knucks

Aim down Sights fix (ADS)

21 posts in this topic

Currently, when ADS you are forced to be zoomed in like a scoped rifle, Instead, your sight picture should start normally, with little zoom, and using a secondary key binding you zoom in as a "focus"
Here's what a normal sight picture looks like

1af0af49702f1c1a3f268a78cc716560.jpg
https://gyazo.com/1af0af49702f1c1a3f268a78cc716560 

This should be the default, for every time you ADS.
Now here's the zoomed in or "focused" sight picture

78246ff8ba22dcfb4531f4e7c56e9046.jpg
https://gyazo.com/78246ff8ba22dcfb4531f4e7c56e9046

Notice the massive difference in FOV and scale of objects. Very much like a scoped rifle.
Currently the problem is that the normal sight picture is only available when prone. This makes drop-shotting neccessary in close range encounters where a non-zoomed sight picture is best.
As for suggestion, the first picture should be the default ADS. The second picture should be a focus, and infact I think that that zoom is wayy to excessive. You're doubling, maybe even trippling the sight zoom on a standard rifle, when the difference should be at max 10-15% of zoom.

Edited by knucks

As you can see the focused view from PS's ADS is much less zoomed in, not only that but the zoomed in view is activated at a button press (shift) and going prone is not required for a standard sight picture.
I consider this in category of a bug/suggestion. Both sight pictures should be achievable regularly, and not require you to drop prone for.

Agree. Would give the rifle a little help in urban combat. Have a button you can key map to whatever your preference is.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, aismov said:

Agree. Would give the rifle a little help in urban combat. Have a button you can key map to whatever your preference is.

Until then drop shotting like it's good ol Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is viable enough.

Edited by knucks

We have this on the list, however it requires an animation artist that is currently in short supply.

22 hours ago, knucks said:

You're doubling, maybe even trippling the sight zoom on a standard rifle, when the difference should be at max 10-15% of zoom.

you're incorrect here, the 'zoomed' view is supposed to be 1:1 - aka what your eye can actually see. the problem is the human eye can auto focus instantly where as a 3d simulated world with simulated eye can't focus at all. its a problem inherent to all video games.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, madrebel said:

you're incorrect here, the 'zoomed' view is supposed to be 1:1 - aka what your eye can actually see. the problem is the human eye can auto focus instantly where as a 3d simulated world with simulated eye can't focus at all. its a problem inherent to all video games.

Yeah, I know. Other developers know this, that's what the focused view is for, because you have to account the distance from your face to the screen when using a sight.
It's still a lot more zoom than most games consider normal, as you can see through the difference in the screenshots.

5 hours ago, BLKHWK8 said:

We have this on the list, however it requires an animation artist that is currently in short supply.

Thanks, maybe people will stop complaining about LMG when they can properly use their rifle's in close range (without going prone)

13 minutes ago, knucks said:

Yeah, I know. Other developers know this, that's what the focused view is for, because you have to account the distance from your face to the screen when using a sight.
It's still a lot more zoom than most games consider normal, as you can see through the difference in the screenshots.

Thanks, maybe people will stop complaining about LMG when they can properly use their rifle's in close range (without going prone)

Personally I prefer the WWIIOL view. One of my favorite FPS games (SWAT4) had a similar system which I prefer. Since engagement ranges in WWIIOL are substantially longer than any other FPS we really need that zoomed in view. Its not uncommon for me to engage EI that are no higher than the front sight. And many players here can reliably hit targets at 300m with iron sights which would be pretty impossible without the zoomed in view. But I also think we should have a system that fives you the option like you said and it would help in urban combat.

1 person likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, knucks said:

1af0af49702f1c1a3f268a78cc716560.jpg

This is one of the coolest visual shots I have seen of the game in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this

You could still zoom in by pressing MAJ key for instance

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, XOOM said:

This is one of the coolest visual shots I have seen of the game in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

I usually play with the HUD off. The UI elements are very distracting. You'd be surprised how much more immersive and better looking the game is without all the clutter. The chat is the worse offender, there's just no good place to put it. It's a massive eyesore, wayy more immersive without it. Since that was taken I've turned off the player tags and that's made a huge difference in larger battles where half the screen gets covered by blue letters. I recommend everyone try it, unless you're a fly-guy you'll be at somewhat a disadvantage without the circles, but everything else you can work around, and it isn't much different from say RO2 without HUD.

