• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
gretnine

New truck audio

119 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

What would your suggestion be to make it right?

To post in a proper thread and not hijack gretnine's audio thread would be a good start?

I cant wait to try all of this and put my feedback.....If I have understood correctly... Do trucks have new audios now? Have you guys tested ingame if the new audio volume/enphasis have increased the dificult to detect and hunt trucks? This is the most important thing IMO. 

Have to disagree with you here Mo. If a sample from the actual vehicle can be had, it should be used. Same for all the weapons, if the sample can be produced without significant cost then use the real thing not some stock sound that is close.

2 people like this

I'm fine with new sounds.  Different yes, but not a biggie imo - as long as they are more based on reality I prefer the new sounds.

One question, did the axis HTs sound get reduced?  We have to use them to tow all our big guns - can't use truck like allies.

Edited by delems

I like the new sounds.  With my headphones, they sound authentic, if a little high pitched on the Allied side.  Folks with short memories perhaps don't recall how much crap was spewed back in the day about the truck noises not being authentic.

I have done my share of opel hunting, and the past couple of days it has been much more difficult to get a good bead on where they are, and where they are heading.

S!

3 people like this

23 hours ago, gretnine said:

Yeah, my audio gear certainly isn't the issue. Don't worry about that. 

With respect mate, it's your gear, or your hearing aid or both.

Some people in game were crying the opel sounds like an airplane.
An airplane?
No mate, not even close.
Know what sounds like an airplane?
A bugeye sprite with twin webbers and a stepped header,
Sounds like a bloody damned spitfire straffing the ground, and it's only 4 cylinders.

I don't know what an opel sounds like, because i've never driven one, though i guess it does not sound much different from an american
GMC inline, since it essentially is one.

I will say it sounds like a series 1 rover except a bit bigger and a bit ragged in the silencer.
That is probably close enough, i am sure it is not perfect, but the game probably does not do perfect anyways.
I would not really know as i am too busy trying not to get shot, than to try applying some audiophile critique to every audio aspect of the game.

You people are bloody well crying, Yes crying, shrieking over it, like children.
In Game, filling up the chat.
In discord, so you can not hear a warning of an enemy because some ninny is having a nervous break down because of a different truck sound.
Where did than enemy tank come from? Why was there no warning?
Oh...
There was a warning, 3 pages of chat up, above the shrieking :(

People can't play the bloody game, because some of you are having tantrums like very small spoiled children who don't like what they got
and so have decided to punish everyone else around them for it.

And then you wonder why they don't pop back in?

So much for my yearly post, back to steam....

New Truck sounds don't even rate a D-!

They are a flat Failing grade.  The opel sounds like a cross between a motorboat engine and a distant plane engine.  There are actual Opel sounds on Youtube and the internet.  They are not hard to find.  They sound NOTHING like the game sounds.  Not even REMOTELY close.

8 hours ago, knightrydr said:

With respect mate, it's your gear, or your hearing aid or both.

Some people in game were crying the opel sounds like an airplane.
An airplane?
No mate, not even close.
Know what sounds like an airplane?
A bugeye sprite with twin webbers and a stepped header,
Sounds like a bloody damned spitfire straffing the ground, and it's only 4 cylinders.

I don't know what an opel sounds like, because i've never driven one, though i guess it does not sound much different from an american
GMC inline, since it essentially is one.

I will say it sounds like a series 1 rover except a bit bigger and a bit ragged in the silencer.
That is probably close enough, i am sure it is not perfect, but the game probably does not do perfect anyways.
I would not really know as i am too busy trying not to get shot, than to try applying some audiophile critique to every audio aspect of the game.

You people are bloody well crying, Yes crying, shrieking over it, like children.
In Game, filling up the chat.
In discord, so you can not hear a warning of an enemy because some ninny is having a nervous break down because of a different truck sound.
Where did than enemy tank come from? Why was there no warning?
Oh...
There was a warning, 3 pages of chat up, above the shrieking :(

People can't play the bloody game, because some of you are having tantrums like very small spoiled children who don't like what they got
and so have decided to punish everyone else around them for it.

