• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
raven4

Rifle Account

40 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, major0noob said:

these guys have a point when they say your out of touch with what F2P is (or has become)

a lot of flak could be avoided by removing the F2P branding, everyone knows the game is "free to try" and the game is based on a premium subscription

IMO, F2P games have developed a toxic reputation, i avoid them like the plague. the genre is more of a skid mark than a genre in the gaming world

I have to agree. I think a demo account or a limited account better communicates what this is. Also agree that F2P overall has a bad reputation, but in the flip side, it is true that many players freak out at the thought of a subscription (for whatever reason).

One option would've to charge something less than a AAA title upfront (say 49.99) and say you have 1 year of premium play included. Then after the year is up you have to pay for the subscription service (or be more limited via the DLC route).

It's fine how it is imo.

DLC solves 90% of the 'get some more gear' instead of just rifle. (though not for organic accounts far as I know)

Rifle and truck (MS) are literally the two best weapons in game, can do nearly everything.  Yes, if you do nothing but battle in CPs, rifle is harder. But it costs zero.

Maybe don't say we have a FPA type,  we just have a rifle account, starter account and premium.

Just so happens the rifle account costs zero.

And then we have DLC to give some extra gear to the basic rifle account.

1 person likes this

Yeah Starter Account or Rifle Account doesn't seem too bad of a name.

I think that a certain type/age of player (the one apt to whine/flame on Steam boards) for some reason expects or seems entitled to have everything for nothing if it is called "free to play" and then cry that it is really "pay to win" without thinking who pays the server bill.

But that said we can't ignore the kiddies and pretend they aren't their because they still post and give reviews. I'll be honest, if I myself saw free to play I would sorta expect to have access to anything. 

EDIT: That said, I also think that a lot of these things cone in cycles. The current F2P craze is very reminiscent to me of the Freeware craze of the mid-1990s where every AAA title had a crappy cut down $10 version of the game until everyone realized it was a stupid model. Watching channels like Angry Joe and others, and like majorn00b said F2P/loot boxes/P2W all have a terrible name. I think DLC/season passes/microtransactions are here to stay (and should be looked into by CRS), but think F2P will be going away as a thing.

Edited by aismov
2 people like this

40 minutes ago, delems said:

(though not for organic accounts far as I know)

We getting it, but i think it entails a major billing system rewrite for it to work
i know a lot of people would like it

Question... Haven't played much in a good while, I have an account that is max rank but due to unsubbing and not playing for a good while I wound up with a free rifle account which I have been playing from time to time. If I up to the starter account ($7.99) with this account will it bump me down in rank or will it leave that as it is while the tools will be limited to starter level? 

34 minutes ago, jw said:

Question... Haven't played much in a good while, I have an account that is max rank but due to unsubbing and not playing for a good while I wound up with a free rifle account which I have been playing from time to time. If I up to the starter account ($7.99) with this account will it bump me down in rank or will it leave that as it is while the tools will be limited to starter level? 

Oh no, you keep your rank no matter what, always.
Just that the tools would be limited to the DLC or Subscription type

16 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Oh no, you keep your rank no matter what, always.
Just that the tools would be limited to the DLC or Subscription type

Ok Thanks!

I can confirm that my 2nd account which has been active on-and-off since 2003 has never lost a single rank point, even after one really long stretch of being inactive (5+ years).

4 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

We getting it, but i think it entails a major billing system rewrite for it to work
i know a lot of people would like it

This is correct, and the new billing system is in testing 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, aismov said:

One option would've to charge something less than a AAA title upfront (say 49.99) and say you have 1 year of premium play included. Then after the year is up you have to pay for the subscription service (or be more limited via the DLC route).

I like this idea!

A year is very generous...maybe 3 months? Only because if the have played that long they are already hooked!

1 hour ago, dropbear said:

A year is very generous...maybe 3 months? Only because if the have played that long they are already hooked!

I think a player would balk at the idea of paying essentially for the price of a new game knowing that they can only play for 3 months. I think 12 months is a good balance of not too long but enough to where players think they are getting their money's worth. I would be afraid that players would think 6 months is too short. Especially since some players put a game down after 2-3 months and then come back again 7-8 months later.

Giving players enough time gives them a feeling of not being ripp d off, and combined with DLC options it gives them options to pick what they want.

Edited by aismov

Maybe I'm mistaken but the last time  you posted a link a couple of days ago to other games they deleted the post... so don't be surprised if this last one disappears too.  If CRS could make it free and keep the servers running there is no doubt in my mind that they would do so in a heartbeat. The huge battles after the Steam release were pretty memorable. I believe a lot of players on Steam would still pan the game for the graphics and it's difficult learning curve. 

the "mostly negative" and "mixed" reviews may seam disheartening, but the number of reviews are fairly low.

RATS, if you tackle the issues, and bring activity back; you can still get a "mostly positive" overall and "very positive" recent

The original question within this thread was answered and the topic has moved into something else. CRS continues to evaluate our business model and look for new ways to generate revenue to offset the overhead it takes to keep the game up and running and being further developed.