• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
Bmbm

Starting Monday: The Hardest Campaign Yet

324 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, augetout said:

The French armored forces relied on flags to communicate, so I guess the question would be:  How would you like to incorporate that into a game where most tanks are not multi-crewed, and voicecoms cannot be regulated by the game?  I am all for historical accuracy, but just as French armored units did not have radios, German armored units did not have the ability to speak to every individual infantryman in their area.  How would you like to fix that problem, while fixing French armor coms?

There are virtually no axis armoured units, 3x stugs and 4x 232s, so CRS have solved the Axis comms problems of "tanks" talking to infantry. The 41 British infantry tanks will still have the problem going forward....

How are the numbers of AFVs in game units determined now? In T0, are the total numbers of AFVs in British and French infantry and armored units supposed to have the same aggregate production cost as the total numbers of AFVs in German infantry and armored units?

On 1/14/2019 at 0:17 PM, madrebel said:

STOP THIS! just f'n stop - reality down to through the microscope is NOT needed.

you giving up your GPS map for all units? or - do you require the globe be actual size or are you fine with a half size globe? how about one life only? get rid of binos for all but mission leaders? such a silly argument.

Ya, for ultimate simulation, we should have to sign up for the game, wait 18 years for our character to be born and enlisted, run through training for a specific unit type, then go out onto the battlefield, die once, end of game.

Oh, no hardcore lifepath sim?  Then game.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ian77 said:

It cant be history, the BEF had a total of 23 Matties. France bought a total of 60 DB7s, not all of which ever flew combat. So this is not history. We all know this is not history.

If this is really the CRS view of the future, then the game is done. Axis do not have a panzer with an MG in any inf flag. Axis inf flag has 3xstug Bs  and 4 x232s V the allied tank hordes. Thank god for the 2 axis pak 38s!    Brit inf flag has 12 Matties each.

I pray this is a mistake, yet again, with spawn lists. But if it is, how can CRS have possibly spent so much time on spawn list and screwed it up so badly yet again. "We removed tanks from infantry flags" and Brits have 41 to spawn!!

Words almost fail me.........................

Ian

It's seriously jacked, but I want to see the whole package before assuming the worst, and you shouldn't write anything off until we get a picture as to how they will populate TBS lists.

3 hours ago, ian77 said:

It cant be history, the BEF had a total of 23 Matties. France bought a total of 60 DB7s, not all of which ever flew combat. So this is not history. We all know this is not history.

In fairness, BMBM did tell us plainly in the prior thread on this same subject that spawn numbers were related to total production numbers, not just the number as of May 1940. And, certainly more were produced between May 1940 and the end of that year.

There might be a question as to how that math was done, though, since BMBM seemed to say that production for 1940-41 was about 3000, but historically production from late 1939 to August 1943 was 2987, and we know that production ramped up slowly in 1940-41. 

Also upwards of 1000 went to the Soviet Union, some went to Australia, and basically all of the rest went to North Africa, to 7 RTR and 4 RTR.

If France had not fallen and BEF had remained engaged, and other-conflict-zone history was unchanged, it's not at all clear where additional Matildas for the BEF would have come from. Possibly the Soviet Union and North Africa numbers could have been decreased. In any case it doesn't seem that "considerable numbers" could have been supplied to BEF in 1940, when production rates were low for all makers.

Edited by jwilly

21 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

It's seriously jacked, but I want to see the whole package before assuming the worst, and you shouldn't write anything off until we get a picture as to how they will populate TBS lists.

If three stugs and four 232s are all that face 41 brit tanks now, then I doubt there will be many axis players around for 1.36 TBS.

2 hours ago, kuronyra said:

Probably, in either case. Dre need to leave my dear French tank alone. My Nation already have few things as it is.

All depends, I can leave them alone in the forum , but in game if they cross my path if I get one of these rare Stugs then all bets are off. :)

27 minutes ago, ian77 said:

If three stugs and four 232s are all that face 41 brit tanks now, then I doubt there will be many axis players around for 1.36 TBS.

You're not counting the panzers in the armored brigades. Lots of PzII, a fair number of Pz38(t) and PzIII-F, a handful of PzIVD and Stug3B. The Brits have lots of cheap, wafer A13s and lots of Vickers, plus a small handful of Matildas in the armored brigades. Their infantry brigades have a basket of Matildas with no other armor to support them. Remember that this is all balanced against an equal budget with quality tanks costing more, and with taking country-specific doctrines into account.

The Axis have the unparalleled Flak36, a few pak38 and Stukas (and a few 110 f/b) with the most powerful bomb in gamel. No, the Germans can't afford head to head armor slugfests - they have to use combined arms to overcome the heavy tank deficit until more powerful stuff comes along, and the pendulum swings again.

And again, we're going by raw factory production with no regard to where the tanks actually went IRL. If we did, 90% of all German armor would be romping around in Russia, not in France.

