• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
BMBM

Your idea of Fun

281 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, madrebel said:

109s are perfectly capable of clearing the low air space, even TnB a bit. you don't need something that out turns allies to handle them down low, just be smarter.

example, someone in a 109F2 tried to out turn my spit1 earlier this camp. he literally was stick in his gut trying his damnedest to out turn me. problem for him was two fold

1) he had more speed than I did entering the fight, because of this, even if he had a hurricane i still would have out turned him

2) he didn't know how to get the most out of his plane as he was trying to turn nose high and was stalling out a lot while i was nose low. something to note, i don't 'cheat' with flaps in spits, makes me feel dirty - meaning, in this case i was purely using the natural performance of the virtual plane to my advantage and after about 4 go rounds i was on his tail and he was completely out of energy.

at any point in the first two go rounds he coulda punched out and walked away from me. he could have done a few different maneuvers to maintain his energy advantage and punished me - yet he tried to do something his plane can't do and paid the price for it.

do note, it was a really close engagement. took all i had to keep the spit from stalling out riding the razor edge of the stall the whole time - and i'm not a good spit pilot at all

why? there is actually some really good logic to it and things that may need fudging for game sake are easy to fudge. explain how its bad.

Explain to me why I can play for hours turning on the deck with almost no opposition unless I’m less than 1 square from an Axis airfield?  Explain to me why the Allies typically have more sorties with double the K/D for their bombers in nearly every campaign for the last decade. 

I have a great explanation for it. It’s called poor game design. I would love to hear yours though.  

Edited by minky

4 minutes ago, XOOM said:

I said exceedingly more than, meaning WWIIOL is of course an FPS game, hell we're the first MMO FPS ever built. But it's so much more than just "that." 

That goes with the in-game experience of the strategy, the deeply rooted commitment and investment of players to the Campaign and their side affiliation, operational planning and execution, developer interactions with the player base, the community's engagement with their friends and squads, the fact that we're simulation-esque on top of all of that... that's the kinda stuff I'm talking about, that you really don't find elsewhere to this degree as we see here at WWII Online.

The problem is that when you “that” part of the game wrong, none of the rest of it matters. 

12 minutes ago, Bmbm said:

That's me in a nutshell hehe.

Do you have those same issues in any Matilda variant?

5 minutes ago, minky said:

The problem is that when you “that” part of the game wrong, none of the rest of it matters. 

That may be the case for you, but it is not the case for the veterans who have been here for all of these years.

Don't believe me?...

Why do people so quickly leave the other FPS games so rapidly and forget them? How many of them last for 17.5 years continuously like ours? How many people (raises hand) grew up with this game and remain loyal to it?

1 person likes this

For Tier 0, I say reduce the number of 88s, reduce the number of matties, move some chars from the armored to the inf flags, and add some 4Ds to the inf flags.  Maybe move some other stuff around here and there.  

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, minky said:

Explain to me why I can play for hours turning on the deck with almost no opposition unless I’m less that 1 square from an Axis airfield?  Explain to me why the Allies typically have more sorties with double the K/D for their bombers in nearly every campaign for the last decade. 

I have a great explanation for it. It’s called poor game design. I would love to hear yours though.  

cause there are like 10 total axis pilots left, almost all of them jg51 which if my guess is right means US eastern/central time zone. If you're not playing at those times you're not going to see many german pilots.

i barely have time to play anymore, when i do it's typically 10am-2pm PST or 1pm-5pm EST, ran into jg51 a few times this map. outside of those times, there was nothing.

why? well, thats a LONG story that imo goes like this:

1) way back, around 2002, german cannons were 'fixed'. there was a bug that allowed german rounds to clip into and roast matildas and chars and really anything else. this had to be fixed, once it was fixed, german cannons became very inconsistent. however, we made due, and we still had HUGE numbers - on both sides.

2) at some point, allied pilots got frustrated having only terrible 8 x RCMG guns packages, and whined that the 109s were perhaps turning a tiny bit too well. do note, at this time multiple players tested spits vs 109s and the spit still out turned the 109, just not well enough for some. do note, it was shown both planes turned too well <-- that's important.

