• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
markecc

Rats can easily improve the graphics with an open source upscaler ESRGAN (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks)

205 posts in this topic

What does PSNR stand for?

I never liked graphs with a Y axis that doesn't start at 0. Easy way for ppl to manipulate stats for the exact reason you said. On the graph diff looks HUGE... But the numbers are only 0.5 difference.

1 person likes this

LOL, in that case that graph is a completely different beast. A S/N difference if 0.5 vs the absolute magnitude... 100k iterations should be fine!

2 hours ago, xanthus said:

Any updates?

Hatch got the textures and i'm training the model.

Thanks markec! It would be great if the effort results in a more aesthetically pleasing game experience. I do think this would lower the threshold for players deciding to join the game. 

Continue please.

S!

3 people like this

22 hours ago, Elfin said:

Thanks markec! It would be great if the effort results in a more aesthetically pleasing game experience. I do think this would lower the threshold for players deciding to join the game. 

Continue please.

S!

I can't begin to say how huge if a difference better textures would make. All you have to do is read the steam reviews... graphics is a big issue. And that is from players who tried the game. We have no idea how many look at the screenshots and pass it up for that reason alone.

Current progress

7eOI19q.png

It takes time though, because i'm refining the techinque and each time I test i have to re-train the model from start but it's getting better :)

I am doing my level best not to get too caught up in the 'textures are going to drastically improve via this method', plan---------but gosh I hope it works as well as folks have said it will.

S!

22 hours ago, dog3 said:

We need a BOINC project to farm out all the texture iterations.

Just embed the BOINC client in a WWIIOL binary. The whole time you are playing, you are also training the model....

1 person likes this

On 2019-01-27 at 4:13 AM, augetout said:

I am doing my level best not to get too caught up in the 'textures are going to drastically improve via this method', plan---------but gosh I hope it works as well as folks have said it will.

S!

I hear ya. There won't be 10,000 players subbing perhaps, but hey... even if some small portion of that pony up... could be good. 

S!

This has been interesting thread to watch. I'm not sure what to make of the results, until we see them actually wrapped around a full model.

This seems to work very well for organic materials and textures where some entropy or randomness is expected. It works less well where there are known and expected geometric shapes such as round rivet heads and rectangular steel plates on the hull texture. In this context, it makes it resemble impressionist paintings when you look at them closely here in the forum. I'm curious how they will look when applied to full models - will they mesh in well with the current artistic direction of the game?

It works less well where there are known and expected geometric shapes such as round rivet heads and rectangular steel plates on the hull texture.

Yea, although i'm still training the model, the last 2 pictures that you see are  the model that i'm currently training but it's already improving, from impressionist painting to game textures, although i cannot tell by how much it will look better because it's all new to me also.

Here is latest rivet :P

va6xkme.png

Edited by markec