• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
ZEBBEEE

Giving more value to the riflman: open brainstorming

140 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, scotsman said:

after that ? 

Monetization. There should be no competitors to that. Job One.

Business coding, and object development where particular classes are too shallow to support the monetization plan.

I have to agree. We have had a ton of units and with new terrain coming in 1.36 I think it's worthwhile to look at coding monetization stuff like camo/decals/noseart/squad-owned buildings in capital cities.

There is a gold mine in there. I would for one line up to be able to trick out my Stuka with a shark's mouth.

With the dozens upon dozens of units in this game imagine what you could do by selling say nose art per-unit at say $5 per pop. Jack it up to say $20 if you want it to be fully custom (though I'm not sure how many of these you could have since the game would need massive memory to load all those custom decals).

You could take it one step farther and have the same custom decal but make it available to premium subscribers only while F2P can just buy the CRS pre-made ones.

I have dozens of these monetization scheme ideas. Will work on posting them in the game idea forum.

1 person likes this

In the mean time, seriously, where is the crs amazon affiliate link? That’s free money and i buy a ton off amazon - i’m Sure i’m Not alone.

I think too, that adding the bayonet would be good. Also would be practical adding of possibility to strike by rifle butt. Moreover i will remind also about the shovel, which riflemen could too use as a weapon.

Beside possibility use something other than rifle as a weapon, i mean also some additional activity on battlefield and around it. This may be an opportunity to help push a truck out of the mud (especially on rough terrain). Or a possibility to carry the wounded soldier to ambulance truck or to RTB building (wounded soldier or officer might be STO). Maybe some sort of help to engineer to make a defensive object (i mean, if they make it together, then more speedly). 
Here fits also such FMS, where soldiers can lie and wait others, to go together on attack.

If that would be technically possible, then on second floor of depots might be bottles of "Molotov cocktail", which soldiers can pick up and throw through the window onto the enemy's annoying armor. One "cocktail" might not work, but several..

Also soldier might take one "cocktail" with him, and use it on the street (but he can't change his weapon without losing "cocktail"). 

Of course, much of this would be also available to other soldiers, not just riflemen. imho. 

I don't have much to add except that one of my favourite moments of the game came while playing as a rifle.

rjPYg50.png

A 109 was chasing down one of our flyboys, while another was chasing it. I took a pot shot with my rifle, and it lawn-darted into the next field.

The way I see it the biggest problem with the rifle is that its 100% unviable in close ranges so what I'd do is buff the rifle a bit.

The idea I have for a buff are 2 somewhat minor choices.

1. Increase the bolting speed.  Playing/watching other ww2 games, the rifles can rechamber their rounds much faster than they can in this game.  Increasing the bolting speed lessens the biggest drawback of the rifle which is the fact that it's a single shot weapon.

This is the biggest buff i can think of for the weapon and I dont think it could be that hard to implement (albeit I'm no animator).

Looking at rising storm 2, you can and will meet many people using the mosin (and doing well) despite the fact that they are facing M16s. Reason being is that the Mosin is not 100% handicapped in even close quarters since it bolts fairly quick allowing for quick follow up shots.

2. Allow partial ads while bolting.  Basically you shouldn't lose full sight picture  while bolting.  This would allow you to reacquire your target after a missed shot easier.  Think of it being similar to how it looks in post scriptum or red orchestra.

Not as big of an impact as the first change imo but would still be a helpful buff.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, delems said:

I'm all for allowing the FPA account to access the early aircraft, light AA, light tank, light ATG and FMB.

Not sure it makes sense money wise; but it does make sense game wise.

I can then include all the FPA players on our squad ops, if we go AA, they can use Flak 30, if we go ATG, they can take pak 36, we tank IIC, etc.

Right now hard to include FPA on squad operations.

I think the rifle/truck combo is very worthy, but not sure most new players know that, or how to use it.

Not to stray too far off topic but this is very important. Not only does the rifle/truck not allow free players checking out the game to “window shop” different units and gameplay they may find interesting - or sub-worthy - but it also limits the free players to only engaging in the infantry game which, let’s be honest, is severely lacking in many departments compared to other titles. It just forces what likely is a bad impression on the whole package. 

