dre21

Well the side channel disease

19 posts in this topic

Has now befallen the Axis side now too.

Only side channel in Oostmalle ( and that was most of it junk talk and if it was game related how is one supposed to know which town it's mentioned for , no target or mission Chat none whatsoever, add  no marks on map.

It was truly the 1st time where I logged off and I had no fun. If this becomes the norm then I'm thinking my days here are numbered , I play this game for the Team play aspect , I don't get that with side channel being active alone where most of the chat is none game nor town related . 

CRS I urge you kill side channel  label it the BS channel and whoever wants to talk about who is banging who and who has the uglier wife go at it .

I for sure would not tune to that channel.

Like I said if this becomes the norm , I might take an extensive break from game cause I see no fun in it anymore sad to say so.

I am sure you looked, but just asking, were they perhaps active in discord?
I know sometimes i will find i am forgetting to type to those not in discord.

I am hoping in game voice will do wonders for comms

Side channel is the general channel - Ops is supposed to be used for operational stuff (not that it is very often), with target, mission, or a custom channel being used for a specific fight.  Can't help that many don't use what's available 

2 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

I am sure you looked, but just asking, were they perhaps active in discord?
I know sometimes i will find i am forgetting to type to those not in discord.

I am hoping in game voice will do wonders for comms

No clue don't do discord.

Why all of a sudden does side channel get used for everything anyways?

Channel 10 used to be the channel for general for all game INFO , maybe the occasional joke or question , but not like today where 95% was not game related and the other 5% were game related but pertaining to what town one could only guess.

Target and mission were none existing,  that's usually not the case usually very active channels for a town defence, just saying.

Why a BS channel well the ones that want to listen to BD can then tune to that channel and keep side channel open again for more important game related stuff.

who knows why - could be any number of things... From new players to predominately allied players swapping over...

Allies haven't used anything equivalent to the axis use of 10 for a long while (55 for air remains) for ground ops, preferring to instead to use target/ops combo.    

Best part of playing Axis is the vibrant side channel that has no correlation to anything going on in-game. Frankly, that is the main reason I still log in. Flying around and pew pew'ing is an added bonus when I am over an AO but on the way to, and coming back from, there is only one thing on my mind, contributing to the "junk" Axis side as you called it. To each their own, but Gsc and me have worked very hard to make it what it is today. Although he'll deny it as usual...

Image result for olivia wilde gif

Edited by zippy
1 person likes this

Axis side channel literally just lost us Beauring because a bunch of people were arguing about something and spamming insults at each other on the side channel so much that nobody could see hafgan and I asking for help for 15 minutes

Edited by dfir3
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, zippy said:

Best part of playing Axis is the vibrant side channel that has no correlation to anything going on in-game. Frankly, that is the main reason I still log in. Flying around and pew pew'ing is an added bonus when I am over an AO but on the way to, and coming back from, there is only one thing on my mind, contributing to the "junk" Axis side as you called it. To each their own, but Gsc and me have worked very hard to make it what it is today. Although he'll deny it as usual...

Yup, sometimes it's so boring ingame that I sit there and chat on side channel. LOL

2 people like this

14 hours ago, dre21 said:

No clue don't do discord.

Even if you prefer not to talk, i highly recommend at least checking discord.
Even being able to hear real time can be very helpful even if you cant talk back.

In my experience, neither allied or axis discord gets filled with vocal spam as it is simply not tolerated
not that no banter ever happens, but they dont become OT, the channel admins will boot you for being an arse

14 hours ago, dre21 said:

Why all of a sudden does side channel get used for everything anyways?

That, i can not answer you, axis dont have the market cornered there, same thing happens on allied side.

Used to be that side channel was kept open and clear for important comms to and from HC
Ops was usually outbound from HC only, giving info on what was being set up etc and what the comms channels were for a given op
Givet attack might be channel 77, for all involved units for example

The Mess Hall might be channel 99, where you could go and babble about anything you liked, and anyone who did not want to hear what was going on in it simply need not join it.

In squad, we actually used to turn off everything but squad chan, mission chan, and at least some on the joint ops chan, and let the squad leader monitor the HC comms etc
made for less chat overload

Originally Allied Comms channel standards covered countries (no allied channel except for CinC Ops), division and brigade channel. 

Kind of started breaking down with the original shot at voice comms and whispers for hierarchical comms, the move to ToEs, an emphasis on 'comming Allied/Being Allied', and eventually a breakdown in standing working country/div/brigade formations ingame.

The minimalist approach just mimics the flattened to no command structure.

Interestingly both sides use 30 for Navy, which for the Allies was the RN channel, maybe the ZIC one too.

The air channel for Allies, 55, was originally RAF, FAF was 90.  That should tell you what the real allied airforce is.

For Axis I'd recommend doing what Delems has been trying to enforce, channel 10 for official HC comms.  If you have active people watching it, you could make or look for calls there, I expect I will continue to make my emergency calls on Side though, just because I'm more likely to pull in more people faster when I need em.

A lot of this is returning players out of practice, or new players who have no idea any of these channels exist and talk on the side channel for tactical, because there is no HC, trainer or squad telling them otherwise, or no interest in comms discipline.

I spent a LOT of my advisor time on the comms thing.  I'm still convinced that how you comm is how you org is how you comm, and requires the highest attention of CRS to the intended gameplay experience.

