• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madrebel

Tracer color and visibility from distance

6 posts in this topic

@scotsman - i presume you have data on ww2 tracers, the different colors, and what combantants used. Any chance we can get different historically accurate coloration added at some point?

Also, we used to be able to see tracer fire in the air before we could see circles, somewhere around the 7-8km range. Any chance we can get that back? It helped the set and setting a lot IMO and also helped you setup in an adventageous position relative to the furball. The different spray patterns helped ID whos who well before red circle range too.

Edited by madrebel
Spelling

Allies used red.

Germany had a mix my favorite was the green-red  it would be green till i believe around 500m then it would go to red.

I have more info in several manuals see what i can find more for you.

At some point ive read in books by fighter pilots that only the last few would be tracer to let them know they where low also your tracer flying past an enemy would give you away so some pilots wouldnt use.

S!

Edited by flong139

Very complex analyses of everyone's tracer ordnance were done by a community member a number of years ago and published in these forums. I think I have that data stored...I'm away from home right now, but I'll try to find it when I'm back there Tuesday evening.

Would love to see it @jwilly. If it’s doable imo even small graphical changes like this go a long way towards freshening things up. Gives us more realism cred too.

Edited by madrebel

I think the early-game tracer complexity (and tracer ricochets, and visual explosion shockwaves...) were removed because it was decided that they loaded-down the minimum-machine CPU/GPU too much, resulting in stutters. Does all that code still exist?

I hope it does. We’re getting back that old bad [censored] blast wave animation aren’t we? That hopefully came from somewhere.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0