gretnine

New truck audio

119 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Capco said:

Has the 3rd-person audio range for trucks been reduced, and if so, what range are we talking about?

When we can do currently is change the attenuation
How loud it is and how far away before the volume fades.
We changed it to the most happy medium we could find between getting the truck to fade low enough to get lost in battle sounds quickly
and having the truck roll right over you without ever hearing it, as attenuation effects the volume right beside you as well as fading at a distance.

To do more, a code based solution would need to be investigated.
The way it works now is if a unit is in your vizlist, you get data from it.
Part of that data is, IS MY ENGINE RUNNING, and AM I MOVING.
If those answers are yes, then your client automatically plays the appropriate sound, at the attenuation for the distance the unit reports itself to be away from you
at the speed your client perceives it to be moving.

There would need to be some kind of additional check for IS DISTANCE < X or something like that for the audio
I dont code so i only know in half arsed theory what i think it would need to do, and could not say how to actually do it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Could you provide me the source material you used to replicate the audio? Because what i found, albeit by doing a very quick search, they sound way more toyish in-game than they did in the real world. Thats my biggest complaint with the new audio, because they sound like a wind-up toy cars from a happy meal instead. Especially the allied ones.  

What do you use to listen? My old custom 5.1 system with 12” cerwin Vega sub and Polk bookshelves sounded like amazing and compared to even my nice headphones reproduce bass response you just don’t get without sizable speakers moving lots of air.

 

most games over mix bass in part because most people have [censored] audio gear these days. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, madrebel said:

What do you use to listen? My old custom 5.1 system with 12” cerwin Vega sub and Polk bookshelves sounded like amazing and compared to even my nice headphones reproduce bass response you just don’t get without sizable speakers moving lots of air.

most games over mix bass in part because most people have [censored] audio gear these days. 

Yeah, my audio gear certainly isn't the issue. Don't worry about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, madrebel said:

Curious, which opel was sampled

blitz A 4x4
It was for sale, but $50,000 not in my budget
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

the audio on that last one is awful but something to note is how easily you can hear the humans yelling over top of the sound. what are you expecting in terms of sound? these aren't nascars pushing many hundreds of HP, they're all sub 80HP trucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, madrebel said:

 

the audio on that last one is awful but something to note is how easily you can hear the humans yelling over top of the sound. what are you expecting in terms of sound? these aren't nascars pushing many hundreds of HP, they're all sub 80HP trucks.

 

Thanks for the clips.

Have you been in-game, listening to the truck audio of each of the truck after the patch? To clarify, I'm not talking how they sound inside and behind the wheel. Make a second account and go to a remote place and drive towards your other account with a truck. Tell me whether these sub 80HP trucks would sound the same in real life in a similar situation. 

for example, Opel in game sounds the same as a plane leaving the airfield. I wouldn't even be surprised if the same audio clip has been used for the truck.

 

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Audio from the 3rd person standing there, video from the 1st person drivers seat.
game can only use 2 audio loops (from 3rd person) Idle and Running
It uses doppler shifting to change the speed (basically speeds up or slows down the loop)

 

 

5 minutes ago, gretnine said:

for example, Opel in game sounds the same as a plane leaving the airfield. I wouldn't even be surprised if the same audio clip has been used for the truck.

You would be surprised then to find that is very incorrect.
The Opel is recorded from an Opel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now do the same by driving towards the standing person from ~1000m and record how it sounds from his point of view. That's what i've been talking about since the start, not exactly what you just showed above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Thanks for the clips.

Have you been in-game, listening to the truck audio of each of the truck after the patch? To clarify, I'm not talking how they sound inside and behind the wheel. Make a second account and go to a remote place and drive towards your other account with a truck. Tell me whether these sub 80HP trucks would sound the same in real life in a similar situation. 

for example, Opel in game sounds the same as a plane leaving the airfield. I wouldn't even be surprised if the same audio clip has been used for the truck.

 

just heard them in game now. sounds fine to me through a pair of audio technica ATH-M50x powered by a rolls headphone amp.

 

the plane sounds i'll grant you leave much to be desired. the trucks sounding like the planes in your opinion is more damning of the plane sounds IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, madrebel said:

the plane sounds i'll grant you leave much to be desired. the trucks sounding like the planes in your opinion is more damning of the plane sounds IMO.

