• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
gretnine

New truck audio

115 posts in this topic

Good day CRS.

Today, I am here to be brutally honest with you guys. Whoever came up with the new truck sounds especially for the allied trucks should probably leave the audio work to someone else. The beddy sounds more of a leaf blower than a truck to anyone that hears the audio. Laffy on the other hand sounds like a long-tail boat motor. If this is your realistic take on what the trucks sounded in real life -- I don't know what to say. 

These are honestly one of the worst changes in recent years. It sounds unrealistic, ridiculous in fact and it completely ruins the immersion. This is, at least when you are not the one driving the trucks themselves. 

What exactly was wrong with the old audio that made you decide to give mufflers for the trucks as an early Christmas present?

Edited by gretnine
1 person likes this

Interesting. From what I understand, those are the real deal rather than what Corn had managed to scrabble together 20 years ago...

12 minutes ago, bus0 said:

ouch!

g9 is it that bad.

Edited my post to add some comparisons that came to mind. Yeah, it's not exactly great. 

I want to add that the audio inside the trucks sound OK. Little loud though.

Edited by gretnine

weird.. while they definitely sounded different, in the end I felt they sounded more realistic than what we had.. I thought the old ones sounded like lawn mowers

1 person likes this

I don't really care what they sound like as long as they sound distinguishable.  

What I do care about is the audio range.  Has the 3rd-person audio range for trucks been reduced, and if so, what range are we talking about?

Also you're a noob gret :)

Edited by Capco
2 people like this

Cap yes the attuination was reduced. That being said it doesn't mean a person with head phones can't crank the sound all the way up 

2 hours ago, gretnine said:

What exactly was wrong with the old audio that made you decide to give mufflers for the trucks as an early Christmas present?

truck hunting is too easy, making battles small and boring or ending fights before they even start

it's been asked to reduce truck audio for several years now. one of the few suggestions that get widespread support from both sides.

I think the new truck sounds are a perfect example of the fact that using actual recordings of the real deal does not automatically translate into realistic audio within a video game. Sorry to be brutally honest, but the new sounds should definitely be tweaked.

And FWIW, they're way too loud (painfully loud) for the driver.

Edited by xanthus

9 minutes ago, bus0 said:

Apart the the new sounds, WHY is there no STU/6pdr in this TIER?

They're redoing the tiered introductions and triads.  

For T1, the Allies get the MAS40 and the Crusader II, while the Axis get the P3H and Pak38.  

Ohm said it will also vary from campaign to campaign.  

10 minutes ago, bus0 said:

Apart the the new sounds, WHY is there no STU/6pdr in this TIER?

I believe there is another thread on that.. 

16 minutes ago, Capco said:

I don't really care what they sound like as long as they sound distinguishable.  

What I do care about is the audio range.  Has the 3rd-person audio range for trucks been reduced, and if so, what range are we talking about?

Also you're a noob gret :)

Yeah the range was reduced according to the patch notes. It's even more difficult than before to distinguish the range of the trucks now solely based on audio.

This is the range I could hear the first feint audio from a beddy while being at the FB. 

OUy6d6k.png

Laffy:

e1yNu0w.png

Opel: This is where you start to hear a really feint audio that resembles a small airplane motor. Stays the same pretty much all the way up to 200-300meter range. 

wCQpIv6.png

2 people like this

All of them are the same distance in sound and that did not change (1500 meters).. The attenuation was adjusted (softness of the sound)..

1 person likes this

Just now, SCKING said:

All of them are the same distance in sound and that did not change (1500 meters).. The attenuation was adjusted (softness of the sound)..

Ah, I see.  

Is that distance changeable?  That's what people wanted in regards to the truck audios.  

Just now, Capco said:

Ah, I see.  

Is that distance changeable?  That's what people wanted in regards to the truck audios.  

I am not sure to be honest.. I would assume so but not sure what it would take (resource wise) to change it.. Not sure how it’s tied into other vehicle sound distances, etc.. Probably setup as an “all or nothing” setting and would need dev time to separate it. 

1 person likes this

Just now, SCKING said:

I am not sure to be honest.. I would assume so but not sure what it would take (resource wise) to change it.. Not sure how it’s tied into other vehicle sound distances, etc.. Probably setup as an “all or nothing” setting and would need dev time to separate it. 

Cool.  If you could make sure that is passed up and properly discussed by the powers that be, that would be great!  

As majornoob said, a lot of people have asked for this for a while.  Any town that has an active defense makes setting new FMS's almost impossible.  That's also the same reason why the placement timer was lowered from the dreadful 3 minutes or whatever it used to be.  

You basically get your only chance to setup around the town when initially outside of EWS range and before any defenders are spawned in to listen and track down your trucks.  After that setting an FMS gets exponentially more difficult.  No FMSs = no battles.  

Reducing the truck audio would be a huge boon for making battles more realistic and enjoyable, and not just about getting the drop on the defender.  

Not that bad after listening on the test server.  They are soft yes, but that softness does help with masking their exact where-abouts.  

Maybe it could use some tweaking to please people's ears, but functionally this is a step in the right direction.  Good work guys.  

And the Opel legit sounds like an airplane lol.

Wow.  For 17ish years I have become able (for the most part) to figure direction and distance on an opel.  Given the new paradigm that began last night, I believe we are going back to school on that task.  If those are the actual truck sounds, then I am all for it, even leaving aside the distance and all that stuff.  Just the challenge of learning the new sounds will bring a newness to the game.

S!

I think the noises sound alright. 

Before they sounded almost like a tank, now they sound like trucks in the 40’s. 

5 hours ago, gretnine said:

If this is your realistic take on what the trucks sounded in real life -- I don't know what to say. 

These are honestly one of the worst changes in recent years. It sounds unrealistic, ridiculous in fact and it completely ruins the immersion. This is, at least when you are not the one driving the trucks themselves. 

The sounds are from real Opel Blitz, real Laffly S20, and real Bedford OY trucks etc running in real life.
There are different sounds to the trucks as well.
In cab is different than external, which is taken near rear from outside.
They also have an idle sound.

These trucks do have full exhausts, and they do have mufflers, though nothing of the cadillac variety
In the cab doesnt sound the same as standing outside, it's noisy, sounds like tin, and underhood noise and drivetrain.

If the trucks should not sound like, and use audio from their real life counterparts, then what should they sound like?

I just checked each of the trucks online from 3rd person, each is doing as intended.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

The sounds are from real Opel Blitz, real Laffly S20, and real Bedford OY trucks etc running in real life.

If the trucks should not sound like, and use audio from their real life counterparts, then what should they sound like?

Could you provide me the source material you used to replicate the audio? Because what i found, albeit by doing a very quick search, they sound way more toyish in-game than they did in the real world. Thats my biggest complaint with the new audio, because they sound like a wind-up toy cars from a happy meal instead. Especially the allied ones.  

1 person likes this

Curious, which opel was sampled? It doesn’t matter much but still curious.

fyi for reference, unless I’m misreading the opel 3ton variant was the most powerful with a 75hp straight six. 75hp folks, that’s not going to produce much noise.