person (smaller pieces though) and my taste buds are returning to normal. Finally no more taking care of the hole in my chest and all the fooking drama that goes with that. Rebuilding some of the 22% muscle I lost and generally trying to not be some kind of 100 year old invalid. As a result of the nutritional upheaval that went with surviving this hellish ordeal, it has left me physiologically (blood and organs) pretty damn healthy and strong, even though my physique is as weak as a kitten. Last week I had 90% of the criteria to contract peritonitis (which is deadly) but for a reason they couldn't explain in the hospital, my blood refused to surrender the final step and did not become infected, even after the subcutaneous tissue had done so. They said this was something very unusual. Superman lives ! (LOL)

4 people like this

56 minutes ago, DOC said:

More good news. They have agreed to remove some of this bloody awful hardware (but not all of it) so I'm eating food like a normal person (smaller pieces though) and my taste buds are returning to normal. Finally no more taking care of the hole in my chest and all the fooking drama that goes with that. Rebuilding some of the 22% muscle I lost and generally trying to not be some kind of 100 year old invalid. As a result of the nutritional upheaval that went with surviving this hellish ordeal, it has left me physiologically (blood and organs) pretty damn healthy and strong, even though my physique is as weak as a kitten. Last week I had 90% of the criteria to contract peritonitis (which is deadly) but for a reason they couldn't explain in the hospital, my blood refused to surrender the final step and did not become infected, even after the subcutaneous tissue had done so. They said this was something very unusual. Superman lives ! (LOL)

Congrats on the recovery. By the way - have you told them yet that you're a DOC?  Might impress the nurses. 

Image result for sexy doctor gif

13 hours ago, DOC said:

S!

Great news, Doc!!!!

I suggest you get some help to regain your strength:

b9a4d06d0a0b3f69309ff07588dea51c.jpg

Edited by GrAnit

17 hours ago, DOC said:

Superman lives ! (LOL)

No sh*t!  I know I couldn't have gone through what you did.  You have to win some type of WWIIOL real-life b@d@ssery award.  S!

-Irish

Apparently my actual chances weren't rated very highly. I was shocked :huh:

I'm being completely honest when I say I couldn't do it again.

Edited by DOC

4 hours ago, DOC said:

Apparently my actual chances weren't rated very highly. I was shocked :huh:

I'm being completely honest when I say I couldn't do it again.

I'd say you  got as far as you did on sheer cussedness.

A lot of people, if not most, will quit 'early' because they cannot take the pain and the effort, or do not have anything inside them to fight for (this usually shocks families when they encounter a loved one that packs it in easily, you don't really find out what a person is until they face the extremes).

Nurses ofttimes like to deal with the wan shrinking violet patient who faces their monster with meek acceptance ('Mrs. Soandso is so nice, it's so sad'), while complaining about that cussing fighting snarling patient that is so difficult.  I want to go in there and shake them hard, no you got it wrong it's the fighter that's going to make it and the disease martyr that's going to die, you need to develop more cussedness if possible for that person and chalk up the tough one as 'on the mend'.

I'd say the same stubbornness that got you through ridiculous times with TGTCWTF is that "not gonna knuckle under do what I started out to do" character got you through this.

S! to the survivors.

Edited by Kilemall

I'll be completely honest. There was one period when I was at my lowest when I considered not going any further. It took a special friend to pull me out of that. I know what love is now more than ever.

In 3 hours I go back to the hospital to have some of this hardware removed. They are leaving some of it in for another year in case of a return of the dreaded condition, because it's such a big procedure to replace if the need arises. At least the worst and most obvious is going. More progress !

On the "weird but make it a positive" side of things I am enjoying the new body weight (I lost 22% of my body mass) even if the majority of it was muscle (not enjoying that aspect) but I will regain my strength eventually. Not a recommended diet plan however effective it might have been. ;)

Problem, I need a new wardrobe now.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, DOC said:

I need a new wardrobe now.

I'd guess if you wrote a diet book it wouldn't sell well. 

That depends. I might disguise it as a story about the battle with the treatment to beat the big C. The diet is just an extra bonus prize. Of course, if you're 160 pounds going in that might be a problem. I was lucky I had 40 pounds to lose anyway. Whatever the case, here we are and what a place to be eh !

59 minutes ago, DOC said:

That depends. I might disguise it as a story about the battle with the treatment to beat the big C. The diet is just an extra bonus prize. Of course, if you're 160 pounds going in that might be a problem. I was lucky I had 40 pounds to lose anyway. Whatever the case, here we are and what a place to be eh !

Keep on kicking it Doc. We have cancer survivors in our family, having fought the bastage C. Keep on the mend.

So you have a different type of "six pack" now?

;)

S!

Heh. Two victories at once...beat cancer, and lose that extra weight. OK, that might be marketable.  :D

If you're writing a book about losing weight, maybe some of your medical bills and your new wardrobe will be a business expense. Not that you have big income right now to take expenses against, but some tax treatments can reach back to prior years. 

Tax adjustments ? Who pays tax ? On what income ? Or are you testing out material for your next open mic night ? 

28 minutes ago, DOC said:

Tax adjustments ? Who pays tax ? On what income ? Or are you testing out material for your next open mic night ? 

You might have huge new income with your bestseller as advised by JWilly -  use a pen name and everyone will think you're already famous, to wit:

• THE DOC DIET: How to Beat Cancer, Lose Weight and Get a New Wardrobe Look at the Same Time  - by 'The Doc'.