BMBM

Your idea of Fun

281 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a long grueling day in the IRL salt mine and I don't have much energy left, but I'd like to hear how you define FUN. This comes up regularly in threads "we just want to have fun", "it's no fun", "CRS doesn't understand the fun aspect" etc - and I draw my own conclusion of what that might mean depending on who posts... that's not optimal. We need more voices here if were not to design for just the vocal few.

Speaking personally, MY idea of FUN is to get a group of players together and execute an air combat mission with as few flaws as possible (some casualties accepted) - kills are secondary, getting the boys home is primary - eg lobbing a flight-ful of eggs into a target or suppressing an airfield or three for an hour. Good comms, good teamwork, a few kills, everyone happy = good experience. I love to do the same in a tank too, as an old RL tankdude.

When I play alone, as most times lately, I get my jollies supporting others and on interdiction. I'll happily lug satchels or defend a bunker, shoot some AA or walk an ATG for hours in the boonies. I don't need the bumrush SMG party, mostly because I suck at it, but I respect and sympathize with those of you who do.

So, what's your definition?

My idea of fun is similar to yours Bmbm. Good comms, good teamwork, executing a well planned or even half [censored] attack/defend mission that only succeeds on pure dumb luck. This done in a highly realistic battlefield with realistic weapons/vehicles and learning to use them in a way to overcome overwhelming odds just like it would have been done for reals. Pulling that off is awesome, not doing so gets frustrating but still want to do it again. It's the draw of the challenge for me. I can go play literally any other ww2 shooter to have blue v red balance gameplay.

I have fun by just logging on and playing.  Winning or losing does not play a factor in that for me. 

The game is a release for the grind of daily real life stuff that happens day in a day out.  I realize its a game, take it for what it is and just try to relax for a few hours and have fun.  I mostly play solo but will support others in the field by defending or attacking a depot. I prefer the solitude play as I deal with and talk to people all day via email and phone so......no comms for me. By that time of the evening Im done verbally talking and listening...LOL :lol:

Simple. Fun = no softcaps. 

Edited by matamor
1 person likes this

My idea of fun varies with who I am with and what mood I'm in. Sometimes I like to execute the perfect RTB bombing run. Sometimes Zi like trucking troops around in a half track. Sometimes I do FB busts. Sometimes I rush the bunker. Others I just run around checking CPs.

At the end of the day I think the most important feature is having a real life challenge and needing to think and plan what I'm going to do. 

I like to mindlessly spawn and lemming rush as well. But what keeps me coming back to this game is having to plan actions, put in the leg work, and executing them.

The classic example is the WWIIOL tank column. A lot of prep work for no guaranteed outcome, but always a lot of fun abd camaraderie.

So things that done would consider boring, like truck driving, towing, or flying a bomber increases the fun of the game since you get a quasi fear of death since you are invested in the mission. That is the critical piece IMHO. It is a feeling that I have never had in any FPS game. The closest thing to that feeling is an RPG game.

Which is actually amazing since WWIIOL has no RPG elements (but should!).

2 people like this

I think one of the most fun aspects of the game is that one day (or one piece of one day) I can drive a truck to an enemy forward base, and watch as engineers blow up said FB.  On another day, I can grab a tank, and set up along a likely avenue of approach, and 'kill' enemy stuff that passes by.  Other times I can help to hold an AB bunker, or go EMFS hunting, or organize a defense (or attack, although truth be told I prefer organizing defensive missions these days).  I used to like flying, and someday will return to it, despite not being as good at it as I would expect or prefer.  I like showing new players the 'ropes' as it were, and watching as they figure out just how huge this game is---how many possibilities there are, and so on.

I guess in short, my definition of 'fun' changes, and WWIIOnline accomodates those changes.

S!

I play infantry mostly with a splattering of tanku, I enjoy PvP and outplaying and being outplayed.

I would prefer to be on AO bumrushing a spawnable but lately the action has been at DO CP defense/recapture.

I enjoy marking and comms and really like map watching, seeing people doing any objective and backing them up on it if I can. Any time I'm spawned in I'm thinking "am I an effective resource per TOM". I usually only spawn an kit for an objective I've already identified as a rifle, using the unit for that one objective and getting killed or despawning after success. I remake missions quite constantly and warp around a town as fast as I think my current area is safe/populated.

I enjoy the tactical level of inf play and any situation I am in I try as best to heavily stack it in my favour, if I can flank, run around and come up behind you I will. I enjoy that my enemy is doing the same to me at all times, this means my own success feels authentic and real.

I enjoy the strategic level of play and feel I have a good map in my head based on the various sounds around, I use that to be identifying whether I need to be changing what I am doing.

