markecc

Rats can easily improve the graphics with an open source upscaler ESRGAN (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks)

205 posts in this topic

Eeeek :D 

IMO it will best work with terrain, Building textures and weapon textures where there are no (much) geometries and symetries

Latest batch is done, eliminated over processing (nr 2) completely by using a different upscaling model, now waiting for Hatch to do the magic :)

CaY1ljJ3_o.png

Edited by markec

2 minutes ago, madrebel said:

the drum mag version 3 looks REALLY good.

Yea the whole texture set Hatch gave me is now with this quality :)

In the mean time while waiting for ground textures, i took some from a different game for a test and ground textures look great upscaled

GmrdmFX.jpg

Is there a before pic so we can see it in its original state?

Edited by bmw

On 1/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, markec said:

XQbjUQh.png

Black hole Sun...won't you come...won't you come

48 minutes ago, KMS said:

Black hole Sun...won't you come...won't you come

Noooo

I see bad moon a rising

17 hours ago, bmw said:

Is there a before pic so we can see it in its original state?

yea, although a new one because i deleted that one

PEyA3lq.jpg

For me graphic is not all.

But all people i have tell about BGE and when they try this game, in around 95% they say somethink like this.

"Maby the game is amazing, but the graphic is to bad for me"

All the new ground and air units and the gameplay update are great, but what the game really need is a improve of his graphic.

If CRS buy a graphic disigner they do more for the game as with 40 new playable units.

9 hours ago, markec said:

yea, although a new one because i deleted that one

PEyA3lq.jpg

Now THIS is absolutely amazing.

7 hours ago, sajuk said:

For me graphic is not all.

But all people i have tell about BGE and when they try this game, in around 95% they say somethink like this.

"Maby the game is amazing, but the graphic is to bad for me"

All the new ground and air units and the gameplay update are great, but what the game really need is a improve of his graphic.

If CRS buy a graphic disigner they do more for the game as with 40 new playable units.

Very true. I've argued for years for CRS to cut it out with the absurd variety of tanks and equipment. Clearly we don't need that to be successful. Improved graphics and gameplay would do far more for attracting and retaining new players; nobody cares about the fact that there are dozens of different AFVs.

Edited by xanthus

10 minutes ago, xanthus said:

Very true. I've argued for years for CRS to cut it out with the absurd variety of tanks and equipment. Clearly we don't need that to be successful. Improved graphics and gameplay would do far more for attracting and retaining new players; nobody cares about the fact that there are dozens of different AFVs.

I care, and there absolutely are differences between AFVs and missing ones we need.

Or want.

Pick one.

2 hours ago, xanthus said:

This is true. I've been saying this since 2001. It's not the triangles. It's texture quality (and now lighting/shadows). When ppl talk about good graphics they are referring to how detailed the textures are and not how many triangles the models have.

Unfortunately the old CRS was completely stubborn in this regard and now we have a huge backlog of what needs to be updated. Hoping that this can help with minimal developer time!

1 person likes this

So i've learned how to 'train' the program, need around 100 textures to train it to recognize the ww2ol texture patterns (the more the better), the actual training takes time though, i've read that the authors trained esrgan for 500,000 iterations, my PC processes 200 iterations in 7 minutes, so it will take me 2-3 weeks of real time to 'train' the AI and the result  which will be produced is unknown, but it's worth a try :)

Edited by markec

After training it for 4 hours on 50 textures that I have as a test, i can already see the potential, when I have a big enough texture set and train it fully, it should be giving perfect representation of low res textures.

q7OY4Er.png

Edited by markec

Looking very promising! S!

Does it spit out a bunch of iterations and then you pick the one which is incrementally better or is the system mostly automated?

17 minutes ago, aismov said:

Looking very promising! S!

Does it spit out a bunch of iterations and then you pick the one which is incrementally better or is the system mostly automated?

It's automated, with every new iteration the system makes more accurate interpretation based on the source material.

Basicaly it's like real life learning.... the more you do something, the better you get at it :)

Edited by markec

Found an interesting graph for the training.

patch_b.png

Seem i'll just train it to 100k as from 100 to 500k there is only 0.5 PSNR difference which is pretty minimal (the detail accuracy ratio), as the program starts from 20 PSNR i think, so from 0 to 100 it's 10 PSNR and from 100 to 500 only 0.6 lol.

Edited by markec