delems

Squad specific coding.

29 posts in this topic

Is there any way to get squad specific coding?

For one:

Need members of our squad to be able to access all the gear their sub allows them to, regardless of rank.

Then, allow CO to set the rank of the members.

This way they can be private, but still use sniper if their sub allows them too.

Second:

CO specified mission, if the CO creates a mission and codes it AA, it allows all members (regardless of sub) to then spawn AA. (just light Flak 30)

or say codes it ATG (just Pak 36), or light armor (just IIC and 232).

This way, we can have operations and all the members participate.... I tried creating squad AA action.. but half the squad can't access Flak 30 :(

Finally, would be really nice in the squad page where the members are listed, to have some sort of coding so I can instantly see who is FPA (DLC?), starter or premium.

Then I can know what they can do to help squad. (maybe color code?)

29 minutes ago, delems said:

Is there any way to get squad specific coding?

For one:

Need members of our squad to be able to access all the gear their sub allows them to, regardless of rank.

Then, allow CO to set the rank of the members.

This way they can be private, but still use sniper if their sub allows them too.

Second:

CO specified mission, if the CO creates a mission and codes it AA, it allows all members (regardless of sub) to then spawn AA. (just light Flak 30)

or say codes it ATG (just Pak 36), or light armor (just IIC and 232).

This way, we can have operations and all the members participate.... I tried creating squad AA action.. but half the squad can't access Flak 30 :(

Finally, would be really nice in the squad page where the members are listed, to have some sort of coding so I can instantly see who is FPA (DLC?), starter or premium.

Then I can know what they can do to help squad. (maybe color code?)

Equipment is available by subscription type and rank. That won't change.  At least not any time resembling soon

If a player currently does not have access to equipment they are supposed to - have them submit a ticket

Squad Internal ranks

a) May be possible on the tool page (but will require a good amount of back end re-work)

b ) reflecting in game - will not happen soon

I'm not the decider, but having a mission which gives access to equipment which would otherwise be unavailable to a player probably isn't going to be a thing ever (let alone soon).

I'm not the decider, but having a mission which restricts equipment available to spawn - even if only squad internal - is probably not going to be a thing   

Exposing players subscription data (even if only type) also isn't in my perveue, but I'd also think that would not be a thing.  

I understand.

Just all these issues are impacting the ability to have good squad ops.

I don't know what my members can do - I call an AA op, and no one can spawn AA :(, call an FMB op.. again, half can't spawn FMB.

I try and setup squad ranks so our squad can have privates, corporals and sergeants, but again - unable.

Just letting you know how hard it is to try and do anything fun with a squad.

And no, I can't memorize what 60 players have for sub types and can spawn......

Guess I'm telling ya can't really run a squad very well - too hard.

As heard in game... "a squad just means you have an extra tag under your name in the game world" :(

Edited by delems

1 hour ago, delems said:

I understand.

Just all these issues are impacting the ability to have good squad ops.

I don't know what my members can do - I call an AA op, and no one can spawn AA :(, call an FMB op.. again, half can't spawn FMB.

I try and setup squad ranks so our squad can have privates, corporals and sergeants, but again - unable.

Just letting you know how hard it is to try and do anything fun with a squad.

And no, I can't memorize what 60 players have for sub types and can spawn......

Guess I'm telling ya can't really run a squad very well - too hard.

As heard in game... "a squad just means you have an extra tag under your name in the game world" :(

I disagree with this, as 7th AST had 30 in game the other night, and we communicated via Voice comms what was needed before mission was up, they then can split into fire teams in discord to have battle comms, not sure why this cant be done know with Voice comms and text. Squad channel.

3 hours ago, delems said:

I tried creating squad AA action.. but half the squad can't access Flak 30 :(

Aren't the flak30 and the FMB rank 0 access?
Or was it a subscription level thing?

Yes, sub.  I know they can't spawn them normally.

Was just wondering if the CO makes a specific type of coded mission, then those FPA could spawn the light gear of that type of mission.

So, CO codes an AA mission, now all FPA can spawn light AA.

This way we could have squad ops and all in squad participate.  Tried an AA op and FMB op - but half the players couldn't join the squad on the op as FPA.

Was just asking.

The reason the visibility would be good, is then at least I could look at the squad list and see half my troops on atm are FPA, and hence not worth running AA or FMB type ops; rather infantry only OR I could try and run 2 ops with an XO leading the on and CO the other - thus keeping the FPA involved too.