Edited by knucks

9 hours ago, aismov said:

Personally I prefer the WWIIOL view. One of my favorite FPS games (SWAT4) had a similar system which I prefer. Since engagement ranges in WWIIOL are substantially longer than any other FPS we really need that zoomed in view. 

It's just a bit too zoomed in for my taste. Aspect wise the two games in the SC are pretty similar, but the zoom for PR is just a tad more subtle which I like. The wwiiol zoom feels too claustrophobic for me to use comfortably. Just a few too many degrees of zoom that makes it look overly-zoomed compared to other titles and it actually gives me a bit of an ache,, fine for a console on a TV that your sitting some feet away from,  but for a PC monitor, 90 FOV is the sweet spot and anything under 70 or so is nausiating to use.

Edited by knucks

I believe the site focus (zoom as you call it) is one of the best things WWIIOnline does.  Having fired thousands upon thousands of rounds with an M16 (a1 and a2 for those of you scoring at home), it is my favorite weapon I've ever fired.  COD Modern Warfare is probably my favorite console game of all time----and yet, I absolutely hate the sight picture you get when using an M16 in that game---so much so that despite it being my favorite weapon of all time, I don't use it unless forced to, and when forced to I get rid of it at my earliest opportunity.

S!

Correct me if I'm wrong, the issue is not that the site picture goes to close to rifle and a bit closer 'zoom' as the WWIIOL shooter aims, but the mechanic of the rifle moving closer on the screen while everything zooms in more, right?

11 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, the issue is not that the site picture goes to close to rifle and a bit closer 'zoom' as the WWIIOL shooter aims, but the mechanic of the rifle moving closer on the screen while everything zooms in more, right?

The problem is that you're forced to zoom in every time you aim down sights. Both sight pictures are good for what they're meant for, zoomed for ranged shots and non zoomed for CQB. The non zoom is important because it's not the sight picture itself but the FOV decrease when you aim down sights, which is  hinders your ability to use the rifle at close range.  Zoom should be optional standing AND prone, or you're only using the rifle sights at half it's capability. Arguably the zoom is too much and looks a bit cartoon-y, but that's a separate issue.

Edited by knucks

also - why can't I back pedal and keep my ADS view?

I can take a step forward, left or right, but that step backwards whoa man ... that's a doozy ... need to lower my rifle for that one ...

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 people like this

On January 29, 2019 at 4:48 AM, knucks said:

The problem is that you're forced to zoom in every time you aim down sights. Both sight pictures are good for what they're meant for, zoomed for ranged shots and non zoomed for CQB. The non zoom is important because it's not the sight picture itself but the FOV decrease when you aim down sights, which is  hinders your ability to use the rifle at close range.  Zoom should be optional standing AND prone, or you're only using the rifle sights at half it's capability. Arguably the zoom is too much and looks a bit cartoon-y, but that's a separate issue.

Yup completely agree. Like you said have both options, let players determine what they prefer in the keymapper (perhaps make a zoomed out ADS as default to be more in line with other FPS games) and then have a simple key binding that lets you do regular ADS and zoomed in ADS.

@madrebellol yea good point on that one.

1 person likes this

I always liked the way Arma does ADS. 

A right click to initially toggle ADS, and then hold down right click after that to zoom in further.  

3 people like this

16 hours ago, madrebel said:

also - why can't I back pedal and keep my ADS view?

I can take a step forward, left or right, but that step backwards whoa man ... that's a doozy ... need to lower my rifle for that one ...

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I completely forgot about this one, a major +1 here

1 hour ago, Capco said:

I always liked the way Arma does ADS. 

A right click to initially toggle ADS, and then hold down right click after that to zoom in further.  

Great idea. 100% support this. Less clunky than different key brindings for zoomed and not zoomed view.

Could we maybe get an @XOOMcomment on the feasibility of doing this for 1.36? Think it would help the rifle game a lot.

2 people like this