• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
markec

Rats can easily improve the graphics with an open source upscaler ESRGAN (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks)

194 posts in this topic

That really looks fantastic! Really interested to see what the DD looks like with the new textures.

how many folks actually lay eyes on DDs per campaign? let's see some ground textures, we all look at those a lot.

6 hours ago, aismov said:

That really looks fantastic! Really interested to see what the DD looks like with the new textures.

Yea, the model is improving, and i'm not even 2/4 done yet training. 

Can't wait to see the ground textures also ;)

Edited by markec

11 hours ago, madrebel said:

how many folks actually lay eyes on DDs per campaign? let's see some ground textures, we all look at those a lot.

Agreed, and also the Fairmile B which often is used at close enough ranges that more detail could be visible.

I think the DD is actually a great test vessel  to try since you can put it in and try it out performance wise without players flipping out over some obscure imperfection. But yes, the Fairmile is in desperate need of help.

This thread is dangerously at risk of falling off the front page. So I decided to leak another WIP picture. The Japaenese flag is only a placeholder since it is being tested outside of Area 51.

9645094a8f9b2e57b19669c2d2ae1b38.jpg

1 person likes this

On 2/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, aismov said:

I think the DD is actually a great test vessel  to try since you can put it in and try it out performance wise without players flipping out over some obscure imperfection. But yes, the Fairmile is in desperate need of help.

The visual quality of both the Type 34 and the Fairmile IMO is essentially irrelevant to the minimal commercial appeal of the current game's naval gameplay. It's fine to improve the models, but I doubt if it'll make any difference to CRS's revenue. 

The ground textures OTOH go directly to some of the most common criticisms of the game heard from a large percentage of potential customers.

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, jwilly said:

The visual quality of both the Type 34 and the Fairmile IMO is essentially irrelevant to the minimal commercial appeal of the current game's naval gameplay. It's fine to improve the models, but I doubt if it'll make any difference to CRS's revenue. 

The ground textures OTOH go directly to some of the most common criticisms of the game heard from a large percentage of potential customers.

Completely agree. But by doing the DD first it allows CRS to test and tweak things without the peanut gallery of experts (i.e. me, you, and forums trolls like us) offering advice and criticism how one small thing needs to be changed or else it will be a disaster that ruins the game.

Do the DD, put it in game as a test to check it out and see how it looks. If it's a eyesore no big deal. But if you do the ground and one blade of grass is not perfect someone here is going to flip their lid and start a huge whine thread.

I think grass/terrain/roads followed by buildings is the key, but let's test it out small first and not go all in with a 2-7 offsuit. :) 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Agree 100%. This should be happening for ground textures, not DDs.

Looking better every WIP I see! For the looks of it we have the new terrain in as well, along with Malta and the Meditteranean. 

5gt13xx.jpg

I had a few setbacks because I lost all my files, but I hope i'll be back on those textures soon again :)

I've been really thrilled and impressed by how this has progressed. It shows the amazing advancements in technology coming into our world. 

I'd also like to publicly commend and express a high level of appreciation to @markec for taking the initiative and demonstrating the quality capability of a new "Free Player" and how they can be a useful contributing member to our game community. An example for us all.

S! 

5 people like this

So when can we see examples of the work that is going on regarding this (other than what has been posted)?  What are the timelines if any at this point?

Thanks.

17 hours ago, XOOM said:

I've been really thrilled and impressed by how this has progressed. It shows the amazing advancements in technology coming into our world. 

I'd also like to publicly commend and express a high level of appreciation to @markec for taking the initiative and demonstrating the quality capability of a new "Free Player" and how they can be a useful contributing member to our game community. An example for us all.

S! 

S!

2 people like this

Bumping this one up to see if there has been any more progress S! 

XOOM: I know this is supposed to be a free program, but do you see any possible side hidden costs?