• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
dog3

Mission-specific rank prefixes to game handles

6 posts in this topic

On a per-mission basis suppose rank indicators could be provided independently of "game" rank. The intent is to separate accumulated game-rank from the in-game situation and provide a more immersive environment. A mission leader would be given a "Sgt" prefix that would be shown with their handle in-game irrespective of their actual accumulated game rank. Subsequent players would be given a "pvt" prefix to their handle. These rank prefixes would be completely independent of their accumulated game-rank although the "HC" indicator would also be shown if the player was a member of HC. For example, if a HC member spawned into a pre-existing mission their tag might be shown as "Pvt Bigwheel (HC)". A mission leader would always be shown with a prefix of "Sgt". The current game-rank icons would not be shown. New player tags would still be shown in "green". Accumulated game-rank would still be used to determine access to equipment.

The purpose of this change would be to make "visible" rank indicators more closely related to game-play roles rather than accumulated experience and equipment access.

Proposed multiple times over the years, and I think it was getting some traction with Gophur when the old-CRS wheels came off.

Gameplay progression should be toward a persistent personal point score...not about "ranking up". That particular shooter gaming legacy is dysfunctional in this game.

Weapon access would be directly converted over to point score. No real change there.

As proposed, rank should be directly and only related to the immediate mission's gameplay. Infantry leaders are sargeants and a few lieutenants, other infantry are privates and a few corporals. Pilots leaders are majors and a few colonels, other pilots are lieutenants and a few captains. No "promotions" for mission accomplishments...your rank for that mission is sargeant or lieutenant if you're an infantry mission leader, private or corporal if you joined someone else's mission. Experience and seniority determines whether an infantry mission leader is a base sargeant, a master sargeant or a lieutenant. The rank of the mission leader communicates to joiners which mission leaders are more senior and experienced.

If someday there's a scoring system that determines which attack or defend missions accomplish their goals best, mission leader ranks instead would be determined by the mission leader most-recent-missions-led score.

And, so forth.

Hate to sound like a negative nancy but this to me sounds in theory exactly how .orders and rally points sounded when they were first proposed. I'm sure some dedicated players would love this system and use it daily. But I can't see mission leaders going through the tedium of assigning individual ranks to players on their mission.

You could theoretically make it a automated system where you have squad-based group spawning and players pick their roles until all in the squad have been filled. But I still fail to see how this would appreciably affect or improve gameplay. If anything the current ingame rank system is an excellent signalling mechanism to quickly see what caliber of player you are dealing with. Round circle? Probably a veteran you can rely on. Diagonal bars? That guy may need to some help.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, and certainly am open to being convinced. Has this really been an issue? Are players chomping at the bit to have a realistic distribution of ranks in-game?

On 1/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, aismov said:

Hate to sound like a negative nancy but this to me sounds in theory exactly how .orders and rally points sounded when they were first proposed. I'm sure some dedicated players would love this system and use it daily. But I can't see mission leaders going through the tedium of assigning individual ranks to players on their mission.

You could theoretically make it a automated system where you have squad-based group spawning and players pick their roles until all in the squad have been filled. But I still fail to see how this would appreciably affect or improve gameplay. If anything the current ingame rank system is an excellent signalling mechanism to quickly see what caliber of player you are dealing with. Round circle? Probably a veteran you can rely on. Diagonal bars? That guy may need to some help.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, and certainly am open to being convinced. Has this really been an issue? Are players chomping at the bit to have a realistic distribution of ranks in-game?

Rank would be assigned by SYSTEM and not be a burden on the mission leader.