• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
imded

BRIDGES = no AO or DO,make it just like AI

28 posts in this topic

Bridges :

• No AO or DO, You can blow or repair at will.
  • No auto repair.
  • Make it 80 charges/repair kits to accomplish mission.

I know what you are going to say about POINTS. At present it takes one charge/repair kit to get 10 points.

Now think about that. To blow/repair a bridge and get max points. You have to put one charge/repair kit  on, then DESPAWN and come back. Rinse and repeat, X 79.

So here is what transpires with no spawn delays.

1. DRIVE to the bridge. Lets say 10 minutes on average..
  2. SET a FMS near as possible to the bridge, but you cant make the bridge the target, due to mechanics. 1 1/2 minutes.
  3. DESPAWN the truck. 10 seconds
  4. SPAWN the ENGINEER. 10-15 seconds, if there is no spawn delay.
  5. RUN to the bridge and set ONE CHARGE/REPAIR. 15-25 seconds
  6. RUN to the FMS and DESPAWN. 30 seconds ish.
  7. RESPAWN, RINSE AND REPEAT THE PROCESS.

So, just one charge cost you 13 minutes for 10 points

All subsequent charges/repair about 3 minutes X 79 = almost 3 HOURS to get 790 points

So all told you get 800 points at about 3.25 hours.

As you can see that is a LOT of time to invest on getting points, and the higher in rank you go, the points don't give you a lot. Yes if you are a E1 it gets you a rank plus.

But if you are an E6, it just makes a small dent.

IMDED (SPD)

Oscar alpha Oscar

1 person likes this

On 12/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, imded said:

Bridges :

• No AO or DO, You can blow or repair at will.
  • No auto repair.
  • Make it 80 charges/repair kits to accomplish mission.

Agreed. Get rid of AO/DO and let the playerbase handle it. 80 repair kits is a bit steep though I would think, especially given how easy it is to blow the bridge.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, aismov said:

Agreed. Get rid of AO/DO and let the playerbase handle it. 80 repair kits is a bit steep though I would think, especially given how easy it is to blow the bridge.

Takes 80 charges to blow a bridge. That is why I suggested it be same. One charge on an AI = one repair kit is how I came to this conclusion. Personally I think AI should require greater damage/repair for it. Lets say requires 3 charges/repair as it is Manned so to speak, and NO machine guns to destroy them.

As for planes, it should be greater direct hits than it is now. As 80 charges comes to 800 pounds of TNT, or something like that. So planes should be required to use that much in BOMB equivalent.

So, CRS this should be addressed please. Comments?

I think the only real problem would be bridges being destroyed by an attacking side that the HC actually want standing.   Everyone things a little different and a random actor could make the wrong conclusion and take a bridge down that stops his own side' attack dead in its tracks.  Perhaps more bridge AO/DO's or make it a PPO so that when placed by a player, it shows up on the map so HC  knows someone is blowing their key bridge.

1 person likes this

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, blakeh said:

I think the only real problem would be bridges being destroyed by an attacking side that the HC actually want standing.   Everyone things a little different and a random actor could make the wrong conclusion and take a bridge down that stops his own side' attack dead in its tracks.  Perhaps more bridge AO/DO's or make it a PPO so that when placed by a player, it shows up on the map so HC  knows someone is blowing their key bridge.

A .own command tells you what is happing with the bridge.

As for someone doing something against the wishes of HC, most likely that would be a GREENTAG who would generally get BORED quickly and lose interest. Yes someone will screw up, but overall this would not be a problem. The one to watch would be the spy and according to CRS that is rare.

Takes 40 charges to drop a bridge. (or did last I checked)

Change to 80, give 1 rank point - and agree -make it so can rebuild or destroy at will - no HC need.

Edited by delems

New players would probably sabotage attacks and defenses for their own side by messing around with the bridges.  Just for the fun of it.

Same reason we don’t have friendly fire in game.

Probably best to leave the DO AO system on bridges as it is now.

Edited by krazydog
1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, krazydog said:

New players would probably sabotage attacks and defenses for their own side by messing around with the bridges.  Just for the fun of it.

Same reason we don’t have friendly fire in game.

Probably best to leave the DO AO system on bridges as it is now.

Have to agree with this point. There is a subset of players that simply like to grief for the lulz. That said, if it's any easy switch to flip I would give it a try for a map just to see. I personally think it would be less of an issue than some think, however.

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, aismov said:

Have to agree with this point. There is a subset of players that simply like to grief for the lulz. That said, if it's any easy switch to flip I would give it a try for a map just to see. I personally think it would be less of an issue than some think, however.

I agree it would not be a major issue but it could get annoying.

Some guys get annoyed when people block VEH spawns and AB gates with PPOs.  And those usually only require 1 HE charge to clear.  

People will get more annoyed if they have to run 40 repair kits to fix a bridge destroyed by a new guy who was playing around with it.  