The variety of PvP genres I've played during my unsubbed years I believe have all contributed to being a better ww2ol player with a better big picture and am really enjoying this go around of it.

1 person likes this

Coordinated teamwork. Ever just have a group communicating effectively together and working as a unit, be it air land or sea? Ever have that group squaring off against adversaries in a similarly effective group? It’s fantastic. I’m looking forward to see which changes CRS will make to encourage and reward proper team play moving forward. 

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

in the old days, the best air fights were mostly chess matches with neither side really owning. best here meaning experience and memories after the fact not necessarily fun in the moment. i recall some extended nail biters with eagle squadron that lasted 15-20 minutes with wing pairs on my side would egress to the edges of the fight simply to cool down while other wings pairs stayed engaged or covered the egress. those were super stressful fights in the moment, fun? sure but not as fun as say BARCAPing the ingress lanes where the risk to us was minimal and the kills per minute were higher. those were the most 'fun' but in the grand scheme subjectively 'worse' for the game as a whole. the most epic air battles were the few occassions where large RDP flights were encountered or the few times both side's RDP flights stumbled across each other. these times 'felt' right, there was a sense of epicness that while fleeting i'll likely never forget.

on the ground - never really taken ww2ol seriously on the ground. not as infantry or tanking. had many fun times on the ground but for me ground is just something to pass the time until i want to fly again. as long as i get some kills i'm having 'fun' - never cared much for the state of the map or town i was in - just trying to get some kills. one exception, flak traps. flak traps were TONS of fun back when the allies massively out numbered the germans in the air. having a few people hop in 110s as piggy bait to drag over top of flak - watching countless spits fall to the flak guns ... too much fun. wish we had spaa back then.

2 hours ago, Bmbm said:

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a long grueling day in the IRL salt mine and I don't have much energy left, but I'd like to hear how you define FUN. This comes up regularly in threads "we just want to have fun", "it's no fun", "CRS doesn't understand the fun aspect" etc - and I draw my own conclusion of what that might mean depending on who posts... that's not optimal. We need more voices here if were not to design for just the vocal few.

Speaking personally, MY idea of FUN is to get a group of players together and execute an air combat mission with as few flaws as possible (some casualties accepted) - kills are secondary, getting the boys home is primary - eg lobbing a flight-ful of eggs into a target or suppressing an airfield or three for an hour. Good comms, good teamwork, a few kills, everyone happy = good experience. I love to do the same in a tank too, as an old RL tankdude.

When I play alone, as most times lately, I get my jollies supporting others and on interdiction. I'll happily lug satchels or defend a bunker, shoot some AA or walk an ATG for hours in the boonies. I don't need the bumrush SMG party, mostly because I suck at it, but I respect and sympathize with those of you who do.

So, what's your definition?

I'm not sure I understand the  "bumrush smg" party comment.

Right. Some of us like to use an SMG. I don't pay $18 to use a rifle. I specifically pay to use an SMG because it is fun killing EI and clearing and defending CPs.  I rarely "bumrush" with the SMG upstairs and around corners. because there are more intelligent and efficient ways of clearing/defending a CP.

I took the comment as an insult. Because you know, that's what we do: we just run and gun, "bumrush" with our SMG's/Automatics with no regard to the team.

My fun: being able to adequately defend CPs and stopping CPs and towns from falling-with SMGs. 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, xohorvath said:

I took the comment as an insult. Because you know, that's what we do: we just run and gun, "bumrush" with our SMG's/Automatics with no regard to the team.

Didn't mean to belittle or insult anyone - if that's your idea of fun (and nothing else?) you're entitled to it, and we do wish to cater to as many types of fun as possible, whatever they may be.

I guess the thing here is that everyone has their own interpretation of what constitutes a "fun" time in game - and that's what I'm trying to gauge here. 

I have fun as long as I both see and am part of smart play and somewhat of a game/side balance, be it numbers or equipment.

large scale combined arms battles, lasting hours. air fighting for CAS, tanks holding ZoC's, and inf assaulting constantly

last time i saw this regularly was with the inf-FRU, FMS's and truck-FRU's don't have the same ability to develop and sustain a attack

My idea of fun was ground attack in an aircraft.  I loved doing CAS in attack or defense in coordination with a ground squad.  Moreover, I loved doing it in hotly contested air space.  Coming into target seeing a giant fur ball in front of you knowing that you needed to acquire a target and then act on it in all of that was a blast.  At times you would get engaged but would work with fighters to clear your tail and then go right back to engaging ground targets.  Fighters tended to focus on other fighters because they were a bigger direct threat to them.  Some time ago, in fact many years ago at this point, that dynamic completely changed with a flight model audit.  The fighter support for one side completely disappeared over towns and ended up in the stratosphere somewhere.  Flying CAS meant that I was completely without fighter support over AOs and at times became impossible.  I decided to change sides and played the other side for three plus years.  It was fun for awhile but I eventually became bored because there was no real challenge.  I had as much loiter time as I wanted over target and was rarely challenged by enemy fighters.  I eventually found myself just playing on the ground almost exclusively.  I had hoped the new team at CRS would turn the air game into a real fight so the CAS game was fun again.  I gave the new team a few years to address the problem but it appears it's not even on the radar.