And then you wonder why they don't pop back in?

So much for my yearly post, back to steam....

This post receives the " STAR OF EXCELLENCE" award!!! 

[censored], [censored], [censored], [censored], [censored], x 10 to the 26th power !!!

Will it every stop ? 

;) lol

I look forward to your post next year Knightrydr

S! 

:)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mcafeed said:

New Truck sounds don't even rate a D-!

They are a flat Failing grade.  The opel sounds like a cross between a motorboat engine and a distant plane engine.  There are actual Opel sounds on Youtube and the internet.  They are not hard to find.  They sound NOTHING like the game sounds.  Not even REMOTELY close.

I agree , I did a quick search for Opel Blitz and sure could not find the sound we have in game now. There was nothing wrong with the way the Opel sounded ,have not heard the Laffy yet was told that's the other Truck where the audio changed. 

All CRS had to do lower the audio  bit there was no need to change the whole sound.

2 hours ago, delems said:

They seem fine most the time; but at times they totally sound like aircraft - that is annoying.

Then you'd really hate the british  Cruiser, Crusader and Cavalier and Centaur tanks.
Ford_Liberty12.jpg

2 hours ago, dre21 said:

There was nothing wrong with the way the Opel sounded

It wasn’t the sound of an opel though. The new one is the sound of an opel.

4 hours ago, dre21 said:

I agree , I did a quick search for Opel Blitz and sure could not find the sound we have in game now. There was nothing wrong with the way the Opel sounded ,have not heard the Laffy yet was told that's the other Truck where the audio changed. 

All CRS had to do lower the audio  bit there was no need to change the whole sound.

There are literally youtube videos, with sound that matches the new ingame sounds, of the opels, etc, in this thread.

S!

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, madrebel said:

It wasn’t the sound of an opel though. The new one is the sound of an opel.

I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, augetout said:

There are literally youtube videos, with sound that matches the new ingame sounds, of the opels, etc, in this thread.

S!

What I said above. After thinking for a long while and  I grew up in Germany so I have heard a few of the German Trucks ( not the Opel Blitz ) but enough Trucks German build that yes they actually have that funny hum like they run on whatever and not diesel.

I guess when u sit behind an American Made Semi for over 20 years in my professional life then you tend to forget things even that I did the you tube search , I went that's not how they sound in game .

1 person likes this

we were able to get more trucks into a AO with the subdued audio.

the old ones were high pitched worn out 2 strokes.

they sounded more like bicycle noisemakers than engines

If I got the audio you get in those third person videos I'd be far happier, but I don't, I get the lawn mower sound.

In both the example drive by vids and ingame, I think part of the sample is being cutoff, particularly the bass, which creates the toy sound when all you have are the 'high notes'.

This is either the Doppler shift mechanic or audio samples with too wide a range in need of compression (pure guesswork, I am not an audio engineer).

Bottom line, it may render fine on your test equipment but not on my machine and apparently not on many others. 

It REALLY hurts immersion hearing those things as is, and I would be embarassed to make a big PR push with them as they are.

The job is NOT done here.

Edited by Kilemall

8 minutes ago, major0noob said:

we were able to get more trucks into a AO with the subdued audio.

That's huge.  

In fact that's the best news I've heard in months if true.  

To add to the confusion (or try to clear it up) .. the online videos I posted aren’t going to sound like merlin’s Sample either and you need to take in a lot of visual queues when looking at online video. I think Merlin’s sample is pretty good given the budget (zero dollars i’m guessing).