3) 109s were 'fixed' and as a result of the fix developed a TERRIBLE flop that had zero histroical justification. 109s are widely known too be among the most docile ww2 planes in stall behavior, almost never spinning. this change did in fact begin losing players for the luftwaffe. still, the luft soldiered on even though at times we were massively out numbered now.

4) this was all fine, until the ground pounders began to whine. their whines brought 'weather' and the fishbowl. weather is a feature so poorly implemented that we're now down to only seeing it 2% of the time. weather and the fishbowl absolutely castrated pilot numbers on both sides. fwiw, weather impacted the LW a lot more as the tactic of BnZ was severly impacted

5) fwiw - EWS arrived about the same time as weather and acted as a nice 1/2 punch - chasing off or acting as a second reason for many to leave. I think if EWS was delivered without weather/fishbowl it's impact would have been much less - instead it was the insult after injury. IMO if all EWS did was inform you of planes over airspace in which your side owns CPs it would be fine. the deep behind enemy lines reports need to go IMO.

so its a long running history of negative changes that impacted the LW heavily. thats all sins of the past though.

CRS 2.0 then:

already fixed the 109, its more stable now.

already audited the ammo

in the process of auditing the plane damage models so the ammo works better

has added a lot of new planes, even though they're mostly variants we hadn't seen a new plane since the 190a4/p38/spit9 triad from ... 08?

reading between the lines, fairly certain proper level bombers for allies and ju88 for germans are being worked on <--my speculation

identified the fishbowl as an actual thing as up until hatch literally pointed out the difference, none of us knew for sure wtf we were experiencing. presumably its on the list to fix.

1.36 bringing back the BARCAP which the LW relied on ehavily to slow the flow of allied lawn mowers.

I'm sure @XOOM is reading this and will soon commit to delivering the ultra epic/uber/sexy Mc.200, Mc.202, and Mc.205 so the 'axis' actually become an axis in the air and the italian fighters can really challenge down low ... ;-)

i still think weather is a mental blocker to would be returning vets. a lot of scars there, since its only 2% - remove it completely. no point doing anything right this second but when the DM audits and fishbowl fixes are ready to deliver, turn off weather for 6 months. blast out that email, tell all the old pilots how the team has resolved long standing issues in the air war AND is sensitive to the hurt feelings from weather/fishbowl.

even then, i doubt the pilot numbers reverse over night, it'll take some time to get people back - its worth trying though.

long post short - its been years of things that have culminated in where we are and lastly, of the small umber of allied pilots flying - a few of them have been stone cold aces for a very long time. with numbers being so small on both sides, if you have stone cold killers in a slightly higher percentage flying allied you're going to see skewed stats.   ffs, we've got 12 guys on the 'top fighters' list with sub 1.0 K/D ratio. you used to have to scroll through 5+ pages to get to the guys with less than 2:1 K/D .. fwiw there are only 14 total poeple on the top bomber list too. the problem is just lack of pilots in general, has very little to do with 109s not being able to turn fight on equal footing.

that said, im 100% for spits and hurricanes and any other plane that didnt have variable flaps losing that ability. its just wrong and does give advantage where there shouldn't be any. 109s should have the advantage there and in some cases it should allow them to tango with spits better than they currently do when both pilots are using variable flaps.

*edit* something else, even when the 109 flopped horribly, if you knew what you were doing you could dominate spitfires 1v1, even out turning them. you just couldn't reliably do that in a flat circle.

*edited mostly for spelling - F conference calls on a saturday morning*

1 person likes this

I try to stay out of these posts but I will add this, how many other games would have the head of the development company replying to threads rather than just relying on forum mods to cull anything that questioned game development or direction?

2 people like this

Just now, madrebel said:

1) way back, around 2002, german cannons were 'fixed'. there was a bug that allowed german rounds to clip into and roast matildas and chars and really anything else. 

Actually it was anything with a HE element clipped behind the armor on everything and being pretty much the only HE ingame was in the axis equipment that was what got most effected at that time. Char had HE rounds in the hullgun but that was about it for allied HE. So actually it was not a particular cannon or side but all HE that got adjusted. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, XOOM said:

That may be the case for you, but it is not the case for the veterans who have been here for all of these years.