38 minutes ago, fufubear1f said:

The way I see it the biggest problem with the rifle is that its 100% unviable in close ranges so what I'd do is buff the rifle a bit.

The idea I have for a buff are 2 somewhat minor choices.

1. Increase the bolting speed.  Playing/watching other ww2 games, the rifles can rechamber their rounds much faster than they can in this game.  Increasing the bolting speed lessens the biggest drawback of the rifle which is the fact that it's a single shot weapon.

This is the biggest buff i can think of for the weapon and I dont think it could be that hard to implement (albeit I'm no animator).

Looking at rising storm 2, you can and will meet many people using the mosin (and doing well) despite the fact that they are facing M16s. Reason being is that the Mosin is not 100% handicapped in even close quarters since it bolts fairly quick allowing for quick follow up shots.

2. Allow partial ads while bolting.  Basically you shouldn't lose full sight picture  while bolting.  This would allow you to reacquire your target after a missed shot easier.  Think of it being similar to how it looks in post scriptum or red orchestra.

Not as big of an impact as the first change imo but would still be a helpful buff.

Uhm - I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (an Izzy receiver stamped 1938) - thats in really great shape still ... there is NOTHING about the mosin action that is 'fast'. Of all the ww2 bolts I've shot, the Mosin is the absolute worst of them. By a mile! Granted, I've not shot the Arisaka nor the Carcano/Manlicher rifles but the Mauser, Enfield, and Springfield actions are all better than the Mosin. Enfield being super easy to cycle.

Apart from that I agree with you. The rifle over the course of this game's history has been 'adjusted'. Sway, slew while moving around, Cone of fire for hip fire, etc. The slew while moving side to side feels the worst. While 'realistic' it doesn't translate to games well IMO. The cone of fire for hip fire i'm also not a fan of. This is a forced game mechanic that doesn't account for real world ability. I'd wager anyone in these forums can hip fire and hit a human sized target within 30 feet about 80% of the time. Again, games don't translate how accurate your mental sight picture is when holding a long rifle with both hands. You can be really quite accurate.

On this note, might i suggest an alternative? Instead of 'hip fire' bring back the old ready fire we had way back in the day. This old method had the rifle raised and braced against the shoulder but NOT aimed down the sights. Gave much better wide angle views and should still be VERY accurate out to about 50 feet-ish. This forced iron sight aim thing to avoid cone of fire doesn't feel right in any weapon we have but really limits the rifle the most as it doesn't have a quick follow on ability. Do that and remove the slew and you'll have a better rifle experience IMO.

Edited by madrebel
1 person likes this

I am reading and at some point I will compile the main ideas into a poll. Please continue the brainstorming!

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, fufubear1f said:

Not true, I bet I get over half my kills in close quarters in towns with my Enfield. 

IMHO, add bayonets. Been asking for this for ~15 years.

Took the Post Scriptum team a couple of months to add this in response to player demand.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736220/announcements/detail/1721965507351932601

But anyway, I think rifle gameplay is just fine. I've played rifleman 99.9% of my spawns since 2001/02, and I have no complaints or requests for improvement of the actual weapon itself (that is, bolt-action rifle) other than the much-anticipated, long-delayed dispersion audit.

I guess if I had to think of things I'd like to see added to the rifle in a perfect world;

- Cycle bolt while still ADS (aim-down-sights).

- Detachable Bayonet (just add it as another selectable weapon; no need for bayonet addition/removal animation; only need an animation for thrusting it forward).

- Maybe *slightly* faster RoF.

- More historically accurate dispersion (so that not every rifleman is a 1337 sniper-d00d).

- No bent-knee infantry as default stance; this is physiologically implausible and looks utterly ridiculous (like every inf is MC Hammer). Infantry should be standing when they're standing. Simple. Remove the awful default stance once and for all.

- Faster crouch run.

- Actual first-person feedback when in crouch run; currently, FOV does NOT move down when you're crouch running, so the player thinks his head is at the same height as standing (even though it's not).

