Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixpk

Bring Back The Night (as it was in the beginning)

22 posts in this topic

S! I started with a subscription  in 2003 (under a different handle) (beta tester in 1999).

So Night was Black as it should be and obviously lighting by the moon, it was SO Immersive! I would sometimes lie low down during the Night and sometimes attack because of the Night Cover of Darkness! It was So Immersive!

So RaTs! can you bring back the  NighT as it was?! 

New people to this Great Game have never seen it like it was.

Lets get back to was this Great Game! Get back to Total Immersion!

Edited by sixpk9
1 person likes this

Sadly, people would just cheat by increasing their monitor gamma.... So people like you and me, who liked the night and thought it was immersive, had to choose between immersion and playing on a level playing field with the gamma-cheaters who were killing you. I don't know any good solution for this except for keeping things how they are now.

I never did that. Some would sure. Thats not the piont.

Bring Back The Night!

1 person likes this

To make my point clear I fight Exactly at Night (now) as during the day  because there is no real difference to Night Combat!

Edited by sixpk9

32 minutes ago, xanthus said:

Sadly, people would just cheat by increasing their monitor gamma.... So people like you and me, who liked the night and thought it was immersive, had to choose between immersion and playing on a level playing field with the gamma-cheaters who were killing you. I don't know any good solution for this except for keeping things how they are now.

I agree. I personally loved the old night as well, but like xanthus said gamma cheaters were aplenty. I won't pretend that I didn't adjust my own gamma on more than one occasion. 

I would love for a darker night but not sure how to achieve it. Maybe it could be tweaked to make it a bit darker next patch and see how it goes. I agree that now I play at night the same as I do back during the day.

Back I the early 2000s battles would often die down at night time. It was a very interesting dynamic with the attackers retreating to the FB and the defenders trying to organize for the morning defense.

Thats what I'm taking about! 

Cheaters will always be here sadly.

Let get to what made this Game Great!

Bring Back The Night!

I’d definitely be all for it. For one thing air operations are only somewhat restricted by our current “night”, I’d like to see it have a much greater effect. Even with a small risk of cheating I’d like to see night have more effect on the battle. Maybe visibility restrictions would be in order, or for the air game, removing the air contact markers during the night. 

The depth of night went through several interactions. At first it was pitch black where you couldn't see more than 6 feet ahead of you. That was rife for cheating since it became a game of gamma cheaters clubbing not just baby seals but blind baby seals. You could literally walk into an AB and pick people off. The night then became a bit lighter where it was possible to fight back and made gamma cheating less of an issue.

At some point the night became even lighter like it is now but not sure when that happened.

Edited by aismov

I made a dark night, by accident, it was night even if the sun was out
but there was no gamma hack on earth that would save you.

I will bring it up to see if it could be intentionally used at all, since it was the result of kind of breaking something, it may not be usable.
It was dark though, very dark, like sneak up and stab people in the middle of the street dark.

I remember at first having these blind arse fire fights, cause you couldn't really see each other
sun come out and you find you are only across the road from each other
Those were fun

6 people like this

One more really important point:

When nights were darker, players simply logged off. A lot of players. Not only did they complain on these very forums, but they logged off during night time in such high numbers that I think even CRS's own internal data showed that it was causing unacceptable drop-offs in player numbers. As far as I know, that's the main reason why nights were made brighter.

Now I definitely don't agree with the players who logged off. It was awesome seeing muzzle flash in dark nights. But I'm just saying that many players did log off and complain, and it was enough to get CRS to change things to the way they are now. If memory serves, KILLER used to talk about some day adding flares to the game and additional light sources as a possible solution....but here we are, ~15 years later, and obviously none of that happened. I can only assume the simpler route was just to make nights brighter (which seems to be what most players wanted anyway).

Edited by xanthus

Having night time so you can't see is really not game worthy . Nice idea but not really practical .

We don't have flashlights or headlights or fires that radiate light .

People will just log as they used to do when night was dark .

Hard to say I guess, unless your the guy looking at the server data.
I know some large notable squads did not log, 31st WC was known to do large movements in the dark
Sun would come up and BOOM, were did all those enemy come from.
And I knew a number of people who flew the bombers and would start their flight at night to reduce risk of getting intercepted.
Saw a number of groups bringing spits over from England that way too

I know people did log, and were very vocal about it.
I know the 2nd squad I was in, I was told to log off, I guess in official protest.
I said no, I was having fun at the time in a little town fight, and then I was no longer in the squad, eh oh well.

I never really understood why though, there were a lot of great aspects to having it be night time

2 people like this

It exists ways to cancel any gamma-heater effects but this another part of game graphics development.

Sure it would be good to see the real nights back!

2 people like this

I do remember players logging myself. But with time we figured out how to utilize the night to our advantage. Buy TBH players and squad members still logged when might hit. Granted often times it was a beer break and then logged back on 30 mins later when it was dawn. But it did happen.

That said I'm still asap ported if darker night.

Gamma adjustments don't provide a relevant advantage in a game world where the night texture palette at LOD0 is rendered as normal, but the night texture palette at farther LODs includes only 0-0-0 and 255-255-255, i.e. all aspects of the world are black, all aspects of all objects are black, all light sources (explosions, tracers, muzzleflashes) are bright white.

2 people like this

Like I said Bring Back The Night!

Edited by sixpk9
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, jwilly said:

Gamma adjustments don't provide a relevant advantage in a game world where the night texture palette at LOD0 is rendered as normal, but the night texture palette at farther LODs includes only 0-0-0 and 255-255-255, i.e. all aspects of the world are black, all aspects of all objects are black, all light sources (explosions, tracers, muzzleflashes) are bright white.

Could somebody translate this for us mere mortals? My understanding is that if the textures are black then adjusting gamma doesn't help since a lighter black is still black. But if night is modeled as a post-processing where you have normal day textures that are just made darker by adjusting global lighting then gamma can increase your visibility?

Merlin or Bmbm can speak to this, but I think all objects have a set of day textures and a set of night textures. The engine segues between them at dusk and dawn. Night isn't just day-darker. What we think of as "illumination" is just the texture-colors and brightnesses of the things we're looking at, i.e. the sky is an object, the ground is an object, and so forth. There is no functionality in the current engine that operates with a model of actual illumination physics, and there are no actual light sources. The visual effects of illumination are simulated other, simpler ways.

Edited by jwilly
1 person likes this

buildings and such only have one texture set, nothing different for day or night.

We dont presently have point sourced volumetric lighting, only point sourced glare/bloom/coronal effect, but the sun object does not light the world yet, it only adds the blinded by the sun effect.
It technically does add light, but in a very narrow area of effect

Light is presently global
If light level is say 255
it is 255 everyplace

I could not explain the techniques to have parts and surfaces in models light correctly for the state of the environment or light differently because perhaps the model is a building cellar with almost no windows, as i do not directly work with the models.

@Bmbm or @Xl2rippr would be your guys there to explain that magic.

As for the world itself, you might ask @OLDZEKE as he  has done some poking and prodding at the shaders etc
and i think night might use a combination and light level, RGB and shifting of shaders or something like that
He may know better.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0