Augetout

I think the PPOs are awesome---they need to last longer, imho

16 posts in this topic

I have been experimenting with building PPOs for defensive positions, and I think the possibilities are numerous, and positive.

I believe the first/best tweak to the PPO program, given that we just got a bunch of stuff added, is to make the PPOs last longer than they currently do.  It takes awhile to build stuff, and I've found (sometimes) that before I'm even done building, some of my stuff is starting to disappear.

In a perfect world we'd have 3 or 4 Engineers working together to knock a bunch of PPO stuff out, but the reality is that it is usually 1, sometimes 2 guys working on it.

S!

3 people like this

1 hour ago, delems said:

Thought PPOs lasted 3 to 6 hours?  (except foxhole - 30min)

Hmm, looks like I should consult a manual then, and figure out why the stuff I have been building disappears far sooner than 3 hours.  If the timer is 3-6 hours, then I would be happy.  

S!

Edited by augetout

4 hours ago, delems said:

Thought PPOs lasted 3 to 6 hours?  (except foxhole - 30min)

Each PPO can have a diff life span, have to ask @XOOM when he set up on the new PPOs

1 person likes this

I agree completely. I would push it to 6 hours for the larger ones. Foxholes I think are appropriate for 30 mins, maybe a hour tops.

That, and the distance between PPOs should be looked at, imho.  If I set up a barbed wire obstacle, enemy INF should not be able to simply walk around it.

I get that the barbed wire can be 'shot through', but obstacles should have 2 main benefits:

1.  Deny access to an area

2. Channel the enemy into an area where defenders are well prepared.

Currently, the PPOs cannot really accomplish either of these things,  INF should have to 'breach' obstacles, as opposed to just running right through the gaps.  This is the same with Channeling obstacles, either the enemy should comply with the intentions of the obstacles, or be forced to breach them.

The engineering aspect of the new PPO additions have a wealth of potential game-changing positives to offer, but only if we're allowed by the game to do so in a manor consistent with how they are/can be used in the real world.

S!

I thought the PPO timer started after the last touch.

I looked at some of the new PPO ingame and they look great. I cannot wait to see where they go.  My personal wish is that they can be used to construct larger constructions.. IE having corner pieces, high walls, low walls etc - mb even two tiered bunkers.  and be used to upgrade existing PPOs.. IE, PPO atg bunker stage one.. upgrade existing to be a tank reventment. Infantry fighting position to a mortar "pit". As they upgrade they become tougher to take out.  Sunday the Axis had set up a pretty nice defensive bunker system surrounding 2 FMS with sand bags, atg bunkers, fences etc. We where having a good fight there and a DB7 dropped a load on the complex tanking out most the PPOs. I can see the sand bag walls and some of the fencing going away but the ATG bunkers without a direct hit simply because of the effort taken and timers, IMHO only a direct hit should drop them.

I believe CRS, whether on purpose or just as a result of continued efforts to make the game better, have stumbled onto something that could go a long way towards making the game seem 'new', and changing gameplay for the better in a big way.

I'd also like to see a PPO for a firing point for tanks.  It shouldn't take too much work, given that it could basically be the atg firing point we already have, minus the overhead,, and with a wider front door, (thus allowing tanks to fit in).

S!

A tank one would be great. It could be a simple been so that you could be hull-down.

1 person likes this

I'd like to see mine craft in WWII online.  Make PPOs only allowed to be placed by the mission leader and then only allow engineers to construct them. 

Edited by budder8820

PPO's need more support. Combat engineer is an underrated role. 

More than 1 ppo per spawn, or make PPO an item that can be refilled by truck.

A tank PPO would be the gun pit with earth where the sand bags are in the front and no top, easy to do. (I would use Shrubs instead of the tank traps).

The barbed wire PPOs are not lasting at all, I was trying to set up a bunch of Barb wire around an FB I knew was going to be attacked and before I was 1/3rd done barbed wire emplacements I had set up had disappeared :(.

Also the idea that one bomb in an AB kills all the PPO is ludicrous, you spend a significant amount of time trying to set up defenses only to have them all instantly vaporized by 1 BOMB, some of them no even close!

I would also like the engineers to interlock the sandbags. 

As far as the ability of enemy infantry to just run around the PPOs, I have a pretty good system of building them -X-X-X-X-X- <----Long Barbed Wire with a XXXX <---Barbed wire box in the gap and a ^ horseshoe sandbag on the inside, then another long barbed wire. something like this.

XXXX              XXXXX

-X-X-X-X-X-X-      -X-X-X-X-X-         -X-X-X-X-X-X-

^^^^^              ^^^^^

I build everything as close together as I can put it.  I line the posts from one long barbed wire emplacement up on the previous then side step until it turns green to build it.

The enemy still has to run through that and if someone is manning the sand bags the enemy is delayed by having to move through the box/barbed wire and will be under fire.

It's aggravating to see you work disappear before your done.

Edited by downtown

@XOOM (sorry if you're not the right person to ask)

Obviously one reason there has to be a timeout on PPOs is because too much object density in a given location will excessively slow down graphics loading for fast-arriving units that have to load that location.

Is the currently short timeout for some types of PPO because of this concern?

If so, presumably the density limit could be approximately identified in terms of numbers of PPO in a given locale. If that number could be communicated to players that enjoy being complex-defense builders, that player type could plan their work within that limit so that it could last long enough to be part of gameplay.

Edited by jwilly

6 hours ago, downtown said:

A tank PPO would be the gun pit with earth where the sand bags are in the front and no top, easy to do. (I would use Shrubs instead of the tank traps).

The barbed wire PPOs are not lasting at all, I was trying to set up a bunch of Barb wire around an FB I knew was going to be attacked and before I was 1/3rd done barbed wire emplacements I had set up had disappeared :(.

Also the idea that one bomb in an AB kills all the PPO is ludicrous, you spend a significant amount of time trying to set up defenses only to have them all instantly vaporized by 1 BOMB, some of them no even close!

I would also like the engineers to interlock the sandbags. 

As far as the ability of enemy infantry to just run around the PPOs, I have a pretty good system of building them -X-X-X-X-X- <----Long Barbed Wire with a XXXX <---Barbed wire box in the gap and a ^ horseshoe sandbag on the inside, then another long barbed wire. something like this.

XXXX              XXXXX

-X-X-X-X-X-X-      -X-X-X-X-X-         -X-X-X-X-X-X-

^^^^^              ^^^^^

I build everything as close together as I can put it.  I line the posts from one long barbed wire emplacement up on the previous then side step until it turns green to build it.

The enemy still has to run through that and if someone is manning the sand bags the enemy is delayed by having to move through the box/barbed wire and will be under fire.

It's aggravating to see you work disappear before your done.

Woe be unto those who come to an area where DT, (or one of his students of which I am a proud member), has been building!

S!

26 minutes ago, jwilly said:

@XOOM (sorry if you're not the right person to ask)

Obviously one reason there has to be a timeout on PPOs is because too much object density in a given location will excessively slow down graphics loading for fast-arriving units that have to load that location.

Is the currently short timeout for some types of PPO because of this concern?

If so, presumably the density limit could be approximately identified in terms of numbers of PPO in a given locale. If that number could be communicated to players that enjoy being complex-defense builders, that player type could plan their work within that limit so that it could last long enough to be part of gameplay.

Coming up in this next release, I've nearly doubled all PPO lifetimes. This should solve the issues quite a bit.

3 people like this