• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
BMBM

Starting Monday: The Hardest Campaign Yet

324 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, aismov said:

@minkythe issue is that a well placed 88 or two can shut down an attack by sheer weight of psychology. I know because I've done it multiple times. Tell me the last time that sappers were able to do the same?

K/D is not all of the story. There is a large psychological aspect to weapons as well.

Because players dont use it to its full advantage is our fault not that of the game design. Now if 88s were inordinately difficult to set up I would be in agreement, but it's honestly not that hard to tow and position a gun. And any fine adjustments you can push yourself.

Never once while playing Allied did I fear an 88.  I ran out with rifle and killed it.  

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

psycological warfare will only drive the game pop down.

you're underestimating the populations value for balance and fun. we don't get paid to simulate warfare, we sub to have a good time.

a balanced ToE and no BS gameplay are key to having fun. 14 matties vs 4 232's & 3 stugs , and auto disparity isn't a good time.

you guys worked hard on it, but you gotta own up to mistakes.

this is want i was rambling about in that other thread, anti-constructive attitude: refusing to see a problem

The problem will solve itself.

40 minutes ago, minky said:

Never once while playing Allied did I fear an 88.  I ran out with rifle and killed it.  

Well yeah .... it is an anti-tank gun..... so i think the point was tanks fear it not rifleman.  

1 hour ago, choad said:

Well yeah .... it is an anti-tank gun..... so i think the point was tanks fear it not rifleman.  

Yes the guy has 1 or 2 magical sorties in an 88 in 17 years and that justifies the status of a super weapon. Please. I’m more than happy to have even one person prove me wrong by using an 88 for a campaign to show me this giant K/D. Yet somehow I doubt anyone takes me up on it. 

4 hours ago, pattio said:

Love the new ToE btw.

For every verbose nay there's a concise aye.

We're hearing and appreciating your input. If you've been paying attention, this campaign is attempting to create a more historical less Hollywood WW2 atmosphere, which by default require players to consider and reconsider their playing styles to some degree. If you do not, there will likely be some tears. 

We err, and we fix. We do not however "fix" what was our intent - to diversify, to challenge, to amp the national character.

Yes the French have a few semis in tier 0. Don't waste them. Don't waste anything that is limited. When the US arrives, they bring a lot of semis that won't be matched by other countries. The Matilda shines for a while (but doesn't cap, as do the Tiger, and the Firefly/Achilles. Every nation has specific advantages and disadvantages - use them and work around them.

1 person likes this

Well I unsubbed.

And after being told to [censored] off on a FB group by a Crs member, i'm glad I did. 

Fantastic game. Enjoyed playing. Made some good friends. 

@Rebel357. Respect to my air nemesis. I hated being bombed by u. S!

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, rotsechs said:

Well I unsubbed.

And after being told to [censored] off on a FB group by a Crs member, i'm glad I did. 

Fantastic game. Enjoyed playing. Made some good friends. 

@Rebel357. Respect to my air nemesis. I hated being bombed by u. S!

I suggest screenshot and send to Xoom.

If you enjoy the game, why unsub?

Can't imagine any CRS telling you to eff off, please do provide tangible proof. 

You've been patient for years when basically nothing stirred at all, now you quit while we get the old hulk moving again? 

If you hate this new concept that is all of what, one week old, with a passion already, maybe give it a few more weeks to settle in? Chances are we're going to 1.36 pretty soon anyway.

1 person likes this

Calling the 88 a wonder weapon or an equalizer is a complete fantasy.  Once upon a time there were two players, Fafner and Fogaban. They were the guys whose names stirred fear in the hearts of Allied tankers.

BUT -----

The addition of berms along the sides of almost all roads, the introduction of more and better allied aircraft and then the final straw the change to the ammunition ( when the Tiger was introduced) oh yeah add in the dispersion factor( the first shot goes were its aimed then it takes 3 more to hit that spot again and the barrel bounces like a bouncy house at a kids party)

The 88 is nothing more than a giant toy for newbs to use in the ab and shoot at ea.

Changes continue to be made that do nothing but [censored] off the guys that are still here.

You gave the Allies a ton of equipment, there is no one online to use it.  So you didn't get them back and have only succeeded in driving the Axis guys away.

Pretty sure that was not what you wanted BUT thats what you got.  

1 person likes this

*** Well I unsubbed.

Ok, forgetting the comment made; what specific change caused this?

And what would you propose be changed back?

2 hours ago, hondo said:

So you didn't get them back and have only succeeded in driving the Axis guys away.

Pretty sure this part is a steamy pile of horseshat.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, choad said:

Pretty sure this part is a steamy pile of horseshat.

Every other post is saying that there are no allies online, the map is rolling the wrong way ( for the allies) extremely fast , but yeah. Population on both sides is just fine.  

3 hours ago, hondo said:

Calling the 88 a wonder weapon or an equalizer is a complete fantasy.

I called it "unparalleled", and it is. The Allies have nothing comparable until the M5 (piece of poo with clap gunsight and no rangefinder) and the 17 pdr arrives, none of which can be towed with any degree of success until we fix the colliders, weights and inertias that the old crew messed up for yearrrrrrs (yes, ongoing work). Can't imagine why you would trash the best gun in the game.

Sadly, there are a few vet players both Allied and Axis who seem to think that complaining on the forums and threatening to quit is the best way to improve the game or offer constructive criticism. New CRS is moving this project father forward than ever before, full stop. You all know it’s a war game and therefore you can always have it your way 24/7. Honestly, I wouldn’t be playing at all if it wasn’t FOR the new drive to develop WW2OL, I came back last year and I am glad I did. 

