knucks

One small change I'd like to see for WWII online

17 posts in this topic

A very small change is all I ask as a newb, and that's for stamina to regen while walking. I do not like having to stop to rest every 200 feet I'd like to be able to keep moving, and if realism is the standard, the worse thing you can do after running a distance is laying down, you should be standing until your heartbeat is at rest rate. So I think stamina should regenerate when you walk,.

Agreed..a simple fix. As a ex rugby league player and father of two more..the worst possible thing you can do when exhausted is to lie down - you gotta open those lungs ;)

Of course, if i am being shot at I may not be standing ....

Edited by dropbear
Auto txt correction is EVIL

12 hours ago, knucks said:

A very small change is all I ask as a newb, and that's for stamina to regen while walking. I do not like having to stop to rest every 200 feet I'd like to be able to keep moving, and if realism is the standard, the worse thing you can do after running a distance is laying down, you should be standing until your heartbeat is at rest rate. So I think stamina should regenerate when you walk,.

Actually most military doctrine is 3-5 second rushes (sprint), then dropping down prone so as not to expose yourself as a target.

27 minutes ago, B2K said:

Actually most military doctrine is 3-5 second rushes (sprint), then dropping down prone so as not to expose yourself as a target.

Sure, however that does not preclude gaining stamina in a standing position.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:56 PM, dropbear said:

Of course, if i am being shot at I may not be standing ....

No, becoming one with mother earth is the usual thing
And cursing the annoying alice pack hopping around on your shoulders

Kidding aside, the normal deal is like B2K said, sprint like hell, then become a non target.
And you normally dont sprint unless you have need to so you got the juice in reserve for when you really need to.

I know we do it in game to hurry our selves along, but we really wouldn't in a real situation
Dog trotting, or what ever else one might call it, would kind of be the normal mode of moving fast for long time periods.

19 hours ago, goreblimey said:

You do, it just takes longer to come out of ATP deficiency, but if you stop standing, you will still recover

And if you are walking, you still do recover, but it takes longer still
Spawn at the offline training grounds, sprint out until your ATP drops then hit auto walk, and keep walking
Watch your ATP level, it will come back, while walking.

In real life, if you and i were at the motor pool and decided to sprint race to the motor pool gates, we could walk on the rest of the way to the PX
and maybe run a few more sprints along the way, though they'd probably get a little shorter each time, remember we train to move for miles and miles with out stopping rather than high speed.

On the other hand, if you and i were in a trench, and 105's started landing in to shredding everyone around us
God willing the shrapnel missed us, we might sprint 700m, with everything we have on and everything we forgot to drop, to reach the shell bunker.
At which point, we'd probably both collapse, and might even find that we've wet outselfs in the process.
Fueled by fear driven adrenaline overdose, but that normally comes at a hefty price.

Those are two widely separated extremes, and the game does not know what one of those we are in, it was not modeled to make a distinction
To the game, we are always in an average combat environment state.
Not playing cards over c rats, and not soaking our pants while trying to make inhuman runs to get out of airborn hell, some place in the middle.

We always have our weapon in our hands, we always have our grenades, our ammo mags or clips or belts, our pak with entrenching tool, etc depending on what class we are.
We are always in a hostile environment, no matter where we are standing or how far away the enemy really is, and always under an average combat stress and physical load.
Just kind of an average situation, the rest is left up to whats going on in the game.

Mechanically it plays out as very simplified.
How far can i run fast
How fast can i recover
How steady can i hold a rifle and for how long

On 12/29/2018 at 0:35 PM, knucks said:

A very small change is all I ask as a newb, and that's for stamina to regen while walking.

You already can @knucks

If you want to regain ATP while jogging though, it will take you this long .
Jog started in heartbeat mode after sprint stopped. i sprinted against the depot wall
d8Gu4OB.png

Heartbeat stops (jogging speed)
ne1G5mj.png

Still jogging, gaining back, but we'd be dead by now probably
RhBIGJl.png

Almost there, kind of
GXg70Mv.png

Just a little farther
fhbGJzU.png

And we done lol, and then we get sniped
APlsDbk.png

If you had walked, you'd only need to go this far
NjNeEZO.png

Edited by Merlin51

1 hour ago, goreblimey said:

you can gain stamina while standing - just not a lot of it very fast.

Question is why are we constantly jogging that fast ingame? Because we don’t want that it takes too long to reach our target?

If we reduced jogging speed there would be less rendering issues and it would be easier to use the rifle. Stamina could then regen faster for sprinting.

sprinting could indeed be limited to 5 seconds but stamina would regen faster in counterpart 

You just need to let stamina very slowly while jogging and pretty fast while walking. The drop shot meta is annoying, too much like the CoD 4 days of people growing prove and popping you once.

