• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
mingus

64 bit and you soldier!

111 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, xanthus said:

Vis distance is tied to frame rate. Of course...?

Not so. CRS historically had a coding team for the client, and a coding team for the server and network. The game's interaction radius was determined by the server coding team (for the middle years, led by KFS1) in conjunction with management. The vis distance for the longest-visibility units, such as medium altitude aircraft, historically has been equal to the interaction radius.

Interaction list is tied to GPU insofar as the objects with which you're interacting are actually represented as rendered polygons and textures.

The interaction list for a given client is the list of units within the horizontal interaction radius, determined for that client and provided to that client via the packet stream; then processed by the client per the prioritization rules. 

Edited by jwilly

On 2/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, aismov said:

Wait, you mean my plumber doesn't know how to change the coils and adjust the valve timing on my car???

The travesty!!!

The priority is to fix the car!   Absolute priority, get that plumber in there!  Cars have pipes, right?

What could go wrong?

4 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

Cars have pipes, right?

What could go wrong?

Applies soldiering torch to leaking fuel rail to reseal the connection
Never gets to apply the solder....

21 hours ago, jwilly said:

Not so. CRS historically had a coding team for the client, and a coding team for the server and network. The game's interaction radius was determined by the server coding team (for the middle years, led by KFS1) in conjunction with management. The vis distance for the longest-visibility units, such as medium altitude aircraft, historically has been equal to the interaction radius.

The interaction list for a given client is the list of units within the horizontal interaction radius, determined for that client and provided to that client via the packet stream; then processed by the client per the prioritization rules. 

I said "vis distance," as in the visible distance rendered by your GPU.

All else being equal, larger vis distance => more rendered polys => lower frame rate. I don't see how anything you said changes that.

Like I said on the last page, if the interaction list is invisible (that is, none of it is actually being represented by any polygons rendered on your screen), then I can absolutely accept that this has nothing whatsoever to do with GPU.

Edited by xanthus

I dont think I have ever seen so many rat replies ever in my whole life..... This thread is amazing! lol

Yup really happy about 64 bit. No multithreaded CPU... boy that would be nice. And offloading as much stuff onto the GPU.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, OLDZEKE said:

32bit vrs 64bit..... Most basic terms, 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system. 

Reread the thread, and I gotta clarify on this characterization.

32-bit vs. 64-bit deals in both memory and actions.

Memory addressing is greatly increased, which translates to being able to load bigger programs and/or handle larger/better graphics, what most people are concerned with in the context of this game.

But you also get a redo on the OS level commands since they can literally be bigger and you don't hit so many internal limits.

64-bit doesn't guarantee you efficiency, it is potentially more efficient in terms of these internal OS functions and SHOULD be from major vendors that invest a billion or more in their development. 

Now there is 64-bit client work, I'm wondering if this project is also addressing the Linux clusters backend.  A lot of the weirdness in the game IMO is due to backend limitations.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, SNIPER62 said:

Where do these BS rumors come from? Do people just make things up and then toss them at the side channel and hope people think that's the truth and then they go run with it or what?

yes. every single one.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, Kilemall said:

Now there is 64-bit client work, I'm wondering if this project is also addressing the Linux clusters backend.  A lot of the weirdness in the game IMO is due to backend limitations.

Anybody? It's a good question ...

<S>