• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
raven4

Rifle Account

40 posts in this topic

Did a forum search, couldn't find an answer, and others in my squad don't know either. This free rifles old accounts get how do you log into it? I've tried to log in through playgate and it says account not active. Do you have to go through steam or is there a trick? Could easily turn back into a sub, but I wanna see some of the new updates have improved the quality in the past few months I and a few others have hoped for.

It should let you in, if it does not use the support webpage, and start a ticket and @Pittpete will find out whats wrong with it and get you fixed up

Just a question. Why not basic equipment for rifleman account? New guys are getting strafed constantly and no one can pull AA, same with armor, once armor comes we're all sitting ducks it's almost impossible to enjoy yourself  if you can't even leave a spawn you just get mowed down and farmed. There's not enough battles to choose from to escape this, I was going to buy light AA dlc because of this but after thinking about a few minutes after this frustrating experience, I did not find the reasons for me wanting the dlc  to justify the purchase. I'm not paying DLC to a game just so I can play without getting farmed. Money is not the remedy and I'm not going to support the game until I feel I'm getting some support for having to fight people with snipers, MG's, planes and tanks that I would still be a sitting duck with tier 0 equipment, but at the least I wouldn't feel so damn useless not being able to do anything.

Edited by knucks

1 hour ago, knucks said:

Just a question. Why not basic equipment for rifleman account? New guys are getting strafed constantly and no one can pull AA, same with armor, once armor comes we're all sitting ducks it's almost impossible to enjoy yourself  if you can't even leave a spawn you just get mowed down and farmed. There's not enough battles to choose from to escape this, I was going to buy light AA dlc because of this but after thinking about a few minutes after this frustrating experience, I did not find the reasons for me wanting the dlc  to justify the purchase. I'm not paying DLC to a game just so I can play without getting farmed. Money is not the remedy and I'm not going to support the game until I feel I'm getting some support for having to fight people with snipers, MG's, planes and tanks that I would still be a sitting duck with tier 0 equipment, but at the least I wouldn't feel so damn useless not being able to do anything.

Duck!

Or support the game.

You support the game, it supports you. Statistics showed that when we gave free players basic everything, the majority chose to remain free players, not supporting the game with even a starter sub. Like the cost of a friggin burger combo or a cup of starbucks...

It's like opening up a sandwich shop and offering the basic sub sandwich for free... If most just take advantage of the free sub, yeah, the place might be hopping, look and be popular with all the patronage, but with no revenue because of too many taking advantage of the free stuff and not enough supporting the business by purchasing from the main menu, there simply is no way to pay the bills and keep the place running.

That's normal player composition. Most WILL stay f2p, but they'll be in game which is where you want them, right? It's not all money. This game needs a good steady pop or you're playing almost a different game when it's only 50 or so people in a town running around trying to find each other. See I'm not one of the ones who would stay F2P, I'd definitely buy all the DLC's this game puts out even already having a sub just cause, but on principle I won't because you aren't supporting the growth of the game and me simply giving you money isn't going to put more people in the server who want to be there. I'm sure there are at least a hundred people in the world right now who would log in to play if they only had some kind of other role they could do, as rifleman you're infantry only which is sometimes not even 1/3rd of what you'll be facing in any given battle. To be nothing but cannon fodder for 2/3rd of the game, sorry, even though I enjoy the game and have subscribed before for many months and would do so again to play fully, it's not enough because I'll have only other subscribers to play against which in most f2p games would make up maybe half of the total playerbase on a good day.

Logging in again today all I saw was a bunch of reserve rifleman spawn in to get, quite literally farmed by veteran players, and no one was there to sit back and cover the FB/FMS with even light AA (I don't think anybody with a sub plays light AA or AT unless its tier 1 or something) so it goes mostly unused especially later tiers. You could definitely give reserve accounts basic tank and air killing capabilities by giving them the lightest AA/AT gun available, maybe even a light tank (there's like 30 tanks in the game I think the sub will be fine.) and you'd have the start of a solid F2P scheme that anybody who appreciates the game can enjoy.