Also humans have the most endurance of any mammal in the world. We can jog for hours straight, rest for a few minutes and jog some more. Please reflect that in game. Infantry play is already tiresome enough that I have to go prone every 40 seconds just to regen stamina.

Edited by knucks

13 minutes ago, ZEBBEEE said:

Question is why are we constantly jogging that fast ingame? Because we don’t want that it takes too long to reach our target?

If we reduced jogging speed there would be less rendering issues and it would be easier to use the rifle. Stamina could then regen faster for sprinting.

sprinting could indeed be limited to 5 seconds but stamina would regen faster in counterpart 

actually, not a bad idea. But if you make the prone ADS into standard ADS you'll see people can shoot much easier with a high fov then the super zoomed in FOV, even at medium range.

2 hours ago, knucks said:

You just need to let stamina very slowly while jogging and pretty fast while walking.

did I not just post, with pics, that you can already do this now?

2 hours ago, knucks said:

Infantry play is already tiresome enough that I have to go prone every 40 seconds just to regen stamina.

why are you sprinting every 40 seconds?
Humans may dog trot for miles, but they don't continually sprint for very long

Having spent time in the Infantry, I can assure readers that I did not regain energy while jogging with a full load. ;)

Sprints of 3-5 seconds... "I'm up, they see me, I'm down"  should be the norm.  I'm not sure how the game/coding could account for it, but continuing a spring beyond the normal 3-5 seconds should most likely result in running out of gas, i.e. slowing down.

Lessening the amount of time allowed for sprint-lengths would improve Infantry play imho, despite it causing us to get to our objective(s) slower.  Hitting a veteran player who is sprinting and ducking back and forth like he is Barry Sanders is ridiculously difficult.  In fact, the reaction of someone who gets shot at SHOULD be to immediately get down and attempt to face the direction of fire, in order to effectively return fire.  Instead, I see that most folks react to being shot at, (EVEN IF IN THE PRONE), by sprinting around Barry Sanders' style.  

3 people like this

11 hours ago, augetout said:

Having spent time in the Infantry, I can assure readers that I did not regain energy while jogging with a full load. ;)

Sprints of 3-5 seconds... "I'm up, they see me, I'm down"  should be the norm.  I'm not sure how the game/coding could account for it, but continuing a spring beyond the normal 3-5 seconds should most likely result in running out of gas, i.e. slowing down.

Lessening the amount of time allowed for sprint-lengths would improve Infantry play imho, despite it causing us to get to our objective(s) slower.  Hitting a veteran player who is sprinting and ducking back and forth like he is Barry Sanders is ridiculously difficult.  In fact, the reaction of someone who gets shot at SHOULD be to immediately get down and attempt to face the direction of fire, in order to effectively return fire.  Instead, I see that most folks react to being shot at, (EVEN IF IN THE PRONE), by sprinting around Barry Sanders' style.  

Agree.

That is also the reason why stamina regains quicker if you stop and rest before fully using your stamina. If you do the short sprints you regain faster. If you use it all up it takes time to start to regain, as your heart rate is not settled 

2 hours ago, BLKHWK8 said:

That is also the reason why stamina regains quicker if you stop and rest before fully using your stamina. If you do the short sprints you regain faster. If you use it all up it takes time to start to regain, as your heart rate is not settled 

Why is the stamina bar only half used? I can never use my full stamina, I'm forced to stop at the halfway mark. Can I make a guess?
Is it because HE damage uses stamina an a 2nd health bar?
If so you should give stamina it's own bar

As a real world (more relatable) example, if anyone plays hockey you know it's an anaerobic sport, similar to sprinting.  I haven't played anything else that's similar in that regard.  Of 2m on ice, you probably are full-out about  <  40s and that's not with heavy gear, but the ATP build-up is fast, which is why teams cycle short-shifts -- even standing still is hard once it kicks in, which is why you see a lot of players bend-over when they're gassed (runners as well).  You need up to 2m of bench time to rest, or slow-walk.

If I was going to change regen it would be to implement a staged model, a stage that gives like 2-3s of sprint that recharges quickly after lying down, and a secondary stage that regens at a slowed pace over a longer set of time.   Right now, it's linear, which feels unrealistic.   You can sprint again after a few seconds of catching your breath,  just for a very short distance.  The way it is now you have to wait before regen even starts, it's like regen feels inverse to reality. slow- > quick vs. quick -> slow

P-

32 minutes ago, knucks said:

Why is the stamina bar only half used? I can never use my full stamina, I'm forced to stop at the halfway mark. Can I make a guess?
Is it because HE damage uses stamina an a 2nd health bar?
If so you should give stamina it's own bar

Not quite, think of it this way. Your stamina is your consciousness, if you get hit with a bullet or fragment you lose part of that and in some cases begin to bleed out. You will notice as you go below that half point you begin to black out and eventually die. It is the same in aircraft and a tank.  

1 person likes this