All the games initial sounds came out of a box so to speak.
Stock generic sound libraries.
They did not have the funds or the time in 2001 to do anything different, they made best due with what they had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Audio from the 3rd person standing there, video from the 1st person drivers seat.
game can only use 2 audio loops (from 3rd person) Idle and Running
It uses doppler shifting to change the speed (basically speeds up or slows down the loop)

 

9 minutes ago, gretnine said:

and record how it sounds from his point of view.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

 

?

Christ. Have you heard how the truck audio sounds to a player from a distance longer than 5 meters? As i mentioned above; drive a truck from 1k towards a player and listen how the trucks sound all the way from 1000 meters from his point of view. Is that how sub 80HP trucks would sound in real life in a similar situation?

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

All the games initial sounds came out of a box so to speak.
Stock generic sound libraries.
They did not have the funds or the time in 2001 to do anything different, they made best due with what they had.

pretty sure the plane sounds got some sort of refresh ... 2010ish? at the same time it introduced hearing planes from a few hundred meters behind you, the uber loud wind noise, and 3rd person sounds that weren't stellar. iirc there have been a few adjustments since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Christ. Have you heard how the truck audio sounds to a player from a distance longer than 5 meters?

Yes, i have.
If the bedford starts at 5 meters away, i need to relearn my measuring.
But we can back up farther, to 1.1km and lets take an Opel
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, madrebel said:

pretty sure the plane sounds got some sort of refresh ... 2010ish? at the same time it introduced hearing planes from a few hundred meters behind you, the uber loud wind noise, and 3rd person sounds that weren't stellar. iirc there have been a few adjustments since.

Think they just got resampled from 11k to 22k
they orginally got heavily downsampled, some may have gotten swapped out as i remember a few sounds way back sounding like a tone generator
based thing, like the old stuka piccalo sound, and some engines maybe.

2010 Mike and I had started to work on sounds for i think 1.28?
but time did not allow for it to ever get finished and then things kind of broke down with the outside help aspect

Edited by Merlin51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Yes, i have.
If the bedford starts at 5 meters away, i need to relearn my measuring.
But we can back up farther, to 1.1km and lets take an Opel
 

 

Since you started with an opel, how about the laffly and beddy? Same distance. Just so everyone can hear. Much appreciated. 

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that video sounds fine. only real critique - you said you sampled from the rear, the 3rd person sound that is. technically, it should be even quiter then as the 'rear' sound is going to project away from the ear, you should hear the front suspension, wheels, and 3rd person motor sounds more prominently than the rear exhaust. however i'm guessing you only get to choose one and that to me doesn't sound bad at all. could it attenuate better, sure, the sound engine is from 01 after all.

ideally you could sample again with uber high end mics, many of them, encase the truck in egg crate foam as a pop filter and get 'better' sound but i'm guessing you had to settle for a single good quality mic through some sort of smart phone interface which these days produces pretty good samples anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something that hasn't changed in so long no doubt will receive some bit of an initial shocker. They sound much more like trucks of this era, so good job @Merlin51.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, madrebel said:

however i'm guessing you only get to choose one

Yes, you have an Engine sound (1st person from drivers seat)
An External Engine sound (3rd person) which has to suite every occasion so to speak
And an idlesound, which is shared and plays when the vehicle is not moving, or in 1st person your foot is not on the gas pedal
And since the sound loops, suspension noise would become annoying really fast.
And since the game uses a doppler mechanic to vary pitch and speed of the single audio source you have to pick what responds decently to that.
As you can imagine, a clunking squeaking suspension would respond very badly to that.
 

 

38 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Since you started with an opel, how about the laffly and beddy?

Give them a bit to upload, no fast internet in the swamp jungle
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Yes, i have.
If the bedford starts at 5 meters away, i need to relearn my measuring.
But we can back up farther, to 1.1km and lets take an Opel
 

 

ROFL! You just HAD to do it dintcha? Just couldn't stand it and restrain yourself? I was hoping to listen to this great example of the truck leaving as well, but nooooooo. You just HAD to turn the mic guy into a hood ornament! LOL!

JK! Good work! Definitely an improvement.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HATCH said:

You just HAD to do it dintcha?

Weeeell
I had to despawn to switch vehicle factions anyways :) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did we get new veh for Christmas and this welcome back soldier and none of the veh are even in game cause its tier1 lol that means no one get to play with them till end of January lol makes no sense

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, malvoc said:

Why did we get new veh for Christmas and this welcome back soldier and none of the veh are even in game cause its tier1 lol that means no one get to play with them till end of January lol makes no sense

What would your suggestion be to make it right?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.