gt3076r

Firefly undisputed best tank in game

21 posts in this topic

Great mobility, good armor, extremely powerful gun with high velocity and minimal dispersion, 60 rounds of AT ammo, incredible magnification. See something, hit it at just about any range and it dies. Easily placing the Tiger into the #2 slot. Oddly enough, plays as you'd expect the Panther would.

1v1 yes, you need AT guns and Infantry to cover with smoke

Edited by knucks

As it was in real life. That's why German gun crews were quickly instructed to target fireflies first. Ever wonder why the firefly has the funny white squiggly on the barrel? It was to make the Firefly look like a regular short barrel Sherman to the enemy.

Too bad the Kitten is not 1 shot to stop most enemy armour to about 2300m as it should be.

As it stands it's rather a pantomime PZ as most are...

Will the Kitten get sorted to function properly, brilliant optics, devastating gun, good armour etc that sort of thing...

Cheers Monty

1 person likes this

eh, i'd give it a #2 position with the new HE, it can't clear a CP from 1km away

just wait till the pop's trust in HE is restored, there's a whole new play style available that only few are aware of

26 minutes ago, montyuno said:

Too bad the Kitten is not 1 shot to stop most enemy armour to about 2300m as it should be.

As it stands it's rather a pantomime PZ as most are...

Will the Kitten get sorted to function properly, brilliant optics, devastating gun, good armour etc that sort of thing...

Cheers Monty

It’s not that the Tiger isn’t deadly - it is - and the gun is comparable to the 17lbr in terms of damage. Honestly, if the game featured optional load outs it would be a tougher call. As it stands tiger has 50% load out of near useless ammo. It also has much better armor and a rangefinder. It really comes down to that ammo factor and the lack of zoom on the gunsight which gives the firefly the edge 

19 minutes ago, major0noob said:

eh, i'd give it a #2 position with the new HE, it can't clear a CP from 1km away

just wait till the pop's trust in HE is restored, there's a whole new play style available that only few are aware of

Is that something in the works or being tested? And, will it be actual testing? Last HE update took the better part of a year and ended up making things worse 

Go pop HE on infantry now and see.
Dont do it at 1km, as the infantry wont be in your vizlist, do it at 700m and they will be

13 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Go pop HE on infantry now and see.
Dont do it at 1km, as the infantry wont be in your vizlist, do it at 700m and they will be

Did plenty of it today with Firefly HE (somewhat respectable) and the Churchill 7 CS. Definitely not impressed 

39 minutes ago, gt3076r said:

Is that something in the works or being tested? And, will it be actual testing? Last HE update took the better part of a year and ended up making things worse 

it's in now, nades can clear the CP's top floor, (good) HE does as well

17lbr HE is renown for bad HE historically, it'll be even worse in game

as for the church 7 CS, you may need to restart. i was able to clear gunpits and FMS's with inf hiding in the edges

the HE impact needs to be angled correctly, gotta remember the environment is made of adamantium, and the majority fragments bloom upwards and to the upper sides. hitting ground level will not be as effective as hitting the ceiling or wall

it's a whole new play style

Edited by major0noob

26 minutes ago, major0noob said:

the HE impact needs to be angled correctly, gotta remember the environment is made of adamantium, and the majority fragments bloom upwards and to the upper sides. hitting ground level will not be as effective as hitting the ceiling or wall

good advice
remember things can not presently penetrate terrain objects
so shoot with that in mind to optimize your frags

I found the firefly to be an excellent tank due to its firepower. I actually got a 1.4k off angle kill on a tiger. 

I think it's the best well rounded tank in the game.. but the tiger still holds the top slot IMHO.  It was intermission so tbh that's not an acid test. I still lost my firefly to tigers at 2k. Gorblimey did get a frontal kill he reported at 2k. The best I managed was in the Achilles at 1.6k frontally. 

The biggest draw back I found was shooting tigers below 6-700m. I could at times see my round hit them and the go though them impacting the ground behind them. Was taking me 8 or 9 extra shots to finish them off. I could not flame or explode them, I had to get gunner kills. This was consistent. Around 800 off angle hits would result in a flame or explosion. 1k frontal hit usually took 2-3, but sometimes .  The safe range was about 1200-1400m for a desired one hit kill.

now I will say the HE on it rocks. At 2k duals I used HE because I could track the tigers if the guy did not land a solid hit on me first. I also lost a dual with a stugG at 1.8-2k. I landed several good hits and took a few myself, till I lost my gunner. There is a bit of quality with better armor.

until the 17pdr ammo gets corrected.. which when it does, then I think quite possibly might take top seat till the panther arrives. The ammo will slightly penetrate the L70 past 2.2k which with the low ap ammo count really stretches the practical distance to get a hit. I was 1:4 hits at about 1.5k or so.

The thing is the Zoom possible with the firefly that is absolutly incredible. I'm pretty sur my own kitty doesn't have THAT magnification. Something that quite shock me.

Overall, it play like I would expect a freaking Panther to do it. And I ain't gonna lie. That's hot.

By the way, what will be his nickname in-game now?
Ffly?
Firefly?
Longgun?
17pdr Sher?
British Sherman?
Teaman?

Edited by kuronyra

It doesn't

optics used on the tiger were 2.5 magnification with a 25 degree field of view

Firefly has No.43 x 3 Ml Mk III/I  with only 13 degree FOV and on the sherman firefly they came with a 6 magnification eyepiece

Now the panther could use a 5 power eyepiece, but lacked the FOV of the tiger at only 14 degrees

Edited by Merlin51

Those sights  need moving to the 17lber atg , just to keep it historical.

Yeah, tiger mag is weak, have to rely on exposing #2 for his good optics and rangefinder. 

Also should note the actual Sherman model of the firefly looks very good compared to most vehicle models in game

Countless hits from axi Hvy guns w/HE resulted is zero damage to enemy armour, no tracking nothing... They just got board and drove away...

Thats great!!!!

Cheers Monty

3 hours ago, gt3076r said:

Also should note the actual Sherman model of the firefly looks very good compared to most vehicle models in game

A bit of work went into it :) xl2rippr helped out with the normal maps to get the "orange peel" effect. Wish I could spend some more time on fleshing out the vpit!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, montyuno said:

Countless hits from axi Hvy guns w/HE resulted is zero damage to enemy armour, no tracking nothing... They just got board and drove away...

Thats great!!!!

Cheers Monty

Well the Tiger Gun and Tread still needs to be looked at by CRS , there is no way the Tiger shed it's tread like it does in game , have you seen the Track , it's extra wide cause it needed to be due to the weight of the Tiger. 

15 hours ago, gt3076r said:

Yeah, tiger mag is weak, have to rely on exposing #2 for his good optics and rangefinder. 

I second that, it is extremely well done.