3 people like this

41 minutes ago, ian77 said:

Y tried R35s vs Stug B (or anything) lately? 
Yr amount of autos and those 3 stugs are killin all our french units.
Will take a while for this to settle, but hope it will sort itself out in the end.

5 stars from me so far after two days; this is the kind of action I've dreamed of for so many years.

Thank you bmbm S! 

17 minutes ago, Bmbm said:

we're going by raw factory production with no regard to where the tanks actually went IRL. If we did, 90% of all German armor would be romping around in Russia, not in France.

That's incorrect for T0.

All German production went to France...historically, until that fighting ended.

Part of British 1940 production went to France...the rest went to North Africa.

So the correct spin is opposite to what you said.

49 minutes ago, Bmbm said:

And again, we're going by raw factory production with no regard to where the tanks actually went IRL. If we did, 90% of all German armor would be romping around in Russia, not in France.

What period is T0 supposed to be covering? 

3 minutes ago, bogol said:

What period is T0 supposed to be covering? 

roughly what was available at the april 1940 mark, to december 31st 1940

Axis seem to be doing just fine in the first 20 hours.  

I was talking to a former officer and player last night about these new changes to the supply lists.  His exact words:

"If the Allies don't absolutely curbstomp the Axis in T0, then there's something very, very wrong with the Allies right now."

9 minutes ago, Capco said:

Axis seem to be doing just fine in the first 20 hours.  

I was talking to a former officer and player last night about these new changes to the supply lists.  His exact words:

"If the Allies don't absolutely curbstomp the Axis in T0, then there's something very, very wrong with the Allies right now."

So, are you saying that there is something "very, very wrong with the Allies right now?" :P

1 person likes this

Just now, bogol said:

So, are you saying that there is something "very, very wrong with the Allies right now?" :P

That's exactly what I'm saying.  

I don't think the Allies have won a campaign without Axis players coming to play Allied in over a year.  

allies have been [censored] at marking and jumping between battles for as long as I've played both sides

as BS as the armour balance is, i think the only reason allies aern't rolling is:

the tanker pop is still low. with only 2-3 tanks spawning supply doesn't really matter, especially while facing 10 sappers.

2 minutes ago, major0noob said:

allies have been [censored] at marking and jumping between battles for as long as I've played both sides

as BS as the armour balance is, i think the only reason allies aern't rolling is:

the tanker pop is still low. with only 2-3 tanks spawning supply doesn't really matter, especially while facing 10 sappers.

From 2011 (when I first joined HC) to about 2016, the Allies were generally superior at executing the "fast swap" concept.  We could keep the Axis on their toes while underpop at times because we were so good at it.  

Marking has always been kinda bad though, I agree.  

4 hours ago, Capco said:

That's exactly what I'm saying.  

I don't think the Allies have won a campaign without Axis players coming to play Allied in over a year.  

Look at Discord in the morning US Time.  TZ 1.  There is one organized squad completely unopposed.  The game now is such that where that one squad goes the campaign goes with it for the most part.

7 hours ago, jwilly said:

How are the numbers of AFVs in game units determined now? In T0, are the total numbers of AFVs in British and French infantry and armored units supposed to have the same aggregate production cost as the total numbers of AFVs in German infantry and armored units?

I'm guessing they are using total production numbers for 1940.  For example 24 Matildas were produced in 1939.  23 were available for the BOF.  The year of 1940 saw another 356 produced.  If they wanted real fidelity they would do half tiers and the mass introduction of Matilda MK IIs would come at the end of 1940 along with the introduction of Pak 38s.  Realism on such things has never been CRS's strong suit though.  

Realism clearly goes out the window when CRS bases TOEs partly on total annual production, ignoring anyplace else some of those weapons historically had to go.

Old-CRS had a consistent concept for how to deal with pre-game and simultaneous-to-game-in-other-conflict-zones history, They seemed to be able to stick to that concept even as they negotiated the difficult customer-relations terrain of partisans from each side complaining that their side's being nerfed, because that historical basis by and large made sense to the players.

Some of us wondered how CRS would be able to sell TOEs based on equal total production cost without a consistent explanation of either the relevant history or how the resulting TOEs would result in balanced gameplay, and the answer so far seems to be that it's a problem.

2 people like this

*** Their infantry brigades have a basket of Matildas with no other armor to support them

That is not what I saw.

I saw 6 matties in 1 brit INF flag and 29 more smaller tanks; for a total of 35.  Verses axis 3 StugB and 4 232.

Edited by delems

2 minutes ago, delems said:

*** Their infantry brigades have a basket of Matildas with no other armor to support them

That is not what I saw.

I saw 6 matties in 1 brit INF flag and 29 more smaller tanks; for a total of 35.  Verses axis 3 StugB and 4 232.

Yes the balance has been "fixed" by removing 6 of the CS matties from each Inf flag. Of course, there are now 14 Matties in an Armoured Flag.......

Axis still have just a handful of AFVs in an inf flag, and guys asking "how do you fire the gun on the stug?"