• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
Mosizlak

Bofors gun shield.

47 posts in this topic

Anyone test this? 

It totally blocks your shots on low flying aircraft that come from right to left. 

Not remotely worth it when you can't engage low flying EA. 

2 people like this

Yea, i'd imagine it kind of does at low angle
40mm_bofors_02_of_90.jpg

At least it isnt this, dunno how you see on it except very vertical 
Bofors-40-L70.jpg

Already had to pass up shots on EA because I couldn't see them...

Either make the shield invisible for the gunner, or remove it. 

12 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Already had to pass up shots on EA because I couldn't see them...

Either make the shield invisible for the gunner, or remove it. 

Maybe give us a mixed bag of Bofors with and without shields, that way player could choose what he wants to play.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Maybe give us a mixed bag of Bofors with and without shields, that way player could choose what he wants to play.

That works as well. 

Just crazy that no one even thought of this before putting it in game.  

13 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

That works as well. 

Just crazy that no one even thought of this before putting it in game.  

I cant believe that they didn't "see" this when they tried it out for the first time.

2 people like this

This is the design, it's not a bug, with any piece of equipment there are pros and cons. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, raptor34 said:

You are missing out then. 

How? They screwed up my favorite unit. 

I'm not missing anything. 

1 person likes this

Any chance we could have both units in the list, split 50/50?

People who want gun shields can spawn them, people who don't can leave 'em home?

(individual loadouts would fix a lot of this stuff potentially, especially with aircraft)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Any chance we could have both units in the list, split 50/50?

People who want gun shields can spawn them, people who don't can leave 'em home?

(individual loadouts would fix a lot of this stuff potentially, especially with aircraft)

Ill bring it up to leadership.

1 person likes this

The shield actually did blow the view of the gunner in real life when it was aimed lower. Hopefully they can add both shield and none shield though. ! 

A little less drama and vitriol would be a good thing. Yes we can split the pool in lieu of loadouts. 

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Bmbm said:

A little less drama and vitriol would be a good thing. Yes we can split the pool in lieu of loadouts. 

See MO , one asks nicely and brings in an idea and we get a nice response. Not saying you being upset is wrong or one should not speak up . But I think asking if it could be split is prop the better route . And more constructive.

Edited by dre21
3 people like this

5 hours ago, dre21 said:

See MO , one asks nicely and brings in an idea and we get a nice response. Not saying you being upset is wrong or one should not speak up . But I think asking if it could be split is prop the better route . And more constructive.

Get more flies with honey.

Think of the time and effort @Bmbmhas done on this and when his work is finally added to live server, nothing but piss and vinegar in at least four different threads from the same person.

I think he has done a great job on several pieces of equipment and for him to sacrifice  his time and energy for nothing but the good of the game. Sometimes a simple thank you for your work helps.

Critism is fine, but how you present it makes a world of difference especially for the volunteer staff here.

BMBMs work is fine. The decision to not apply the same logic that peep sights enjoy is the problem. I doubt that is BMBM’s decision to make though.

IMO

1) get the stats and performance right along with the 3rd person look of the model

2) does the first person view function well within the limits the games technical limitations, or do we need to apply “peep sights” logic and adjust something to make it more usable?

How many 251 missions have been run in the history of this game? Seriously I’d like to know compared to opel how many, what’s the ratio? That thing used to do all the same stuff trucks did, and had a MG on it yet NOBODY uses/d it ... why? Answer that question and you’ll avoid these threads down the road.

2 minutes ago, madrebel said:

BMBMs work is fine. The decision to not apply the same logic that peep sights enjoy is the problem. I doubt that is BMBM’s decision to make though.

IMO

1) get the stats and performance right along with the 3rd person look of the model

2) does the first person view function well within the limits the games technical limitations, or do we need to apply “peep sights” logic and adjust something to make it more usable?

How many 251 missions have been run in the history of this game? Seriously I’d like to know compared to opel how many, what’s the ratio? That thing used to do all the same stuff trucks did, and had a MG on it yet NOBODY uses/d it ... why? Answer that question and you’ll avoid these threads down the road.

If I understand that right you want to be able to look through a solid object?

If that's the case that will open up a whole new can of worms. 

The most simplest solution is a split spawn pool.  50/50, shield/no shield.

It will apease both sides. You call for looking through solid objects that will pretty much kill all the blind spots that makes Tanking a challenge and you will kill the immersion part of it. I for one would not welcome such change. 

Each have their pro and con, shield offers protection but creates blind spots,  no shield open view but then one can't  complain that one gets killed from all directions.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, madrebel said:

It's slower is the reason i hear a lot when i ask how come not take the 251.
Slower and Noisier.
For Offensive FMS use and the like.
Everyone likes to go really fast and really silent.  Makes logical sense i guess, not realistic but a logical desire regardless.

On the other hand, for patrolling especially in large towns for recapping etc i do see them then get used a lot.
The gunner is hit or miss.
If you get lucky and see the target 1st and its in your firing arc, fine, but the gunner usually gets sniped from someplace.
Not a flaw of the model, just a fact of life in game.

I'll take the shielded model unless none are left.
I stink at AAA gunning, but the guns are also very useful for ground use, especially now with infantry dying to HE frags
And the shield helps when someone decides to return fire with LMG or Rifle fire

Edited by Merlin51

34 minutes ago, dre21 said:

If I understand that right you want to be able to look through a solid object?

Your conflating my lengthy technical explanation to a simple absurd point. Humans eyes see much better than a flat monitor will ever allow. IRL, head movement u/d/s/s, torso movement u/d/s/s, and the brains ability to ‘draw’ a less obstructed view by biasing the view from a single eye afford a MUCH clearer image than the game allows.

THIS IS WHY RIFLE PEEP SIGHTS ARE GIGANTIC. <—where is the can of worms from this?

What about this are you missing and i’ll Try to clarify further.

*edit* https://visionaryeyecare.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/eye-test-find-your-blind-spot-in-each-eye/

your brain, in real time, works around your blind spots ... now you know. The same slight of hand is at play when views are partially obstructed, your brain tries to give you a view that is most beneficial to you at all times. Same underlying principles are at play with stereoscopic 3D and why stereoscopic 3D gives many a head ache ... you’re literally making your brain work extra hard. Refresh rates also play into that, but essentially you’re working your brain harder and getting fatigued.

Edited by madrebel

All in all the shields are a plus but they do create unforeseen (lol) issues...

The simple and equitable solution is to offer both as a spawn option, "poof" problem solved..

You select what you need for the tactical situ at the moment..

Also a side benefit of more options in the spawn list, a win/win.......

Cheers Monty..

1 hour ago, madrebel said:

IMO

You can go to stats.wwiionline.com and look it up. It won't show missions but actually k/d  against each unit. It's a start

I was testing the bofors the other day and noticed the same thing. But was thinking only using single zoom (rather than complete zoom in) kind of removes most of the block?