markecc

Rats can easily improve the graphics with an open source upscaler ESRGAN (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks)

205 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, markec said:

some thingy

twin drum mag from german planes crew gunners

Need to see it live as we lose some geometries. However I never saw such pixelized textures?

5 hours ago, markec said:

some thingy :)

3A4XZlN.png

this is .... pretty sure its from the 110 or jju87. its the spare magazine texture.

The most desperate need for upgrade are the plan and tank interior textures. Actually textures overall are what holds the game back in the eyes of newer players.

The old devs always would bring out the triangles argument, which I can understand. But when people talk about "good graphics" they are really talking about texture quality and fidelity and not necessarily triangle count. I remember thinking way back in 2001 how downright horrible the interior tank textures were... and those still haven't been updated in now going on 18 years. I think overall there are a couple of low-hanging fruit things that could be improved to give players a sensation that graphics are just improving the things that players look at the most: weapons, vehicle interiors, and ground textures. 1.36 is a step in the right direction especially with the new buildings being developed and that will help a lot.

One other thing I think could improve player perceptions to make add more props to the cities and make them feel a bit more real. One of my favorite buildings in-game is Pepe's Garage. Why? Because of the rusty truck and spare tires stacked out front. This is followed closely by the farm house because of the fence and hay bales. It just improves the immersion experience so much. Just 15-20 props like park benches, lamp-posts, trash cans, parked cars, fences/walls, shop stalls, etc. would do so much to make the urban combat game come more to life. Oh, and closer spacing of buildings in the large cities like Antwerp with realistic looking town squares.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, ZEBBEEE said:

Need to see it live as we lose some geometries. However I never saw such pixelized textures?

That's because both are 2k for comparison, the original texture is 256x256 and it looks so pixelated at 2k.  The same thing happens in the game when you look at an object with low res texture, it looks blurred out without detail...... when you will see in game you will see the difference.

1 hour ago, aismov said:

The old devs always would bring out the triangles argument,

that only applies to raw poly counts
textures are mostly a factor of texture memory, and download size going up a bit, but with other games needing 8gb to 40gb to download, we rock the download scene
Even if we doubled the download size.

textures can also have bump mapping applied, for the illusion of polys, so you can for example, have rivets, without having your 20k poly model become 200k
due to 10,000 real rivets

The average videocard today has more memory than the entire PC of 2004, when the models and textures were first updated (some textures)

I'm doing now a 3rd pass on the textures because i wanted to get more sharpness and detail and this is the effect

Yd7Xy1q.png

Most players have a GPU with 4 gb of memory, that is a massive frame buffer compared to the total download size of WWIIOL. I think we could pretty comfortably increase texture size and have a minimal hit in performance since overflowing the frame buffer manifest as stutters and not necessarily low FPS.

I loaded z34 destroyer updates but first pass was a mixed bag, Some things looked really good, others not so much, over processed and somewhat jumbled. Will try again after this last pack.

11 hours ago, aismov said:

The most desperate need for upgrade are the plan and tank interior textures. Actually textures overall are what holds the game back in the eyes of newer players.

Hands. Need more hands onboard.

Interiors could do with a LOT more detail - ie polys. Textures alone only go so far.

Case in point, the P40F vpit compared to the H81.

1 person likes this

Looking great! Would love to see the DD ingame even as a rough preAlpha WIP!

9 hours ago, Bmbm said:

Hands. Need more hands onboard.

Interiors could do with a LOT more detail - ie polys. Textures alone only go so far.

Case in point, the P40F vpit compared to the H81.

My only skillz are trolling the forums :( 

If CRS decides to improve the graphics engine, adding occlusion for the tank interiors might be very worthwhile, very good bang for the buck. The apertures in the tanks are so small and geometrically simple. I'll bet you could load the interiors with 1000s of polys. Could help make the tanks much more immersive and appealing.

Then interior lighting and shadows to seal the deal. Easy Peasy. :D

48 minutes ago, blggles said:

If CRS decides to improve the graphics engine, adding occlusion for the tank interiors might be very worthwhile, very good bang for the buck. The apertures in the tanks are so small and geometrically simple. I'll bet you could load the interiors with 1000s of polys. Could help make the tanks much more immersive and appealing.

Then interior lighting and shadows to seal the deal. Easy Peasy. :D

Yeah lighting would be awsome!

1 person likes this

How about ground and weapon textures?

Seems to me that if any one texture set would be a sure thing for this, it would be grass and dirt textures.

Edited by xanthus
1 person likes this

I’d like to see those too. Honestly, ive never seen the inside of a DD and likely never will. Just couldn’t give a crap about those. If ground textures come out great though, the whole map we play on looks better.

2 people like this

The poor cliffs of Dinant are in desperate need for a facelift. Same texture from the mid-2000 alpha days.

2 people like this

If ground textures come out great though, the whole map we play on looks better.

Yea, i'm also waiting on the ground textures :)

Edited by markec