It basically is trying to integrate the newer players (many FPA) into the squad via ops.

Edited by delems

On 1/6/2019 at 5:27 PM, B2K said:

I'm not the decider, but having a mission which gives access to equipment which would otherwise be unavailable to a player probably isn't going to be a thing ever (let alone soon).

I'm not the decider, but having a mission which restricts equipment available to spawn - even if only squad internal - is probably not going to be a thing   

Exposing players subscription data (even if only type) also isn't in my perveue, but I'd also think that would not be a thing.  

Understood, but all of these ideas make excellent business sense. @XOOM

Maybe somehow being part of a squad op could bypass the ranking-up logic...which after all is just a legacy artifact of what's expected from other games, not particularly functional in this one...?

Regarding access to weapons unavailable to a given player's subscription type...seems like that's an opportunity for the squad leader to apply encouragement to those squad members that cannot participate, to become subscribers or buy the needed DLC...but that cannot work unless the squad leader knows who's got what weapon capabilities. 

I think this is solved not by letting squads give equipment, but by simply giving everyone basic kit, that being AA and AT capabilities. There's more to this game than just infantry play, sometimes you need someone to sit back and defend, or pull a specific role. Why would anyone want to do the menial job of light AA/AT defense? 

I do not see the reason for withholding this equipment. Seems counter intuitive if you want less experienced players to play a role in the world and be useful to their squads. Unless the intention is for SLs to sit back and defend while people without sub/dlc push the points.

Edited by knucks

10 minutes ago, knucks said:

I do not see the reason for withholding this equipment. 

Basic business needs. Revenue per player. Inability at present to monetize FPA gameplay except by encouraging subscription to get access to more tools.

I think this is solved not by letting squads give equipment

The point of the thread is: ways to strengthen the appeal of squads, and their ability to aid CRS in achieving business goals.

Edited by jwilly

On 1/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, BLKHWK8 said:

I disagree with this, as 7th AST had 30 in game the other night, and we communicated via Voice comms what was needed before mission was up, they then can split into fire teams in discord to have battle comms, not sure why this cant be done know with Voice comms and text. Squad channel.

I have to back up the Community Manager here on this one. Squads require excellent leadership and excellent followership. At the same time I do recognize we need to examine ways to make Squads more impactful and valuable, not just in terms of how it performs on the battlefield and what sort of impact it has on the tactical / strategic front... but we need Squads to be more valuable to participate in. 

Historically it has been players being able to show up and fall in to an organized fight and play with their friends. This remains true, but thirty 5 man squads, isn't helping the equation of large scale organized battles. It makes sense to see some of these Squads, on their own (without any of our interference at CRS), to merge together and recognize the health of the game depends on Squads taking an interest in:

• Recruiting new players
  • Recruiting veteran players
  • Establishing communications
  • Setting Squad nights
  • Determining leadership
  • Working with the global strategy side of things
  • Actively logging in and providing direction / action
  • Rewarding players for outstanding conduct
  • Rinse repeat

Squad growth is critical and we need the community to take a greater stake in the ownership of this process. CRS has some ways to help, but a motivated Squad can achieve a lot on their own right now without a lot of our help. It just takes some initiative.

Cant FTP guys crew the FMBs that premium players spawn on your "squad OP" missions Delems?  I know this is not the complete solution you seek, but it may be a work around for the FMBs at least?

I know Lancers and Whips will encourage a FTP account to crew a panzer with a Vet and give them a proper taste of tanking, and try to "sell them" on the game.

S! Ian 

Edited by ian77

5 hours ago, jwilly said:

Understood, but all of these ideas make excellent business sense.

I'm not saying some of them don't - it could make sense to remove rank limitations for squad members on a squad mission.  I can also see how allowing non-subscribed members access to subscription restricted equipment would dis-incentive them from possibly subscribing.  Because after all why pay, when I can just join a squad and get equipment type X ? 

1 hour ago, B2K said:

I'm not saying some of them don't - it could make sense to remove rank limitations for squad members on a squad mission.  I can also see how allowing non-subscribed members access to subscription restricted equipment would dis-incentive them from possibly subscribing.  Because after all why pay, when I can just join a squad and get equipment type X ? 

