• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badgnus

Integrating Squads into HC actions

13 posts in this topic

My thought is that HC should have a tool .squads that would tell them what squads were on and how many in each squad.  Then HC could put out on the side channel "WHIPS defend town x" then let the WHIPS worry about guarding CPs and the bunker etc.  Also then the Senior squad member would be in charge of the town and direct unaffiliated players.  This would then require coordination between HC and squads---"WHIPS can you spare a few men to work fbs?"  I really think we can and should get away from the side channel messages "SOMEONE... spawn an engi"  "SOMEONE guard the bunker".  I would like to see the unaffiliated players start to ask "What squad is attacking Ciney" rather than "who has the map".

Interesting however what if you have a squad that is primarily defense and you ask them to go on attack. I think the tool is useful to contact those squads and coordinate with them. 

Which does happen in game now (not as much as it should) as last night I was working with sw1 as map OIC and leading 7th army. 

He asked on side chat for people to help with getting off defense as we were in logyuen and Orval. He gave us an ambitious Target and we set six fms to Ciney. As we started to pull axis off of attack it freed more defenders up to join the established fms and spawnables we had taken. We (the squad) focussed on two cps and worked as a team.  We had a tank covering road with a tank watching his six behind him for sappers and then I had a infantry watching his six. Coordination when done in this game works very well.

1 person likes this

If I had a squad comms/force list tool as an HC, I'd be more inclined to HC.

Just another HC tool that has been needed for decades.

Course you would need a .squadon/.squadoff so squads could drop off if they don't want to be visible to HCs.

Don't forget Squad Liaison, it was working great up to the point that Allied HC collapsed and SLs were driven off by being mistaken for HCs.  Code it right.

Why another .command that no one use or understand, and that is unreadable in the chat window?

A formal tab in the UI showing up active squads and some info would be better :)

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, BLKHWK8 said:

Interesting however what if you have a squad that is primarily defense and you ask them to go on attack. I think the tool is useful to contact those squads and coordinate with them. 

Yes, the HC would not "order" any squad to do anything; there would have to be coordination between the squad and HC.  

18 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

Why another .command that no one use or understand, and that is unreadable in the chat window?

A formal tab in the UI showing up active squads and some info would be better :)

Of COURSE you have a UI for HC with that list, like I said an adhoc chain of command that fits what players do and org, not force them into artificial RPG roles that have no functional bearing.  AO/DO commander screens too.

No, you don't force squads to display on that screen or talk to HC- facilitate, not force.  I got long experience telling me forcing doesn't work.

As long as you have squad buy-in, the whole "HC system" more or less solves itself. When the game first started the earliest HC was nothing more than a list of names and a special forum. The lower levels KG/Division Commander spots were filled by squad members, and the upper level Army/Theater/Side was filled up by CRS-approved HC that rose through the ranks. Never did a squad "get ordered" to do anything because 1) it wouldn't work and 2) you didn't have to do it since squads policed themselves.

We would routinely have players checking on EWS, monitoring FB status, or flying air recon. If you didn't have a picture of what was going along your sector of the front you were bound to be caught with your pants down. All of this was created organically with squads taking care of their sector of the front. You can say that technically the "HC ordered" someone to do something, but it was really a squad member to another squad member. The status of HC in the lower levels such as KG commanders and even Division commanders was pretty gravy and just there to fill out of the roster so that we were staffed across all time zones. I would say of the 16 or however many officers were under 1st Panzer, maybe only 5% were genuinely interested in climbing up through the ranks, the rest was just squad members filling out a dual role that we already did as a squad.

1 person likes this

The HC needs to get back to Teaching the players and Guiding the Battles like how it was designed in the beginning. Yes there are a few things beyond that like RDP an such. This game has and always will be the best battle game ever. No set routes or AI to force you to go a set way. If you can think it, you can make it happen. As one of the Founders of the OCS program for the Axis side it was about TEACHING and LEADING  Players into Battles and How the Game mechanics work. With 1.36 alot of this will have to be relearned and adjusted to what CRS gives us.  It brings up the same OLD STORY ...... KISS     Keep it simple stupid.............. The real question is what are you going to  do to help the GAME and PLAYERS, CRS can only give us TOOLS we have to learn how to use them. I have watched the chats for the last 2 months on both sides and the BS complaints on both sides is are the same. No other game has tried to be more player helpful than this one. Hell players took over the Company to make it better. So what are you going to do ?

1 hour ago, porsche said:

The HC needs to get back to Teaching the players and Guiding the Battles like how it was designed in the beginning. Yes there are a few things beyond that like RDP an such. This game has and always will be the best battle game ever. No set routes or AI to force you to go a set way. If you can think it, you can make it happen. As one of the Founders of the OCS program for the Axis side it was about TEACHING and LEADING  Players into Battles and How the Game mechanics work. With 1.36 alot of this will have to be relearned and adjusted to what CRS gives us.  It brings up the same OLD STORY ...... KISS     Keep it simple stupid.............. The real question is what are you going to  do to help the GAME and PLAYERS, CRS can only give us TOOLS we have to learn how to use them. I have watched the chats for the last 2 months on both sides and the BS complaints on both sides is are the same. No other game has tried to be more player helpful than this one. Hell players took over the Company to make it better. So what are you going to do ?

Well stated.

1 person likes this

Very well said porsche. We need to get the Smokey the Bear attitude back in the game, not just HC on both sides, but squads, non-aligned players, and returning vets. Things won't magically become better unless we work hard at making them better. I see a ton of improvement on that end, and 1.36 is only going to help S!

6 hours ago, porsche said:

Well said.

S!

4 hours ago, aismov said:

Very well said porsche. We need to get the Smokey the Bear attitude back in the game, not just HC on both sides, but squads, non-aligned players, and returning vets. Things won't magically become better unless we work hard at making them better. I see a ton of improvement on that end, and 1.36 is only going to help S!

Having only been back for a few months now, I can say that some fundamentals have gone by the wayside a bit.  Hopefully, 1.36 and the squad rebuilding efforts will encourage folks to get the HCs back up to full strength, and with the right attitude(s), the HCs can transition back to facilitating gameplay from a leadership/teaching angle, as opposed to being responsible for the whole shabang.

S!

15 hours ago, augetout said:

Having only been back for a few months now, I can say that some fundamentals have gone by the wayside a bit.  Hopefully, 1.36 and the squad rebuilding efforts will encourage folks to get the HCs back up to full strength, and with the right attitude(s), the HCs can transition back to facilitating gameplay from a leadership/teaching angle, as opposed to being responsible for the whole shabang.

S!

That's the objective

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0