You're not lazy greedy [censored] like people in the reviews say, but you aren't doing yourself any favors out here either. You've got content on the shelves, but none of is to draw in new players. This is what I predict will happen, you'll keep adding new units, AA with gun shields, mobile AA, fancy new ground attack aircraft bombers and specialized vehicles and equipment, then in a year you'll have all these new toys that everyone loves and you'll look at the old non shielded AA guns, non mobile AA and the super basic AT guns and say to yourself hey, we have 100 unique units here, maybe if we take this old equipment that no ones uses anymore and divy it up to free accounts and we'll attract more players

And instead of calling it the reserve rifleman, you'll be then calling it the reserve account, free accounts with all the old outdated units from years back and your subs won't mind because no one was using the unshielded bofors over the shielded bofors anyway, and the new players will be happy because they'll have about 3 months worth of content to unlock and play with which by then they're either hooked and buying more, or they're hooked and playing for free wishing they could have more, BUT they'll be fighting alongside the subs, not nearly as kited out but certainly a match and certainly useful to have around for battles.

Really how you should be doing it, for ever 5 new units you add to the game, free up 1 for reserve accounts in the same tree. That's +4 value to the sub and +1 value to F2P which is a grand total of +5 to the game. Everyone's happier that way and you'll build up the F2P model that everyone has asked for. If you start making amends with the steam players now you'll have enough of them in your game, on your side to drown out all the [censored] and [censored] from people who constantly flood your store page discussions and reviews with bad press which driving away potential buyers.

Edited by knucks

Already tried what you suggest
Did not help, free players used to get all kinds of stuff, and then they just wanted more stuff.
There was no happiness from them, they just called it pay to win cause you don't get the tiger, or spitfire or what ever free.

As for what you can do as a free player, go check my stats for this evening.
I used nothing but what is available free.
A rifleman, a truck and a couple times an SMG, nothing else.

I wiped out several enemy FB's with @bludngut Placed needed FMS for attacks. (I only slightly damaged blud, he is fragile)
Used the truck to hotdrop troops in one attack, we won the town.
Used the truck a lot working with @sw1in AHC, i transported some guns
Used the rifleman to attack enemy depots, yes i died a bunch, to other rifles mostly, i also captured stuff.
Used the SMG to help clear the bunker path at the Schilde attack, i eventually died.
I even charged the bunker with a rifle, and blasted a hole in some guy who thought he was going to make it up the stairs.
He had 8 friends, so yea i died again but we still won.

If you want more stuff, there is the DLC, you pay once and done.
I probably spend more at mcdonalds buying lunch once.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

As I said before, we already did that. While it may have increased pop by a little, everything else was the same. Reviews saying nothing they had was good enough, anything worth having locked behind pay wall, yada, yada, yada... We wouldn't have made the f2p changes if the numbers would have shown they were more beneficial the way they were.

As it is now, you get the same rifleman everyone else gets and have the ability to kill everything in the game a rifle or a satchel can kill, change the map by capturing facilities, give rides/tows/plant MS, etc. So you can definitely participate on an equal level and see what it's all about. There are special promotions all the time that allow more equipment to experience, not to mention every intermission...

Everything you mention can be had indefinitely in a DLC pack for less than a decent meal...

4 hours ago, knucks said:

If you are going to play as a rifleman, you will need to adjust what you do and where you go, is all.  You won't be clearing any guarded depots with a bolt action rifle, right?  But you can be very successful doing other things, like;

1.  EMFS hunting/Opel hunting.  the Rifle is the preferred weapon to killl Opels, and if you set up right on an EMFS, you can interdict their supply line of troops pretty successfully.

2.  FB busts   rifles have 1 satchel charge, but usually there's a truck there to resupplyl anyway, and whoever controls the FBs, controls the map.

3.  Taking flags-----One has to be careful, and pick which depot to attempt to cap with care, as rifles won't outgun smg/lmg guards, but I have capped a lot of flags as a rifleman and/or engineer, and so can you.

