• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
matamor

White skulls must be removed

25 posts in this topic

White skulls just say to enemy where you are. We already have tools to mark things on the map. It's an easy mode feature that wwiionline doesn't need to.

After a certain rank, lets say 3 or 5, it should be removed and not showing anymore on UI or map.

1 person likes this

Enemy can not see your skull, you only see where your own guys died at, unless i misread you?

17 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Enemy can not see your skull, you only see where your own guys died at, unless i misread you?

Well it has a reversal effect. If your enemies know where their friends died, they know exactly where you at.

Edited by matamor

54 minutes ago, matamor said:

Well it has a reversal effect. If your enemies know where their friends died, they know exactly where you at.

This is bad for stats. 

I was never a fan of the white skull or the floating blue skull, personally. But I can also live with it if its something most players want.

Its useful to the ML, when no one wants to talk, he can look and see that people should
stop running there and get a new plan.

Until everyone starts to mark the map - all the time and/or it becomes possible to tell where an enemy might be via reporting (as would happen in RL), the skulls fulfill the dual function.

1 hour ago, matamor said:

they can't know "exactly where you are at", just areas that are likely to end in death.

If we are talking about in open fields a sniper could be 200 m away or 300 or whatever...even a good rifleman could do that.

In town, perhaps it might be as you say..given the close proximity, but if there's a lot of action anyway...it may make no difference, as even if a person marks an enemy in a cp, the enemy may or may not be there shortly after the mark (or after the skull)

I think the eliminating the feature after someone reaches a certain experience level might be interesting. 

In the end it might be helpful for new players...not sure... maybe someone could do a poll on it.

S!

Actually for new players I think that is a great point that it gives them vital information which vets instinctively know but greentags probably have no idea about.

1 hour ago, minky said:

This is bad for stats. 

Well now they just know which building(s) to sap.

Edited by matamor

Never liked the skulls, we didn't need them before why do we still need them now. If I recall it right they were put in game for the Chinese version and we also got stuck with it. But I could be wrong. 

But no matter which way we slice it, the game be better without them, after all a person that dies can't talk. But we can after we die respawn and still mark the general area of danger and that should be good enough.

All the skulls did take the ambush aspect of the game somewhat away. 

Never liked the skulls, we didn't need them before why do we still need them now. If I recall it right they were put in game for the Chinese version and we also got stuck with it. But I could be wrong. 

But no matter which way we slice it, the game be better without them, after all a person that dies can't talk. But we can after we die respawn and still mark the general area of danger and that should be good enough.

All the skulls did take the ambush aspect of the game somewhat away. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, matamor said:

Oh I don't know about that.  A good rifleman/sniper is usually nowhere near their targets.  I would surmise for every guy that gets killed because of the skull 'giving away their position', there is a similar amount that dies because they THINK the skull shows where the enemy is.  I know from some of my missions, that I've shot people in the same location from the same location for relatively long periods of time before relocating, because the skull is a magnet for fellow targets. ;)

S!

I hate the skulls and the whole idea of them. I don't have them turned on and after a while I forget that they are in game. Any good player should know where enemies are by the sound of their guns. Knowing instantly when and where someone dies is lame.  

I've always been a bit torn on the white skull piece.   It provides real-world data that overcomes the comms issue, as well as general SA challenges posed by a computer screen and not always positionally accurate audio.   In the real world, given your hearing is intact you'd have a better sense of gun fire direction and distance, not so much in game.   I like the idea of clipping it off after a certain rank,  another idea is shorten their existence life span as a function of rank.

P-

1 person likes this

On 1/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, aismov said:

I was never a fan of the white skull or the floating blue skull, personally. But I can also live with it if its something most players want.

Same.

But for the record, I've always had the skulls disabled (they can be disabled in Preferences tab). The floating skulls are silly and totally immersion-breaking...and frankly, if you have decent situational awareness, they're totally unnecessary. I don't need or want to see floating skulls in a simulated WWII battlefield. Ever.

For that matter, I play ~99% of the time with playertags disabled too. These are immersion-breaking too, *plus* the absurdly over-sized tags can obscure your view.

Also, I have the mini-map disabled. First off, it's completely and totally unnecessary (just press your map key), distracting, looks horrible, and (again) breaks immersion.

FWIW, HUD should be minimal and unobtrusive in any first-person shooter or combat sim. This golden law of game design is definitely not followed in this game.

44 minutes ago, augetout said:

Oh I don't know about that.  A good rifleman/sniper is usually nowhere near their targets.  I would surmise for every guy that gets killed because of the skull 'giving away their position', there is a similar amount that dies because they THINK the skull shows where the enemy is.  I know from some of my missions, that I've shot people in the same location from the same location for relatively long periods of time before relocating, because the skull is a magnet for fellow targets. ;)

S!

shoot 2 guys, then take your SMG and displace to a location with view of where you know the skulls are
zap 2 more guys, displace to a location that can see where these skulls are
blast next two guys, keep repeating dragging skulls across town.

Check AAR

It's same guys.

Now if the skull is at the top of the bunker stairs, yea it probably means i am behind the boxes

1 person likes this

Still, the street fighting took a huge hit with the white skulls introduction from few years ago. Listen to guns, complete immersion, people has better sound cards with ambient sounds ON now, this is not @BirdBox after all without skulls.

Of course you can remove them, this is simple as playing with no sounds? You can remove your sound and creates a handicap that your enemy has probably not. LOL

Edited by matamor

1 hour ago, matamor said:

Still, the street fighting took a huge hit with the white skulls introduction from few years ago. Listen to guns, complete immersion, people has better sound cards with ambient sounds ON now, this is not @BirdBox after all without skulls.

Of course you can remove them, this is simple as playing with no sounds? You can remove your sound and creates a handicap that your enemy has probably not. LOL

I knew this was really about stats. 

Pinpointing on land where your friends died on the battlefield or inside cps, aren't historical. 

There was no GPS on hot cadavers in 1940.

This is not historical.

But I suggest to leave it for first ranks to help apprehending game.

@XOOM

they are very useful when defending a cp/bunker and trying to coordinate an attack....... I sit and watch my map and direct specific people accordingly, both from skulls and just unit information

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, matamor said:

White skulls just say to enemy where you are. We already have tools to mark things on the map. It's an easy mode feature that wwiionline doesn't need to.

After a certain rank, lets say 3 or 5, it should be removed and not showing anymore on UI or map.

So you want skulls disabled for everyone? Why just the skulls? Well surely the whole mini map, and magically appearing contacts on main map, the exact location of every friendly within 1000m of you, friendly player names etc., should all go as well? They are "an easy mode feature". Oh yes, let us make this game as hard core as possible. If a greentag wants to join the game they are going to need to have done at least 12 weeks on the training server to be able to start to play (well that is more historically realistic I suppose).

Oh goodie, let us see if we can possibly make this game so much of a simulation that no one is actually left playing, because after you die you should not be able to spawn back into the game again.

If it is just your role playing immersion that you want to enhance then just switch off the skulls and player names etc. But it isn't your game experience you want to change, you just worry that it helps another player to live longer.

S! Ian

Edited by ian77
1 person likes this

On 1/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, xanthus said:

FWIW, HUD should be minimal and unobtrusive in any first-person shooter or combat sim. This golden law of game design is definitely not followed in this game.

this game was designed and created before there were any laws, golden or otherwise, in game design. 

take a look at any, as you call them, FPS/Combat Sims designed and launched 1999/2001. Oh right, sorry, you can't, they didn't survive. 

Image result for Return to Castle Wolfenstein

7 hours ago, MikeAZ said:

we need flaming skulls.

Related image