• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
gretnine

New truck audio

119 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Its almost as if the game does not take atmospherics or ground clutter

It doesn't.
Even if it did, only 1st person would be aware of it.

I also still think the audio extends too far.

Only so much we can do with what presently exists.
If unit is in your vizlist, and unit is doing something that would trigger a sound state, your client plays a sound.
If you attenuate too much, the thing is 5 feet away and you can not hear it.

The Morris, Betty and laffly sound too high of a pitch. 

Because they are generally moving too fast.
3rd person pitch changes based on speed the viewer believes the vehicle to be moving in relation to what the viewer is doing.
That wont be 100% right until hatch can audit them. (The speed)

There is a whine to them, well the actual video of the Opel with the covered bed sounded like them even if its muffled somewhat and the engine whine is not as audible, but even there the deep tones are not as pronounced either.

There is no whine to the engine, only the gear train.
Which you can't hear 800m away, and changes with every gear and load variation.
There are no gears in 3rd person, you do not know what gear a thing is in.
All the game has in 3rd person is
Is Engine ON
Yes = play sound, attenuate to perceived distance
Is unit moving
Yes = shift pitch/speed to perceived motion

And it has to suit all distances and environments.
And you get 1 sound, it has to work at every distance, and it has to work from 0mph to 100mph

The Opel does sound like a plane, like we have in the game.

What we have in game, 3rd person plane engine wise, is not terribly great in general.
Some are ok, some not so good, radials dont sound much like radials.

And the opel does not sound like any radial i've ever heard.

Opel in game

Something similar to an opel in real life

Radial Engine

Which kind of sounds like a big block chrysler, aside from the mixture problems

Or maybe a big turbo diesel?

Edited by Merlin51

Seems like a good sound effect here ....

Can't say I like the new Opel audio very much either ... sounds more like an electric lawn mower approaching than a truck. The effort to update the opel audio/truck sounds in general is appreciated, but I think the current opel audio has to be called a miss ....

2 people like this

16 hours ago, snappled said:

Seems like a good sound effect here ....

16 hours ago, snappled said:

Can't say I like the new Opel audio very much either ... sounds more like an electric lawn mower approaching than a truck. The effort to update the opel audio/truck sounds in general is appreciated, but I think the current opel audio has to be called a miss ....

Being funny are we?

Current In Game Opel as recorded IN game left channel
Your sound effect, last part where the in cab gear whine fades out (cause your not going to hear that across a field) in the right channel.

10 hours ago, major0noob said:

ok, so i got used to the new audio and i can still pinpoint a truck within 30m from 1200m

they could use more love

Cant stop you from cranking your volume up :( 
Turn it up loud enough you can hear infantry run at 600 meters.
But you'll be deaf the first thing that fires a gun or starts an engine

Anything much more besides a very small tweak would require new code for the audio engine.
And i'd have 6 pages of suggestions for it

I too have no problem discerning opel audio from 1+km and my headphones are not turned up too high..if anything the higher pitch has made it easier to locate them.

In town of course the audio drowns  out as it gets swamped by all the dead pz engine audio that stays around for minutes after the et has actually been killed.

But by all means "fix" the truck audio.

Edited by dropbear
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Cant stop you from cranking your volume up :( 
Turn it up loud enough you can hear infantry run at 600 meters.
But you'll be deaf the first thing that fires a gun or starts an engine

Anything much more besides a very small tweak would require new code for the audio engine.
And i'd have 6 pages of suggestions for it

this was with comfortable shooting volume (just cleared a CP) and panzers 150m away.

soo, normal volume. shooting at the EI after it set up didn't bother my hearing

they are key to the game, i'd say it's worth making them difficult to hear. this is just like the initial FMS release; the first week was good, then everyone got used to it.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:17 PM, HATCH said:

Interesting. From what I understand, those are the real deal rather than what Corn had managed to scrabble together 20 years ago...

As someone who drove war surplus beddies for 15 years I can tell you the audio was close to perfect before the change. I haven't been in game for the new audios so cannot comment on them but can assure you they were near identical audio in their previous state to the standard Bedford OY both when idling and moving

3 minutes ago, catfive said:

As someone who drove war surplus beddies for 15 years I can tell you the audio was close to perfect before the change. I haven't been in game for the new audios so cannot comment on them but can assure you they were near identical audio in their previous state to the standard Bedford OY both when idling and moving

Well get back in game, we miss you!

1 person likes this

On 12/28/2018 at 6:15 AM, Merlin51 said:
On 12/27/2018 at 1:34 PM, snappled said:

Being funny are we?

Was not trying to be funny. The Opel currently sounds EXACTLY like an electric lawnmower. That is a Miss.

You're side-by-side sound comparison made things clearer for me though. From outside the vehicle, transmission and exhaust audio are now totally gone .... it seems the only thing we hear now, is the engine.

Merlin pls don't take it personally..we applaud your efforts at trying to fix the issues of truck audio. 

In practice however I can still hear the incoming trucks at range..its just at a higher pitch which makes it EASIER to hear over general combat when you have good spatial separation with decent headphones.  Of couse if you use the "gaming" sets that over use bass it may be different.

2 hours ago, dropbear said:

Merlin pls don't take it personally..we applaud your efforts at trying to fix the issues of truck audio. 

In practice however I can still hear the incoming trucks at range..its just at a higher pitch which makes it EASIER to hear over general combat when you have good spatial separation with decent headphones.  Of couse if you use the "gaming" sets that over use bass it may be different.

rpms I can do something about, 3rd person has some er not quite accurate ideas on motion
which varies it seems depending on what networking is doing, which seems to result in one person hearing a truck rolling at 6800 rpms, another person is like huh?
All you get to go by there is perceived motion rather than what the driver is actually doing with his foot.

Distance wise, we reach a limit where rather than helping with range, we make it where you can not hear the truck 50 feet away.
With what is presently available to tweak I mean, code wise anything is possible, just a matter of time/resources.

The way 3rd person works currently is if a vehicle of any kind is in your viztable, and it has state engine on, your client plays it idling
and if your client sees it as being in motion, it runs the running engine loop through various states of speed.

What I would eventually like is the code to read some externally defined parameters that could be set in the vehicles data
that could do things like set max distance sound will play for certain aspects of the unit

9 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

we make it where you can not hear the truck 50 feet away.

i have absolutely no problem with this.

the trucks are very visible, defenders can see them if they bother to leave the town. hearing them from 1.2km is overkill

I love the new Opel sound. It's gives a very autentic feeling if you ask me. Thanks for the work and the explanations Merlin.

2 minutes ago, Sparre said:

I love the new Opel sound. It's gives a very autentic feeling if you ask me. Thanks for the work and the explanations Merlin.

I've definitely gotten used to it. An acquired taste.

Came back to check out the game, and I thought I heard a dewo landing next to me...it was an opel

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, major0noob said:

ok, so i got used to the new audio and i can still pinpoint a truck within 30m from 1200m

they could use more love

But on the training server the truck audios fade noticeably when just 80m away from the spawn point.

very strange

S! ian