This isn’t to say that no one can stop playing or will have disagreements, as we all know, but I just really find this attitude of fix my problem or I unsub to be counterproductive for all of us if you still support the project. 

With respect S!  

Why is the dispersion so bad, once sighted in for range it should hit the target , maybe a bit low or higher but still hit the target.

What we have now is either a miss or a hit , if hit then the 2nd and or 3rd shot goes either over or falls short . And that's pretty much if every gun in game. 

If range is misjudged then yes but especially the units that have use of the range finder their shots should hit every single time.  No different then wild game hunting you know what your Rifle or Bow can do and how it is sighted in . That's why most hunters take range finders with them into the woods cause 1 shot is what most hunters get especially if you are a bow hunter .

1st shot needs to sit , so range , right pin and let arrow fly =dead wild game.

15 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Why is the dispersion so bad, once sighted in for range it should hit the target , maybe a bit low or higher but still hit the target.

What we have now is either a miss or a hit , if hit then the 2nd and or 3rd shot goes either over or falls short . And that's pretty much if every gun in game. 

If range is misjudged then yes but especially the units that have use of the range finder their shots should hit every single time.  No different then wild game hunting you know what your Rifle or Bow can do and how it is sighted in . That's why most hunters take range finders with them into the woods cause 1 shot is what most hunters get especially if you are a bow hunter .

1st shot needs to sit , so range , right pin and let arrow fly =dead wild game.

After the first shot it bounces all over the place. Then the actual gun itself begins to rock like a 232 with the wheels missing.   Trust me I am an 88 gunner from way back when. This is not even close to what it used to be.   That is why during most attacks or defenses they never leave the spawn list.

The noobs use em for aa practice

Edited by hondo
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, raptor34 said:

Sadly, there are a few vet players both Allied and Axis who seem to think that complaining on the forums and threatening to quit is the best way to improve the game or offer constructive criticism. New CRS is moving this project father forward than ever before, full stop. You all know it’s a war game and therefore you can always have it your way 24/7. Honestly, I wouldn’t be playing at all if it wasn’t FOR the new drive to develop WW2OL, I came back last year and I am glad I did. 

This isn’t to say that no one can stop playing or will have disagreements, as we all know, but I just really find this attitude of fix my problem or I unsub to be counterproductive for all of us if you still support the project. 

With respect S!  

Completely agree.

What I find most enlightening is that we have both Allied and Axis threatening to unsub pointing at different perceived imbalances in the T0 spawn pool as evidence that CRS is hopelessly in the tank for the opposite side.

Let the map play out guys and see how things go. FWIW I think the battles are fun and interesting. 

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, hondo said:

After the first shot it bounces all over the place. Then the actual gun itself begins to rock like a 232 with the wheels missing.   Trust me I am an 88 gunner from way back when. This is not even close to what it used to be.   That is why during most attacks or defenses they never leave the spawn list.

The noobs use em for aa practice

ATG's are my favourite weapon in game, the rocking that affects all of them is annoying as is the gun moving way off target after shooting. I'd love to hear from people that have used them in real life, did they constantly move after being fired?

You can’t fire a gun like that and expect to see the target lined up spot on afterwards. Recoil is real.

1 person likes this

I for one am loving the more historical challenge of fighting off smg with a rifle (admittedly far far easier with an Enfield than a mas) but it is doable. The ramboing spawn campers are annoying and unbearable. 

Bar the last bit, its why I'm here, the challenge, its not something I'd quit over. 

Edited by aleca

36 minutes ago, Bmbm said:

You can’t fire a gun like that and expect to see the target lined up spot on afterwards. Recoil is real.

I am not talking about recoil.  Show me were the gun bounces around for 5-10 seconds ,    it Does not.   

Edited by hondo

I've used the 88 extensively and while I agree the bounce is odd it can be eliminated by pausing half a second between shots. It's only when you try to land hit after hit that you cause the oscillation problem. Not saying it shouldn't be looked at, but it's not as big of a deal as it is being made out to be.

1 hour ago, hondo said:

I am not talking about recoil.  Show me were the gun bounces around for 5-10 seconds ,    it Does not.   

First if its properly deployed like any other gun its staked into position. If its not staked and is in a hasty firing position it will certainly jump hard with every shot at low angle on anything other than flat terrain. Staking is not done if its deployed quickly...only if there is time to settle it into a proper position, 

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/PDFs/TME9-369A_Germ88.pdf

page 26 but you will find the same description in the german manuals if you read German.  

In my experience an unstaked gun wont bounce for 10 seconds but it will definitely jump and may displace in any direction depending on shot angle. If you are firing high velocity/super charge the jump is worse yet...and that would be AP by definition.

16 hours ago, major0noob said:

psycological warfare will only drive the game pop down.

you're underestimating the populations value for balance and fun. we don't get paid to simulate warfare, we sub to have a good time.

a balanced ToE and no BS gameplay are key to having fun. 14 matties vs 4 232's & 3 stugs , and auto disparity isn't a good time.

you guys worked hard on it, but you gotta own up to mistakes.

this is want i was rambling about in that other thread, anti-constructive attitude: refusing to see a problem

And what if the math shows it has -no- bearing at all on the outcome?? Is it a mistake then, or is your opinion superior to normal statistical testing? Sorry - I don't buy that.  This thread has a great many opinions, and some are indirect conflict with each other. That's why I prefer the math... I' m not even going to try and sort out all the opinions. What I can do is tell you after the fact whether or not your opinion had any substance, or not.