I accept Xoom's final word, but just continuing the discussion:

No, certainly it would make no sense to de-incentivize monetezation for FPA squad members. The thought rather was that some of the suggestions are potentially synergistic with CRS's business goals. If each squad leader could see that squad's subscription type, they could more effectively reinforce CRS's communications to FPA players in that squad that they could take part in more kinds of squad ops if they had the required DLC, or were subscribers. 

I'll throw some opinion coins in the bucket. I think that a lot of these squad tools are a solution in search of a problem.

As someone both from a very large squad that could easily have 20-30 members on during a normal weekday evening, I can tell you the last thing we worried about is ingame ranks. We had our own internal squad organization and a very simple rank system (we were never a uber-Sim squad), but in game everything was pre planned verbally. So if we were doing an op, even no squad night we would designate these guys as the N CP capping team, these guys did support, these guys defended the FB, abd so on.

I doubt many squads who go through the effort of changing ingame ranks as some sort of organizational tool. For two reasons primarily:

1) tedium and time investment when you can make an ad hoc system over voice comms or chat in seconds 

2) the fluid nature of WWIIOL battles requires immense organizational (and not just tactical flexibility). One minute your nice organization structure is five, and the next minute you need to turn everything upside down. So rigid ranks are a hindrence, not a benefit.

To give a good example of particularly the second one, in my squad I was internally the CO of JG31, our squad air wing and wing commander of the CAS detatchment. But operationally, I found myself more on the ground often than in the air especially if I was the more senior squaddie around. So you would see the Stuka pilot pulling 88s one moment, only to spawn a rifle to support a capture the next, to be followed by lifting in a Stuka to bomb the AB.

And lastly I never experienced rank restrictions to EVER be an issue. By rank 3 you can spawn most of anything valuable which you can achieve after a few days of playing the game.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, aismov said:

I'll throw some opinion coins in the bucket. I think that a lot of these squad tools are a solution in search of a problem.

As someone both from a very large squad that could easily have 20-30 members on during a normal weekday evening, I can tell you the last thing we worried about is ingame ranks. We had our own internal squad organization and a very simple rank system (we were never a uber-Sim squad), but in game everything was pre planned verbally. So if we were doing an op, even no squad night we would designate these guys as the N CP capping team, these guys did support, these guys defended the FB, abd so on.

I doubt many squads who go through the effort of changing ingame ranks as some sort of organizational tool. For two reasons primarily:

1) tedium and time investment when you can make an ad hoc system over voice comms or chat in seconds 

2) the fluid nature of WWIIOL battles requires immense organizational (and not just tactical flexibility). One minute your nice organization structure is five, and the next minute you need to turn everything upside down. So rigid ranks are a hindrence, not a benefit.

To give a good example of particularly the second one, in my squad I was internally the CO of JG31, our squad air wing and wing commander of the CAS detatchment. But operationally, I found myself more on the ground often than in the air especially if I was the more senior squaddie around. So you would see the Stuka pilot pulling 88s one moment, only to spawn a rifle to support a capture the next, to be followed by lifting in a Stuka to bomb the AB.

And lastly I never experienced rank restrictions to EVER be an issue. By rank 3 you can spawn most of anything valuable which you can achieve after a few days of playing the game.

Well said.

Maybe they aren't problems in your squad, but they surely would help our squad.

Hmm, show me a squad in WWII that was half Lt Cols in rank....

It's immersion, it's squad layout, organization and structure, it's perks for players that CO can reward to players.

And I'm telling you again, I'm trying to include the new players in our squad in operations - can't do it.

They can't spawn AA, they can't spawn FMB, they can't spawn ATG......  HENCE, they can't play with squad (on specific squad ops)

WAY to much work to sit and ask every player what they can do, and either write it down or ask every time, then try and find ops that they can do when they can't do what the squad is doing.

The idea was simply a way to include more FPA in action, if our squad goes on a AA run, CO could code the mission that way; and then only then FPA could spawn light AA etc...

They couldn't spawn AA at any other time.  It's an idea to HELP get new players involved in game and with squad.

Anyways w/e, just trying to communicate issues that our squad is having and are impacting me managing it.

Edited by delems

3 minutes ago, delems said:

They can't spawn AA, they can't spawn FMB, they can't spawn ATG

they can if they are subscribed, or DLC owners

2 hours ago, delems said:

They couldn't spawn AA at any other time.  It's an idea to HELP get new players involved in game and with squad.

Occasionally CRS temporarily adjusts what's globally available to FPA players as a sort of "try-befpre-you-buy" or sample process.

