• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
delems

Squad specific coding.

29 posts in this topic

When long ago discussed by Gophur, rank would have become a tactical-gameplay communications tool, i.e. the corporals and especially the sargeants are the players you pay attention to in regard to tactical orders/requests/guidance. A leadership tool, if you will...just like in real life.

If anything is a "vanity tag", it's the current game ranks. Someone grinds for a while and becomes a "lieutenant colonel", and that has leadership meaning in tactical gameplay? Ummm, I don't think so. The game only has the exjsting rank system because that was the norm for competing shooters, and old-CRS thought that players would want the ego-stroke of being able to achieve the same rank as Patton, Montgomery, Rommel or Leclerc just by playing for a while. OK, basic marketing is important, but it doesn't help tactical gameplay...and it's the tactical gameplay here that we hope eventually will make this game a commercial success.

You know... I started reading this thread quite as an skeptic going whatever, you want stuff subscribe... 

Then admittedly influenced by one of Jwilly's post as how this makes business sense... then coupled it with delems comment on turning off auto recruitment and solving the issue that way...

Then I could also relate to what Ian was saying about knowing his squad mates and so on... also remembering what aismov was describing with pre-planning with larger teams online...

Now for last couple of weeks I have actually turned on Auto recruit on for our squad and seen the unreal FLOW of uncommunicative in old ways (chat function) to... They come, they see, most of them of them do not immerse.

There must be some way of of-course limiting it to something like Squad points earned ... for Squad CO to unlock something will cost him X "Squad Points" .... to earn squad points you to do things like set mobile spawns, defend FBs, capture CPs (Spawnbles more points, City less point, AB more point etc) ... bomb bridges that are AOed.... defend CPs.., KILL enemy .. (pretty much as you earn points now but piled in for squad CO to spend in set chunks with some limits (i.e. cant buy more than one per week).

This way as the squad members do something they can see how much point their squad has accumulated and then the CO or OIC or can decide or even PRE PLAN the time etc for the operation that will have some sort of special unit unlocked for 10 or 20 or 30 members... or all members whatever CRS Thinks that will not make it so ppl just stay F2P forever but get to experience it more often in meaningful way).

I think encouraging squad play with RANDOM players is so vital in the game arena that we currently have which might be a way to to also cultivate and allow for the culture of Fraternal relationships that Ian is referring to or the war band relations that aismov is referring to, to reemerge from the MOBS that are the AUTO join squads that delems so desperately in this case was demonstrating to lead.

I have been part of HC pre- ToE, ToE inception, ToE glory days, ToE HC ghost days in all time zones and  been have also been part of large, medium and small elite squads. At each of these junctions squad play and friendship has been vital but also the immersion has been vital to keep the fun going as well. 

I empathize with the OP's challenge and hope it starts to be received by more of an open mind to see better solutions to actually get more wwiionline junkies by letting them get a strong enough dose of the drug that has the rest of us hooked.. 

my 2 cents..   

Potthead

On 1/13/2019 at 5:54 AM, ian77 said:

I doubt any actual "squad" in WW2 was led by a Lt Col. If ranking your squadmates matters that much to you make them put Pvt in front of their names, apart from the few you deem worthy to be one of the three CPLs and the Sgt.

S! ian

What he means is Lt.Col (i.e Full rank) in game that can access all equipment (due to subscription most likely) but could be just because the are very new first week or so and trying the game.. so no chance to trying anything unless they grind.

He is saying for these Auto Recruited squads, let the CO once in awhile create some sort of fun op that allows all the members regardless of sub or rank access the equipment for the duration of that mission/op.

1 hour ago, potthead said:

He is saying for these Auto Recruited squads, let the CO once in awhile create some sort of fun op that allows all the members regardless of sub or rank access the equipment for the duration of that mission/op.

I dont know that it would be a terrible idea, with proper control, like 1 op per month or something.

But there is something that is a bit lacking with the new recruits, that does not have to do with higher end equipment access.
While they are greenies and riflemen and limited in the extent they can just run off and blow things up seems a very good time to teach them about covering and depending on each other and working together as a team.

One rifleman running around half solo, yea dead meat
Teach 6 riflemen to stick together, cover each other, move as a team, communicate plan and organize.
Now it isnt just one random rifleman running willy nilly, now you got 6 rifles gunning for you together.
Teach a few more, now you got 10 rifles and 20 pairs of ears and eyeballs.

You could have mother of god 20mm LMG in your pocket, and you got 10 guys with rifles working as a cohesive unit, and you dont have that
you're screwed.

And then when they get other equipment and keep applying the same thing, stuff starts going boom.

I think we all kind of fall short in teaching them how to be effective at the basic level, with that rifle first.
We kind of run off and leave them, Oh you only have a rifle? sorry maybe next time....