It wouldn’t be the end of the world but it could get annoying :)

Edited by krazydog
1 person likes this

I like the no ao / do required for bridge activities.  The amount of charges or repair kits is excessive .

One of the most boring things in this game to do is repair bridges - right behind blowing unguarded fbs. 

So lets make it take more time ?

1 person likes this

BAD BAD idea, for one simple reason.

A bridge griefer can sign onto the side that say wants the bridge up, fly in a bomber, and blow it up without even the town/base AA firing to slow them down, much less the aerial CAP or player AA guns.

Same thing with bridge up, you could sign onto the other side that has engineers when you don't or cannot get there in one piece, and repair the bridge.  Can't stop them even if you are literally sitting there defending the bridge, cause you can't friendly fire.

Leave it the hell alone.  Increase the AO/DO count instead.

Make planes need more bombs needed to kill bridge.

10 direct hits would be about right.

58 minutes ago, imded said:

Make planes need more bombs needed to kill bridge.

10 direct hits would be about right.

DB7 and havoc require 10 bombs to drop a bridge

Should be done so players don't have to rely on HC or HC to rely on the number of bridge AOs.

Players can grief anything in game at any time... rarely happens, wouldn't worry about it.

Maximum 1 point per bridge hit or wrench.

*** One of the most boring things in this game to do is repair bridges 

Yes, but even being our game is an abstraction in areas... 40 wrenches is no where close to the time required to build a bridge irl. (maybe 10,000)?

So, upping it from 40 to 80 is a small concession to make it more realistic.

Is far easier to destroy a bridge than rebuild one.

41 minutes ago, delems said:

Should be done so players don't have to rely on HC or HC to rely on the number of bridge AOs.

Players can grief anything in game at any time... rarely happens, wouldn't worry about it.

I would.  Bridge state is huge.  Bridge state you can't stop cause players are jerks is huger.

*** I would.  Bridge state is huge.  Bridge state you can't stop cause players are jerks is huger.

Again, wouldn't worry about it.

If ya want to be a jerk, can easily destroy all a sides engrs or sappers way faster than trying to take down a bridge - no one will care.

Besides, newbs won't know how to go out to a bridge and destroy it in the first place.

Not only that, 99% of the bridges in game aren't tactical or strategic in the way the game mechanics are currently setup.

Edited by delems

4 minutes ago, delems said:

Not only that, 99% of the bridges in game aren't tactical or strategic in the way the game mechanics are currently setup.

On the other hand, 99% of the bridges actually blown up or defended ARE of direct tactical or strategic import.
Most bridge activity in game centers directly on either keeping someone out, or attempting to get someone in.

If one is trying to retain hold of, or take hold of dinant, one would worry about the bridge into dinant, rather than the 80 bridges in paris, right?

I think you may have started after objectives came about?
There was a time, for a bit, where you just hit stuff, any stuff, no objectives at all.
When you hear old timers talking about strange snaking and curley cue front lines and balloon pockets 20km behind the lines, they are talking about that era

Quite a few people found it was not terribly fun to be crossing a bridge in your groups convoy, to see your own planes come overhead
and rain bombs on it, landing you down in the river, which kills you if you are a vehicle.

And sometimes it happened by accident, your bombers where trying to light up the town for you and one too many carpet bomb runs
got close to the bridge and dropped everyone pressing across it into the drink.

And you will always find a few, that given the opportunity, will become big male body parts, and make it a career profession
to screw something up

Ya either let players control action or HC..... pick one.

I know which way I'd go.

And just now, allies repaired bridge in 5 min - that's bogus.   No one can rebuild a bridge in 5 min

Change wrenches required to 80.

5 hours ago, delems said:

And just now, allies repaired bridge in 5 min - that's bogus.   No one can rebuild a bridge in 5 min

you can, you just need more than one guy and a truck\crate
also how much damage remaining on the bridge comes into play

wrenches amount is same for everyone, there is no side specific setting

10 hours ago, delems said:

40 kits is 40 kits....... with 1 person it takes a while, you get 10 people it goes fast. 

You all missing the point - it should take a DAY (if not days) to rebuild a bridge.

I know our game is an abstraction, 40 is just way to low; 80 is still ridiculously low, but better.

And, I worry about newbs sabotaging bridges, just below vets spawning SPAA (or AA) and camping spawns to death.............. (hint, it don't happen)

Edited by delems

On 5/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, delems said:

Look at you raging over too fast bridge state, while it's aokay to have players fix or takedown bridges unopposed.

This

stuff

matters.

Original Rats got this one right.

*** Look at you raging over too fast bridge state

Read again slower and comprehend what I am saying.

(hint, my issue is not with the bridge being up........)

Edited by delems

2 minutes ago, delems said:

*** Look at you raging over too fast bridge state

Read again slower and comprehend what I am saying.

(hint, my issue is not with the bridge being up........)

I understood it was about the timing, but my point is that you're worked up over the bridge popping up cause it matters, yet somehow it's okay to let smartypants griefers do whatever they like whenever to this important game resource state.