What if a sort of parallel process was made available to squad leaders, in which they could "give a certificate" to an FPA player that temporarily gives them access to a particular weapon for say 24 hours...?

I assume CRS's customer database could keep track to make sure that such a program could not be abused by either a player hopping between squads, or that player creating a new FP account, or a squad leader giving a favored FPA player a succession of certificates.

Seems to me that including an FPA player in a squad op is an excellent way to show them what organized gameplay and "WWIIOL Moments" can be like. 

16 hours ago, delems said:

Maybe they aren't problems in your squad, but they surely would help our squad.

Hmm, show me a squad in WWII that was half Lt Cols in rank....

It's immersion, it's squad layout, organization and structure, it's perks for players that CO can reward to players.

And I'm telling you again, I'm trying to include the new players in our squad in operations - can't do it.

They can't spawn AA, they can't spawn FMB, they can't spawn ATG......  HENCE, they can't play with squad (on specific squad ops)

WAY to much work to sit and ask every player what they can do, and either write it down or ask every time, then try and find ops that they can do when they can't do what the squad is doing.

The idea was simply a way to include more FPA in action, if our squad goes on a AA run, CO could code the mission that way; and then only then FPA could spawn light AA etc...

Anyways w/e, just trying to communicate issues that our squad is having and are impacting me managing it.

I doubt any actual "squad" in WW2 was led by a Lt Col. If ranking your squadmates matters that much to you make them put Pvt in front of their names, apart from the few you deem worthy to be one of the three CPLs and the Sgt.

Personally, I know my squadmates, and I don't need to write down what type of account they have. I admit I have not memorised their naval and air ranks so couldn't tell you if they can spawn a DD or not.

As already said, this seems to be creating a "problem" that does not really/need to exist IMHO.

S! ian

1 person likes this

*** I doubt any actual "squad" in WW2 was led by a Lt Col.

Of course they weren't, but sure have Lt Cols in our squad...

I turned recruiting off; solved the problem of new players.

Yes, the core players know our structure, but new players don't; we were getting like 40 per week.

Seeing mostly privates, a new player would know right away it was someone 'up' in the squad if they had a sergeant or staff sergeant rank.

Also, I'd like to be able to promote players from Private, up to Private first class, corporal etc. as perk and for good play.

We have realistic ballistics, and armor and ammo, how come not ranks? (if a squad wanted it)

I guess I'm really not understanding the system you are proposing. It seems that you more have an issue with too many F2P players than with regular players.

Right now we have ingame ranks that determine what you can and cannot spawn, and many squads have/had their own websites and forums with a rank structure and exactly like you said offer perks/rank/awards etc. Personally the 31st never did that kind of stuff since we didn't care too much for it but many squads had very elaborate rank and award systems. But more importantly I think we need to always see how the system could potentially be exploited and what the common denominator squad leader would day.

Maybe you personally would judiciously promote players in-game according to the skill and performance. I would be willing to bet a hefty sum of money that the vast majority of squad leaders would simply promote everyone to max possible rank right off the bat so everyone can spawn the same equipment and you never have to worry about it again.

We simply can't have two competing rank systems ingame. Either it is game-based based on rank points from missions as we see now, or it would be squad based by CO promotion where we run into the problem of unintended consequences of how the system would be used in reality versus in theory, as well as the issue of how do lone wolf players rank up? And how equitable is it for a lone wolf player to grind through the ranks when a squad CO can simply promote you to max rank?

Rank should have nothing to do with gear - make the current rank 'experience level' or something.

Then have an assignable rank that CO can give players in squad - or if they don't, their default rank is their 'experience level'.

So change rank to "Technical Level"
Create "Rank" as a squad function
But what will rank do exactly, aside from organization that a squad may nor may not make use of?

The technical level will say what i CAN spawn
what will the squad rank do?
and what would you see people who are not in a squad, or are maybe in a squad that isnt bothering with the ranks show to you ask?

Squad rank is for immersion and showing structure of squad, along with giving CO ways to promote players, a reward for good play.

Players not in a squad, or if a squad did not use the rank idea, those players default rank wold be the same as what their 'experience level' was; like today.

54 minutes ago, delems said:

Squad rank is for immersion and showing structure of squad, along with giving CO ways to promote players, a reward for good play.

Players not in a squad, or if a squad did not use the rank idea, those players default rank wold be the same as what their 'experience level' was; like today.

Ok, thanks for clarifying
So in essence a vanity tag if you will.