• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New job posting.   02/23/2019

The Community Management team is looking for war correspondents to provide news stories or after action reports to be published on our website and our Steam forums.  Player correspondents imbedded with a squad is fine along with reporters overall who might want to produce stories about the campaign, a piece of equipment, a battle or a skirmish - all stories are encouraged and welcome.  If intertested in a volunteer war correspondent position apply at Tman@corneredrats.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
imded

Some more RANDOMNESS to the game.

8 posts in this topic

CRS you have stated adding some randomness to the game in the TIERS.

That is all well and good. :ice_cream:

I would like to suggest some other randomness.

Towns have a basic foot print for the most part.  So, make several layouts that can be randomized to fit those foot prints.

When you start the map, it runs a random program and chooses which layout will be used for TOWN 'A' and locks it in for the WHOLE CAMP MAP. Repeat/Rinse for all the capable towns that can be randomized.

For the bigger towns, have sections that can be randomized.

And/or you could just make sub sections that will work for all towns/city. Or a combination of all.

This will make going into a town interesting more. It would take years to get used to things. Especially if you have a greater level of randomness, as this can be built up over time. You can add/subtract to the pool that is chosen from.

ImDed

Charlie, Alpha, Charlie

Im pretty sure this engine would not allow that let alone the resources to code it.  Waste of time tbh.

1 hour ago, imded said:

Towns have a basic foot print for the most part.  So, make several layouts that can be randomized to fit those foot prints.

Towns are completely handmade, aside from the piece of ground itself
any sameness between town A and town B lay with the towns designer, and possibly time dead lines, there are no templates or copy N paste.

Having towns randomly change, while i will not say impossible, would be very difficult and very hard for the host and the client, but especially the host.
There would be a massive amount of database purging and churning and would introduce the ability for a large amount of error.
It would also increase the size of the game client quite a bit as it would double the size of all the terrain related data and assets for each iteration of randomization.

The idea is kind of neat, albiet perhaps eventually a bit confusing to the guy on the ground, or an RDP bomber etc.
But towns are more then just 3d objects.
They have code and data that defines what a thing is, if it connects to anything, does it play a role in supply, etc.
All this is read by the host and imported into a database on the strat server
that is constantly watched over for changes in state and ownership and link status etc.
Among other things, randomizing that would make it terribly difficult to debug any problems

Edited by Merlin51

Maybe after everything about the current map is debugged and expanded, you (and your ten assistants) could clone the file and edit up say four or five versions.

Even a different starting front line for some campaigns would be nice. Maybe develop a couple different iterations that are balanced in terms of of % owned etc.... 

Maybe it is tricky though. I suppose the current front line is drawn to keep distance of factory towns furthest from front line (evenly proportioned) ... probably hard to do unless more factory towns are introduced.

37 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Maybe after everything about the current map is debugged and expanded, you (and your ten assistants) could clone the file and edit up say four or five versions.

5086 files after compilation, a fully populated map? probably 19,000 files before compilation.
I will be needing more than 10 fingers me thinks.

21 minutes ago, choad said:

Even a different starting front line for some campaigns would be nice. Maybe develop a couple different iterations that are balanced in terms of of % owned etc.... 

As the map expands, that is very possible, would take ohm a good amount of time to set up, and once done, saved to re-use.
but they could be set up as different scenarios and such with different starting lines.
Given enough real estate, you could have game start post fall, with the UK standing alone, and see if they can hang on or eventually push a D Day

Or have the brits and us troops starting in 42 down in itally, and see if they can push up and regain france, etc.
Could even try starting pre blitz, and let the axis try and make the initial push

This is the game suggestions isn't it?

As for doing it now, I knew it would be near impossible if not worse.

Thought we were working towards new engine with lots of bells and whistles. Guess I was wrong.

Oh well.

Looks like suggestions are not welcome any more. Time to leave.

While neat in theory in terms of differing attacks, I'd be a bit leery as towns don't just exist as tactical spawn/capture points, but affect the map by how easy or difficult they are to take from a given direction.

A randomized town can seriously upset the map design and pave easymode captures- or make fortresses out of places we don't think of as difficult now.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0