• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
markec

Rats can easily improve the graphics with an open source upscaler ESRGAN (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks)

153 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, xanthus said:

In the flag example, that was a texture....

I meant continuous textures,  not a conceptual image like a flag.

1 person likes this

The content-related performance I suspect depends on how the  "discriminator" (the antagonistic network part) was trained. If it was trained on landscapes then it will prefer landscape-like noise to be added to images. If it were trained on "flags" or cartoon-like images then it select enhanced resolution images with distributions that resemble flag or cartoon-like distributions. So if it were trained on "axis" flags and ensigns then it would select enhanced noisy images that most closely "resembled" axis flags.

In other words, if you have access to the "training" mode then you should be able to construct an "antagonistic network" tuned to your particular requirements.

1 hour ago, dog3 said:

The content-related performance I suspect depends on how the  "discriminator" (the antagonistic network part) was trained. If it was trained on landscapes then it will prefer landscape-like noise to be added to images. If it were trained on "flags" or cartoon-like images then it select enhanced resolution images with distributions that resemble flag or cartoon-like distributions. So if it were trained on "axis" flags and ensigns then it would select enhanced noisy images that most closely "resembled" axis flags.

In other words, if you have access to the "training" mode then you should be able to construct an "antagonistic network" tuned to your particular requirements.

That's a very good explanation!

I agree with others that I guess we should try it on ground textures or something which isn't a design with vertical and horizontal lines.

For defined images such flags, why not just recreate them in a resolution-independent format? The "natural" textures seem to be the appropriate target content for these resolution enhancers.

2 people like this

I agree with others that I guess we should try it on ground textures or something which isn't a design with vertical and horizontal lines.

Yea it can work even better with them.

Edited by markec

3 hours ago, markec said:

Some buttons or gauges in cockpit ? :)

Dqc1Bio.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My jaw is on the floor................. Breathtaking. Unbelievable.

So i have noticed that the flag had problems because it was very low res 128x128, the upscaler struggles with anythin at 128x128 and below to maintain the details, at 256x256 and above it's good.

Edited by markec

Ok so i've done all the textures Hatch sent me and we should see some before/after shots from him :)

2 minutes ago, markec said:

Ok so i've done all the textures Hatch sent me and we should see some before/after shots from him :)

Thanks for the work! 

1 person likes this

Thanks for your work on this, markec.

I still think there's no point in doing the flag texture... The flags are simply symbols and colors on fabric, and when the details get enhanced, it distorts the symbols, adding extra stuff that shouldn't be there.

Nevertheless, looking forward to stuff like the ground textures!

Great work markec! Nice catch on the 128x128 limitation.

S!

1 person likes this

Oh god. The destroyer textures. You want to claw your eyes out when you are inside that thing. Those are vintage 2003.

Nice work, markec. Thanks for the time that you have spent on this.

S!

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, markec said:

Say hello :D

9EAhYTT.png

Rivets turned out great! But what happened to my face? :P

21 minutes ago, HATCH said:

But what happened to my face?

resistance is futile
you have been assmutilated

It was the borg !

in other news, i've used a different method on the textures which provides a better accuracy, Hatch should already have the improved textures.

hfkAaS5.png