4.  Supporting tanks and/or ATG/AAA guns.  Sappers are everywhere it seems, and you can help keep our tanks 'clean', from standoff ranges.

Anyway, there's a ton of stuff to do as a rifleman, and most of it does not entail being strafed mercilessly in an AB area.

S!

Not doubting, I love this game. Just saying if:

1. you updated player movement, remove the sliding you do when you run and the drag on your mouse, a game should look 21 years old it shouldn't feel 21 years old too. Missions into squads, 8 men and 3 technicals per squad with more emphasis on teamwork. I mean mobile spawn laid by SL infantry and not a big [censored] truck and the squad moves together always.

2. Gave f2p more option because not everyone thinks in terms of money budget when it comes to video games they think which game is most worth my time and investment and WWIIO with 200 or so recurring players just isn't looking too promising. Begin working your relationship with the steam review page and discussion board which hates you severely. And it's not good hate you can brush off either it's pretty passionate hate that's really damaging to a game's playerbase

3. Focus on more crafty units. There's so much untapped market for a flight/tank sim combined arms, even better it's a WW2 sim because there's only one in existence and it's here. Nothing else can even come close to comparing not even Arma with it's large map and graphics. You've got the WW2 brand like the World at War documentary from the 70's has brand on Call of Duty 5 being also called World at War. It's a nice homage to the past.

The world record tag is nice too, I never played planetside 1 which is the 2nd mmofps in existence and it was very good, maybe even better than ww2ol at it's prime (it was a bit newer, better controls slightly better graphics if you were into the space theme) But I have played Planetside 2 which is still going strong with it's free to play model, maybe struggling some but there struggle is one of a big developer studio but it's still scratches that large battle itch we all have. Not saying you have to be like Planetside 2 because planetside 2 has issues of it's own. What I am saying is....utilize the market that previous games have laid the grounds for. People want it, and there's a lot of those people if you give them enough time will warm up and giggity stick around rO

Edited by knucks

They do make DLC packages currently sold thru Steam between $7.99 and $17.99 that are one time purchases. I got all but the para package. The paras just aren't used enough to purchase it at this point. 

The AA DLC is $9.99 Light AA Gun Pack that gets you the 20/25mm AA guns. 

I too feel the f2p crowd should have the bare minimum kit that can provide a way to defend or attack objectives.

Whether its a light atg, light AA, atr, etc.

The dlcs could just move up to the next rank. Remember, smgs and trucks are just for this campaign...normally its rifles only.

Of course the subscribers would need better guns from fms, such as 6lbr,pak38 etc.

How often do we see hundreds of new faces early in campaigns with very little staying later to be as knucks has said "fodder". Over and over we ask for more players but over and over we drive them away.

Edited by dropbear
Spelling
1 person likes this

Attacking CPs in the later tiers as a rifleman isn't really that fun of an experience but giving f2p tier0 equipment is HATCH said giving away the sandwich for free. I think f2p could benefit from the resSMG for CP assaults *BUT* in return they ought to be limited to "reserve RIFLEs" 5 rounds with 5 reloads, 1 or 2 grenades, 1 smoke (maybe), 1HE and 1 Resupply (or no HE and 2 Resupply). I don't think it would affect new players having a more limited supply of ammo because they usually don't live long enough to use 30 bullets. Giving the basic, grenades, HE and Resupply would allow them to experience those game functions as well. They should be limited to only building foxholes and sandbags, again to be able to experience the game functions. When they see others building some of the new PPOs maybe they want a piece of that action and purchase a DLC or even subscribe. 

I'm not sure I would be thrilled about giving free AA/AT guns for new players to spawn in from a freshly laid FMS and to blazing away and giving away its position.  Lord knows stealth is a greater protector of FMS than those light AA guns are going to offer against bombers. I think anyone that has taken the time and effort to setup a FMS would agree. 

You aren't getting it. F2p is something to be utilized not avoided. If it wasn't for the f2p option you game would have no new players period. You guys keep thinking that your game is soo good that it's above a generous  f2p model, negative reviews will continue to bury this game under so much [censored] no one will be wanting to sift through it to play this old game that refuses to adapt. 