I also know that people use the comms that works for them, and that these things go in cycles, according mostly to how the most effective leadership comms- so a good HC will get people going one way, a stronger non-HC organizing will get people comming his way, and all the channel modding in the world won't change that.

17 hours ago, dfir3 said:

Axis side channel literally just lost us Beauring because a bunch of people were arguing about something and spamming insults at each other on the side channel so much that nobody could see hafgan and I asking for help for 15 minutes

Well that was pretty much the case in Oostmalle yesterday,  not sure if we retained it or lost it , I didn't stick around I logged because of no comms in game. No one showed interest in where the EFMS where or the EI where coming from . So I said F it and logged . People rather argued and insulted each other.

I got nothing against a bit of  fun talk or a small discussion but when it dominates the chat and no info is being funneled in and Target and mission is not even being used then what's the ppint of trying to get any Teamwork going , the one thing that makes this game great .

3 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Even if you prefer not to talk, i highly recommend at least checking discord.
Even being able to hear real time can be very helpful even if you cant talk back.

In my experience, neither allied or axis discord gets filled with vocal spam as it is simply not tolerated
not that no banter ever happens, but they dont become OT, the channel admins will boot you for being an arse

That, i can not answer you, axis dont have the market cornered there, same thing happens on allied side.

Used to be that side channel was kept open and clear for important comms to and from HC
Ops was usually outbound from HC only, giving info on what was being set up etc and what the comms channels were for a given op
Givet attack might be channel 77, for all involved units for example

The Mess Hall might be channel 99, where you could go and babble about anything you liked, and anyone who did not want to hear what was going on in it simply need not join it.

In squad, we actually used to turn off everything but squad chan, mission chan, and at least some on the joint ops chan, and let the squad leader monitor the HC comms etc
made for less chat overload

Merlin51 the reason why I do not log into discord is because of the weapon platform I prefer to use ( the Stug)

I need all the SA I can get and can't have guys in my ear when I need to hear where and what kind of ET is coming .

It's annoying enough when a bunch of flyboys decide to have a dog fight on the deck and I just got a snipped of an ET approaching bit it's hard to hear because of the fighters above my head. Now add other players talking , sorry can't do it.

yes side channel is "OT" - and that is all it is.

10 is for ground ops/tactical reports

20 for LW and 30 for KM

keep this in mind - and use them appropriately.

and keep local town contact reports etc to target/local chat.

anything pressing the powers that be need to know about enemy strength/presence etc... pm the officer or put it on 10.

side is for side chatter, ot stuff.

keep this in mind, and use them appropriately.

when used p[properly, the flow of comms is manageable and logical, else we get all sort of fire alarms and troops running around like lemmings...which is not good for any sort of defensive or offense planning.

2 hours ago, dre21 said:

Merlin51 the reason why I do not log into discord is because of the weapon platform I prefer to use ( the Stug)

I need all the SA I can get and can't have guys in my ear when I need to hear where and what kind of ET is coming .

It's annoying enough when a bunch of flyboys decide to have a dog fight on the deck and I just got a snipped of an ET approaching bit it's hard to hear because of the fighters above my head. Now add other players talking , sorry can't do it.

Yea i hear you there.
That is one thing about teamspeak that i miss.
Could switch channels while in game, and go from the mission channel, to another channel.
Used to set up a couple for multi crew, so would be just you and the crew member, and you could hot key a direct person to person message.

Discord i run a lot on my phone with a little external speaker plugged into it so you can turn it down or mute it when you need to hear something.
Can still see peoples names light up when they talk.
Hard to alt tab to fiddle with it while trying not get get blown up, but i can tap on the phone.

Hoping when we get internal voice comms we will have some of that ability back

It starts with HC.  They have to stop using side to make announcements. 

Many HC don't seem to use anything but side chat to ask for players to spawn. I had to tune side chat to see what was needed when I started playing again after the summer, but eventually had to get rid of side, as Zippy and co. were making chat wiz by up the screen and I was not seeing messages relating to the AO/DO I was active in. Of course Side chat should be for guys having fun., Zipy and Moz are spot on. We need HC to just use Ground, and for everyone to get new players tuning ground (is it possible to auto default new players to the correct ground channels?)

I have been unable to tune into Help for many years, simply because the 6 channels we can tune are needed to play the game. I would tune Help and try to answer new guy questions IF I could tune in more than just six channels.

S! Ian 

On 9.12.2018 at 6:33 AM, zippy said:

giphy.gif

...SIDE bollocks is 80% of the reason to still login and has been for quite some time now - turn it off if you dont like it - also, just for MO we have to keep chatting on side cos...for...reasons

DONT TAKE AWAY MY STAPLER !!

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

I

I have been unable to tune into Help for many years, simply because the 6 channels we can tune are needed to play the game. I would tune Help and try to answer new guy questions IF I could tune in more than just six channels.

S! Ian 

I'm in the same boat, had to dump help for the other channels to get everything for battle.  I could ditch air channel I suppose but its too handy for calls for help and assessing who is out there.

11 hours ago, gsc said:

giphy.gif

...SIDE bollocks is 80% of the reason to still login and has been for quite some time now - turn it off if you dont like it - also, just for MO we have to keep chatting on side cos...for...reasons

DONT TAKE AWAY MY STAPLER !!

Dr. Cox will be missed. Also, WB Reyern!