• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
XOOM

[NEW PROGRAM] Squads wanted in High Command

11 posts in this topic

You gonna code the squad liaison function?

4 hours ago, Kilemall said:

You gonna code the squad liaison function?

Maybe I need more coffee, but I'm not sure what you mean?

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

Maybe I need more coffee, but I'm not sure what you mean?

Big big request we had from AHC to code in squad liaisons, absolute key aspect was that they could be on the HC channel without being visible on the HClist so they would not be sucked into HC unit movement/leadership when they didn't want to, or at the least they would be clearly marked as SLs so the playerbase would not have the expectation that they are HCs and play accordingly.

We were rejected by the Rats (I believe you were an HC/player rep by then so I think you passed it on but didn't necessarily decide anything), one factor I think was that the Axis HC didn't want to do it and such code isn't going to distinguish between how each side prefers to operate.

Best we got was the Reserve Officer program.  AHC went ahead with using RO as an ersatz SL initiative, and it worked fantastically for awhile- until the inevitable downturn and utterly predictable situation where  HCs dropped off and SLs were left on the HClist.  Many of the SLs did not respond to player calls for this or that action, rightly so as they were told they weren't part of the HC or had map responsibilities.  Players complained that HC guys weren't responding because surprise the SL hide/talk OR SL mark was not coded, I guess heat was applied to the Allied CinC (who shall not be named) to 'fixit', and he discontinued the program entirely, which hurt the Allied team at the time.

All this can be found in the AHC Senior Staff forum.

This missed opportunity for just a SIMPLE coding assist really chapped me at the time and I have questioned ever since how serious Rats 1.0 were about squads and HC.   Also chapped me when people would say I was against squads, which is not the case, just against squads only running the game, when I was trying very hard behind the scenes to get at least minimal organizing tools.

So I know exactly how powerful this initiative can be for a side and for squads to be 'tied in' and have input into 'the plan', am happy to see it is now recognized as something worth doing and incentivizing, but the same issues are waiting to arise unless they are addressed.

3 people like this

It’s currently somewhat close.. You can join reserve and can use the .hcoff command and you would be removed from the list, but you would also not be able to talk in hc chat if your .hcoff

I'm reserve HC and I'd really like to automatically be hcoff by default.

I agree with kilemall though, in the long run more work is needed.

12 hours ago, SCKING said:

It’s currently somewhat close.. You can join reserve and can use the .hcoff command and you would be removed from the list, but you would also not be able to talk in hc chat if your .hcoff

They should see blue chat 

Open doors -requirement is a turn off for many squads that would otherwise meet the requirements and be interested.  

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, gretnine said:

Open doors -requirement is a turn off for many squads that would otherwise meet the requirements and be interested.  

+1

Squads have their recruiting flags off for one reason only, to stop the unwanted recruiting of guys trying out the game. I doubt many squads will change that policy just to be more involved with HC.

1 person likes this

Allowing squad liaisons (ideally more than 1 per squad in case that 1 person isn't online) access to blue chat would be great.  They aren't in the HC list, they can't move brigades or issue AOs, but they are constantly able to read the flow of HC discourse.  

That would have served the game extremely well years ago.  What an absolute shame @Kilemall.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

Allowing squad liaisons (ideally more than 1 per squad in case that 1 person isn't online) access to blue chat would be great.  They aren't in the HC list, they can't move brigades or issue AOs, but they are constantly able to read the flow of HC discourse.  

That would have served the game extremely well years ago.  What an absolute shame @Kilemall.

+1