Given the lack of obvious reverb i’ll guess the sample was taken in a mostly open environment. This matters, a LOT. Why? Because bass bounces MUCH better than mid and high frequencies. The video I posted entitled ‘notsee ww2 trucks’ - pay close attention to the landscape, specifically the hills, these terrain features are bouncing back mostly bass and low mid range to the camera’s mic. You’ll get a slight sense of more bass. Sample those same trucks with no hard surfaces near by and you’ll hear less bass ... much like merlin’s Sample.

been learning a lot about this stuff over the past couple years playing with drum VST software. The room, the mics, the mixing board, and even the musician make a significant difference in how the final sample sounds and feels. In fact, some bands ONLY record in certain studios BECAUSE they like the way that studio’s room sounds. Meaning what you hear on the studio track is absolutely 100% unique to that room, you’ll never get that same sound anywhere else on the planet. The documentary SoundCity on Netflix does a good job covering the topic.

Point is, most people don’t hear these subtle details (poor audio gear, poor listening env, or untrained ear) nor do they understand what can affect the final sample. Why one sample ‘feels’ more bass heavy than another despite having the same source. Like Merlin mentioned earlier you can in fact write software that simulates how audio bounces in reality. Its not simple and our world environment complicates things however I’ll wager if we had reverb effects like this that Merlin’s sample inside an AB would feel much heavier on the bass, because you’re virtual ears will be picking up the low end more clearly from the reverb off the AB walls.

Also, in my time in this game the sounds have been completely swapped out at least 3 times that I recall. Small arms, cannons, engine sounds, etc. This is NOT the first time sounds were changed and it won’t be the last if we’re trying to incorporate actual samples from the real things. Why is this such a big deal now? We’ve been through much larger sound audits many times before.

25 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

This is either the Doppler shift mechanic or audio samples with too wide a range in need of compression (pure guesswork, I am not an audio engineer).

Bottom line, it may render fine on your test equipment but not on my machine and apparently not on many others. 

Ugh, compression .... no! God no compression is extremely over used.

99% its your audio setup. Thanks to BOSe and various other companies the average quality of audio gear is terrible. “Gaming” speakers headphones are typically the worst. Overly bass heavy, lacking mids, with shrill highs. OEMs try to have a wide range driver pushing all the bass and mids with no drivers actually responsible for the mids. This produces a hollow thin sound.

Its because of this that compression is used. You take the raw sample and run it out thru the effects chain, run some Uber heavy compression and then bring that back into the mix raising the levels until you arrive at a sound that ‘feels’ thicker. Google NY compression, usually 10-1 compression with a fast attack and a quick release intended to have the sound (usually drums) cut through the mix.

Do note, if you do this locating the trucks becomes easier.

52 minutes ago, Capco said:

That's huge.  

In fact that's the best news I've heard in months if true.  

not that huge, we got 5 in, 2 were camped instantly, 1 was beyond audio range (i genuinely fear this is the new norm), another was cut from 500m away, and the last was list2's 400m warpable.

soo, it's 1/5 effective. still better than nothing.

but still loosing a lot of trucks/FMS before the CP's are captureable, and still rare to contest a town and have a viable FMS.

stadykill was pure joy after axis got their spawnable, though the only reason they got it is cause there were no defenders for 15min.

so, stuff's happening. though there's still a majority of dead, abandoned, and futile AO's.

edit:

there was 3 hours of non-start AO's preceding the 5 FMS AO.

man, i played for 3 hours and there was only 1 fun battle... guys, this isn't cool.

Edited by major0noob

Audio quality good or not this change was a long time coming. The truck sounds were artificially loud to assist low pop defenders.  They were so loud that I didn’t search for trucks visually in aircraft. I just flew low, banked and listened. The the old truck sounds were louder than the aircraft engine that was supposed to be right in front of me.  If the sound is lower maybe you can get an FMS to town without having a defender standing in the exact spot you stop nearly every time. With the old sounds they may as well have just went all the way and put enemy trucks on the map.  Given the importance of trucks when the FMS was introduced this should have been in the patch immediately following. Better late than never. 

26 minutes ago, major0noob said:

but still loosing a lot of trucks/FMS before the CP's are captureable, and still rare to contest a town and have a viable FMS.

This sounds ... like a combined arms problem to me. How many trucks have tank support, ATG support etc?

If none, why no support? Numbers? Bush ninjas killing the ability for tanks to offer ZOC support? What are the factors?

1 person likes this