As a person who stays very active on forums of games I enjoy  that I think are the most unique and have most potential, it's always communities who don't listen who ultimately aren't succeeding. If you think your game is so great why isn't there more than 500 active players? Numbers don't lie. Steam reviews don't lie, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think subscription is the way. Have you not figured it out?

Stop pushing away customers you big dumb idiots. there's like a thousand people out there who would play your game in a month if you split f2p and sub down the middle like a normal developer, and you'd get the same distribution of whales and supports as you always have. You really think anyone who still plays this game, subscribed for years will all of a sudden stop subscribing because you started letting more people play?

Absolute foolishness. End the cool kids club crap, your game needs a revival or it will forever be trash. Seriously, grow up.

Edited by knucks

34 minutes ago, knucks said:

You aren't getting it. F2p is something to be utilized not avoided. If it wasn't for the f2p option you game would have no new players period. You guys keep thinking that your game is soo good that it's above a generous  f2p model, negative reviews will continue to bury this game under so much [censored] no one will be wanting to sift through it to play this old game that refuses to adapt. 

As a person who stays very active on forums of games I enjoy  that I think are the most unique and have most potential, it's always communities who don't listen who ultimately aren't succeeding. If you think your game is so great why isn't there more than 500 active players? Numbers don't lie. Steam reviews don't lie, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think subscription is the way. Have you not figured it out?

Stop pushing away customers you big dumb idiots. there's like a thousand people out there who would play your game in a month if you split f2p and sub down the middle like a normal developer, and you'd get the same distribution of whales and supports as you always have. You really think anyone who still plays this game, subscribed for years will all of a sudden stop subscribing because you started letting more people play?

Absolute foolishness. End the cool kids club crap, your game needs a revival or it will forever be trash. Seriously, grow up.

As @HATCHand @XOOM have stated in the past, the f2p model has been looked at and is continued to be looked at, however under your criteria how do you propose keeping the servers up and paying the overhead to run the actual game? The licensing of the software we utilize to create new content? Since the very game mechanics that make us unique in the market (not a COD type FPS but a MMOFPS) we can not offer the Pay to Win scenarios that so many Free to Play games offer. We tried the F2P option with reserve equipment and the response we got was two fold as the F2P players wanted more for nothing and the Subscribers (who pay to keep us up and running) so less value for their support. Those other F2P games launch new titles every year in which you do pay for in a "one-time" payment for the title, usually 69.99 or more.  The F2P option is there to wet the peak so to speak, as there are affordable options to open up more equipment. The DLCs are a one time fee for the lifetime access to those equipment sets, while still offering a premium to our subscribers. 99% of our team at CRS are players, subscribers and VOLUNTEERS. The money goes back into this game to cover the overhead to run it.

With the above being said, @dropbear we stated that the F2P truck and reserved SMG is a trial run, we are monitoring the activity of those units. We listened to the feedback of our community on having F2P be able to have a truck to set FMSs, and I agree that as the tiers roll on, it becomes harder for a F2P player to survive, however they can adapt and function in different roles as well. I have utilized the rifle more than any other unit in game (Im not a fan of the smgs as I like the accuracy and distance of the rifle), you can capture a CP with them, its hard but you can group up in a CP and help decrease the timer and hold the CP offering communication of the enemy by marking and speaking on discord. This is not to say we wont look at options in the future of F2p access as the tiers move on to better equipment.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BLKHWK8 said:

As @HATCHand @XOOM have stated in the past, the f2p model has been looked at and is continued to be looked at, however under your criteria how do you propose keeping the servers up and paying the overhead to run the actual game? The licensing of the software we utilize to create new content? Since the very game mechanics that make us unique in the market (not a COD type FPS but a MMOFPS) we can not offer the Pay to Win scenarios that so many Free to Play games offer.

