• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfir3

15 Tips for Winning Gunfights by Dfire

11 posts in this topic

So over time quite a few axis (and allied players during intermission) private message me asking how to be a better shot and get the big infantry killstreaks. While aiming is just something that comes with practice, I figured I'd make a post on here of my tips to help new players get better. There are many roles as we all know, but these are just my tips to be a good slayer. Feel free to add anything you want to as well in the comments. 

1 -Dont walk/run in straight lines

2 -Dont sprint continuously (use brief pauses; untap sprint key ocassionally; be unpredictable). People spread rumors that I am lagging, but I am actually running as choppy as I can on purpose.

3 -Try to find ledges, berms, etc that dont expose body

4 -Strafe when ADS

5 -Don't sit in the same spot too long (this tip is situational, but a rule of thumb is that if an enemy sees you in a spot, it's best to move because theres always that guy that will aim in the same spot for 10 minutes waiting for you to pop back up.

6 -Relax. Dont get too excited or nervous.

7 -Pick your battles carefully. Just because you see an enemy doesnt mean you should shoot at them at that instant. If you have no cover and/or they are already taking aim at you, break from their view and find a different place to take a shot or dont take it at all. 

8 -Dont get tunnel vision. This comes with practice, but use your peripheral vision to scan for additional enemies whilst engaging the current one.

9 -Dont sit in common spots. Everyone knows to scan the top of church towers, bunker windows, depot roofs etc.

10 -Know when to back off. This is something I am trying to improve on as well. If you are stringing together a lot of kills in a short time, the urge is there to keep on doing what you are doing, but eventually a smart player will catch on and you will get rushed by multiple enemies.

11 -Dont always lay down prone if behind a berm. I see this all the time. Some people think if they are prone behind a berm with just the top of their head exposed they will be too hard of a target to hit. Most good players will plink you!

12 -AIM DOWN SIGHT. Limit hipfire especially with rifles.

13 -Pre-fire around corners that you are confident an enemy is around.

14 -Keep scanning your surroundings

15 -The NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT TIP... BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! Having a good shot and having deceptive movement means nothing if enemies always get behind you and shoot you in the back. It will happen. It happens to everyone. You can drastically limit this though by having good situational awareness. You should always be asking yourself where are the enemy spawns? Where are my teammates? Where is a lot of my mass exposed? What directions are safe to run to if need be? What's marked on the map and where? Does that enemy have a rifle or smg? Where would they least expect me? Where are their high traffic routes? Do I hear footsteps? Is that guy too far to hit with my smg? To be honest, you can have terrible aim, but if you constantly playing smart and getting behind unsuspecting enemies, you have a huge advantage. When you die, ask yourself if theres anything you coulda woulda shoulda done differently.

This might seem like a lot to remember, but I can pretty much sum it up by saying make yourself a hard target and be aware of your surroundings. One of the reasons I enjoy this game is the complexity and challenges of having to use logic and tactics to outsmart your opponent. You dont get that in games like Call of Duty. At least not at this level.

I hope these can help. Like I said, feel free to add your tips as well. As a mostly axis player, some allied players that are good at this that immediately come to mind are gretnine, xohorvath, and unknownname. Im sure there are some others I'm missing.

salute

Edited by dfir3
3 people like this

I think the Q and E key are a must as a INF player,  if your head ain't turning from side to side every few seconds you are doing something wrong.

I catch many INF pretty much running past me while I go the opposite direction , reason why I get the drop on them is because my head is on a swivel.

Many times I let them go cause I'm Engineer and he pretty much just told me the direction his EFMS is. 

I don't kill him I won't have to deal with him at the EFMS .  I mark him , blow the EFMS and one of my fellow soldiers will get him.

3 people like this

keybind the "second aim" slot as well as the "second fire" slot to the middle mouse button (i use left ctrl), you'll get better (imo more realistic) hip fire accuracy

#1 should be mark

this one win's or looses campaigns. seriously, when people mark the chance of winning increases dramatically. even guys that die a lot and just plain suck at the game can turn the tides when they mark.

one of my squadmates was hopeless at shooting and fighting (like 0.2K/D), but he marked, he could be credited with hundreds of victories for his marks alone.

whenever i killed a marked tank, it wasn't me that killed it. it was you guys painting the screen, thank you for the marks.

Edited by major0noob

#18 5.1 surround sound or a good headset, you should be able to tell exactly where an infantry is, in your own building/cp by sound alone. Each earth/building type has very distinct sounds when being ran on. The jist of this is that I try to enter CPs on dirt/earth and try to take a direct path in and up as quickly as possible. They'll be at their map/hand off mouse if they don't expect anything.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0