- FOV > 90. I'm sorry, but 90 FOV is *NOT* acceptable anymore. Not to keep harping on Post Scriptum, but in that game you can adjust FOV to over 100. Larger FOV values are more realistic. Find a happy compromise between larger FOV and warped periphery (100 FOV usually works).

Edited by xanthus

1 hour ago, madrebel said:

Uhm - I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (an Izzy receiver stamped 1938) - thats in really great shape still ... there is NOTHING about the mosin action that is 'fast'. Of all the ww2 bolts I've shot, the Mosin is the absolute worst of them. By a mile! Granted, I've not shot the Arisaka nor the Carcano/Manlicher rifles but the Mauser, Enfield, and Springfield actions are all better than the Mosin. Enfield being super easy to cycle.

Apart from that I agree with you. The rifle over the course of this game's history has been 'adjusted'. Sway, slew while moving around, Cone of fire for hip fire, etc. The slew while moving side to side feels the worst. While 'realistic' it doesn't translate to games well IMO. The cone of fire for hip fire i'm also not a fan of. This is a forced game mechanic that doesn't account for real world ability. I'd wager anyone in these forums can hip fire and hit a human sized target within 30 feet about 80% of the time. Again, games don't translate how accurate your mental sight picture is when holding a long rifle with both hands. You can be really quite accurate.

On this note, might i suggest an alternative? Instead of 'hip fire' bring back the old ready fire we had way back in the day. This old method had the rifle raised and braced against the shoulder but NOT aimed down the sights. Gave much better wide angle views and should still be VERY accurate out to about 50 feet-ish. This forced iron sight aim thing to avoid cone of fire doesn't feel right in any weapon we have but really limits the rifle the most as it doesn't have a quick follow on ability. Do that and remove the slew and you'll have a better rifle experience IMO.

Have 2x Mosin as well and compared to the Enfield or K98 it's an utter POS. Cycling the bolt is the exact opposite of fast (assuming you get lucky and it doesn't get stuck).

But I agree with some of the changes:

1) increase FOV

2) zoomed out sight view as option

3) cycle bolt while looking down sights (I do this all the time with holy actions)

4) bayonet

5) slightly decrease side to side sway 

6) possibly slightly increased rof

7) lower bush height to make tanks vulnerable at range and increase low ground cover for infantry 

1 person likes this

I've been f2p for a looong time now and I still adore being rifle as it is. I might appreciate a bayonet, but beyond that I'm happy with it.
It just depends on the individual. I can see it might encourage new players if you tease them with more. But I don't think freeing up too much is the answer.
There's plenty of capability with the rifle. Maybe just stop demanding we storm into a CP full of rambo axis... I've cleared a CP from OUTSIDE using nades and window shots several times. Running in won't do much good against Shagher. (seriously... stop asking me to run in).
We can freak tanks out just by speaking near them. Make them move. It's a surprisingly powerful tool to a jumpy tanker.
I'll admit it's not great in town close (see CP comment above) but I've managed to take down lmgs coming at me unexpected. Even a rambo can't do much with an unaimed rifle shot in the right place. 
We have a satch.  - I'm never opposed to doing satchel runs on a efms if nobody else will or can come with an Engineer. 
It's FUN. It's infantry. It's a satisfying position. Maybe I've been doing it too long. 
The most I'll do between campaigns is possibly use the auto rifle or some AA. 
And yes - I am finally going to sub once I'm settled back in Taiwan this year. But only so I can join a squad and do some flying. 
There is the point of solo rifles and I am often one of those. I like to be in a useful position, but it would be beneficial to introduce some teamwork incentives for newcomers.
Chatting to other players encourages continued gameplay. I was SO well looked after when I first joined, but can't remember the player's name.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, aismov said:

Hate to say it Knucks since you actually have good ideas. But you would be more effective in communicating your points if you cut out all the snide remarks which insinuate that other members don't know what they are taking about. You turn off a lot if ppl by the way you post. Just saying.

S!

It's warranted 70% of what is left of this community at least the one that expresses on the forum... are really backward like they came straight out of Plato's Cave.

They simply do not know the true reality of this game and the gaming market.