Bombs exploding around an infantry position, CAS, dug in deep with a wave of armor and infantry cresting the hill, radioman calling in grids for arty, guy with half his shoulder blown being dragged to the back, corpsman running around treating people as the call to retreat goes out and we all run for our virtual lives while yelling obscenities over local chat.

Edited by knucks

My idea of fun is days long combined arms battles.  I can remember Antwerp battles that lasted a week of solid fighting.  Or Zeeland battles where Navy and air clashed to push area control to allow fmbs full of infantry to jump the gap between islands and cap spawns.

My idea of fun is killing stuff to achieve a mission objective, plain and simple.  

Edited by GrAnit

2 hours ago, xohorvath said:

My fun: being able to adequately defend CPs and stopping CPs and towns from falling-with SMGs. 

WWIIOL does this really, really, really poorly. The warpy inf and the fact that we can't support the same packet sizes/streams as smaller "shoebox" shooters means that one guy with an SMG can warp around, becoming a one-man-army, easily slaughtering ei, until someone gets a lucky shot on him.

It's utterly glaring, arguably the single worst aspect of infantry play.

Try to play like that in a game like Post Scriptum, and it simply won't work the same way.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, gt3076r said:

Coordinated teamwork. Ever just have a group communicating effectively together and working as a unit

Yes, this....

Resupply runs going on trying to cap and attrit the town.

No magic Brigade warping.

Taking a town even if i don't get a kill.

A coordinated FB takedown or defense.

1 minute ago, xanthus said:

WWIIOL does this really, really, really poorly. The warpy inf and the fact that we can't support the same packet sizes/streams as smaller "shoebox" shooters means that one guy with an SMG can warp around, becoming a one-man-army, easily slaughtering ei, until someone gets a lucky shot on him.

It's utterly glaring, arguably the single worst aspect of infantry play.

Try to play like that in a game like Post Scriptum, and it simply won't work the same way.

you're also not connecting to a low ping server - per se. If you live in Texas you're connecting to a low ping server, east/west coast is still relatively low ping too. However, there is no european ww2ol cell hostse to connect to. most shoeboxes either kick higher latency users, prevent them from joining, or more likely - users connect to whichever server is the lowest ping with users on it. join the highest ping PS server you can find, tell me what that's like.

in theory, the cell hosts 'could' be spread out across the globe. likely could even leverage cloud hosting providers and spin up/down cell hosts as needed keeping capex costs low.  if this theory held true and was done, you could latency route players matching them to the nearest cell host and could then flag AOs as "this AO has mostly european players atm, don't play infantry from the west coast but tanking should still be fine". if that all could be done and was done, your infantry experience would be very similar to shoebox shooters.

If I wasn't in HC, my idea of fun would revolve around the air game most likely.  I love dogfighting, BARCAPing, RDP bombing, and CAS.  I'm not a big fan of flying meatwagons however ;)

Joining HC gave me an entirely new perspective on WWIIOL, and it's a perspective that I don't know if I ever would have come to know otherwise.  Seeing the big picture now is almost a curse, because I can't justify flying when I know how much more I can contribute to my side when I'm not flying.  

It would be nice if we had enough population where all the basic minimum jobs were being done and you actually could just do whatever you felt like without having a detrimental impact to your side.  

Depending on my mood, sometimes fun to me is just guarding an FB. Just dig into a good spot and wait. Maybe nothing happens for a while. When it does happen, it's like the excitement meter just jumped from 0 to 10 in no time flat, lol.

I'll never forget the time I dug into a foxhole with an lmg and just half snoozed for a while with the FB in front of me. Suddenly, para drop! - a perfect drop too, as they all landed in a cluster at the FB (and right in front of me). I was locked and loaded, it was like Christmas came early. 

3 people like this

The ones that know me , know that the Stug is my weapon of choice and with that comes my fun and challenge.

If I can't get my hand on one , then I love to play whatever is available or whatever is needed, if it's an FB bust I'll play Engineer or support INF and so on.

I try my hand on Flying once in awhile , with mixed results,  sometimes it's fun other times a exercise in frustration.  

But overall Teamwork, playing with my Squad and the others that are online makes this game really fun for me.