Bro you're so out of touch with the F2P market  you don't realize that this game is top 10 pay to win games on steam right now and the reviews show that. Having a subscription doesn't exempt you from Pay2Win. Newsflash, all F2P games have a subscription/premium account. Almost every MMO nowadays has a f2p option which is often more than 40% of unlockable content that attracts loads of players. Entire studios  still make enough profit to continue development for f2p games. You don't believe it can be done but it's been the norm for a few years now. Seriously go do some case study right now on the F2P store and see how many games have succeeded off of it. Do I even need to mention fortnite? Come on don't tell the players on steam it can't be done. We've seen it done many times over.

Edited by knucks

27 minutes ago, knucks said:

Come on don't tell the players on steam it can't be done. We've seen it done many times over.

It sounds like it's a great opportunity for you to go out and show them how it's done then. Go get'em tiger!

why don't you guys rename F2P to a demo account?

i mean, that's what it is and what it was meant to be.

F2P is a different genre. what's offered in WWII:OL is not F2P gameplay

54 minutes ago, knucks said:

Bro you're so out of touch with the F2P market  you don't realize that this game is top 10 pay to win games on steam right now and the reviews show that. Having a subscription doesn't exempt you from Pay2Win. Newsflash, all F2P games have a subscription/premium account. Almost every MMO nowadays has a f2p option which is often more than 40% of unlockable content that attracts loads of players. Entire studios  still make enough profit to continue development for f2p games. You don't believe it can be done but it's been the norm for a few years now. Seriously go do some case study right now on the F2P store and see how many games have succeeded off of it. Do I even need to mention fortnite? Come on don't tell the players on steam it can't be done. We've seen it done many times over.

So how would you go about making money in this game with the F2P business model @knucks? And if you say cosmetics in a store like camouflage or weapon sights in a World War 2 simulator that is even more pay to win in my opinion especially in a game where concealment gives you the advantage. The DLC on the steam client is the best you can do for a Cash shop.    

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

why don't you guys rename F2P to a demo account?

i mean, that's what it is and what it was meant to be.

F2P is a different genre. what's offered in WWII:OL is not F2P gameplay

That is not entirely accurate since there is no cap on how long you can "demo" the account. I will discuss with leadership though.

27 minutes ago, BLKHWK8 said:

That is not entirely accurate since there is no cap on how long you can "demo" the account. I will discuss with leadership though.

these guys have a point when they say your out of touch with what F2P is (or has become)

a lot of flak could be avoided by removing the F2P branding, everyone knows the game is "free to try" and the game is based on a premium subscription

IMO, F2P games have developed a toxic reputation, i avoid them like the plague. the genre is more of a skid mark than a genre in the gaming world

3 hours ago, knucks said:

There are a few issues here that you are overlooking.

1) F2P has always been P2W in many modern titles, the idea is to get players in for no cost and then charge them incremental bonuses that add up to more than the upfront cost. Some games are more brazen where you straight up get characters with more hit ponies/stamina/etc. while others are more subtle. Since WWIIOL is a simulation there is no way to micro-transact experience buffs. It all comes down to player skill.

2) Many F2P games rely on micro transactions to make up the difference. WWIIOL currently does not have the ability to make custom skins (only decals, of which you can only have one). So costs need to rely more on subscriptions. But I agree other revenue streams that are cosmetic in nature (period-accurate skins, airframe camo patterns, custom decals and unit insignia would be a very nice touch.

3) Many F2P games do not have large overhead server costs. All multiplayer games such as Post Scriptum,Battlefield, etc. do not need to run their own game servers and shift that cost o to their players. They run hosting/matchmaking servers but that's pretty much it so they keep their costs down since they do not have to pay for bandwidth or upgrade server hardware.

So while I agree that some F2P is an important option, it is not the sole answer without a lot of the other important stuff to help make up the revenue shortfall. The classic example if this is Eve Online which has a robust F2P option but you still can't access even lower tier weapons, and to get the XP you have to shell out extra cash to buy up experience points.

There is no free lunch. But yes, CRS should  still keep the premium subscription, offer F2P like they do now, and load the boat with microtransactions since for whatever reason players in 2019 rather pay $80 in $5 increments than $60 upfront :/ 

Edited by aismov
4 people like this