Don't believe me?...

Why do people so quickly leave the other FPS games so rapidly and forget them? How many of them last for 17.5 years continuously like ours? How many people (raises hand) grew up with this game and remain loyal to it?

The numbers in this game are minuscule campared to others on the market. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. Half the threads on here are about how to bring in new blood. As a commercial enterprise, how well would you be doing if you actually had to pay the staff supporting the the game?  Anyway none of that is neither here nor there.

This game has a great CONCEPT.  That concept is poorly implemented at the moment.  It’s the concept that people stay for.  Not for what the game is but what it could be.  That’s what inspires your loyalty to the game and the frustration that surrounds the game.

47 minutes ago, minky said:

Do you have those same issues in any Matilda variant?

I only have one sortie in the Matilda CS, which ended prematurely courtesy of a Tiger. In fact, most of my tanking sorties only result in paltry scores. I rather prefer the Wackylaff.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, minky said:

The numbers in this game are minuscule campared to others on the market. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. Half the threads on here are about how to bring in new blood. As a commercial enterprise, how well would you be doing if you actually had to pay the staff supporting the the game?  Anyway none of that is neither here nor there.

This game has a great CONCEPT.  That concept is poorly implemented at the moment.  It’s the concept that people stay for.  Not for what the game is but what it could be.  That’s what inspires your loyalty to the game and the frustration that surrounds the game.

you do need to give CRS 2.0 some time to make conceptual changes that CRS 1.0 failed to make.

1.36 is that first major shift - TOE lists ... sure there is room for argument but 1.36 really is the first major shift. until then, can't really expect the flood gates to open - can you?

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Bmbm said:

I only have one sortie in the Matilda CS, which ended prematurely courtesy of a Tiger. In fact, most of my tanking sorties only result in paltry scores. I rather prefer the Wackylaff.

I have had several.
You could sort of call them a success, or a partial success.

I could stand off from the axis FMS at enough range that i had little to worry from the ATG's
And i could suppress the hell out of it, lots of hits, which means lots of things having to go respawn because now they are damaged, which means they were
not making it out from the FMS to their objective.
The 3 inch HE is much more effective than the MG for that :) 

The part that was not a success was getting some others to support the effort.
With out someone to come press the advantage, eventually you run out of ammo, or someone sends a tank after you.
No fault of the CS matty, it simply only holds so much ammo, and has about 0 effectiveness VS enemy AFV's.
You can only reverse away from the panzer for so long before it over runs and flanks you and then the matty is done.

2 hours ago, madrebel said:

show me just one historical AAR where infantry spot and stalked tanks. just one.

I don't know off the top of my head of any stalking instances with HE weapons or the early (low-effectivness) or mid-war (high-effectiveness) German attachable HEAT devices, but I'd bet it happened during the early war in urban settings, when tank units were stupid enough to operate without sufficient competent infantry in front of them. I've seen non specific reports that improvised HE weapons were the most common kill method during the Finnish defense against the Russians.

Such urban stalking however was common once HEAT projectors were introduced. A few examples: Major Cain at Arnhem with a PIAT, and multiple instances in the various villages around Elsenborn Ridge during the Bulge fighting, using bazookas. Almost certainly this kind of action also occurred in towns and villages on the eastern front, as German troops fought the flood of Russian tanks using panzerfausts and panzerschrecks, and sometimes the HHL-3 when they were sufficiently desperate.

Single soldiers running around in the countryside, chasing down tanks...? Absolutely that didn't happen, or happened so infrequently that it was an historical anomaly. By and large Rambos did not exist during WWII. Soldiers always were near their unit, and the unit or a team of that unit operated together. 

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

I have had several.
You could sort of call them a success, or a partial success.

I could stand off from the axis FMS at enough range that i had little to worry from the ATG's
And i could suppress the hell out of it, lots of hits, which means lots of things having to go respawn because now they are damaged, which means they were
not making it out from the FMS to their objective.
The 3 inch HE is much more effective than the MG for that :) 

The part that was not a success was getting some others to support the effort.
With out someone to come press the advantage, eventually you run out of ammo, or someone sends a tank after you.
No fault of the CS matty, it simply only holds so much ammo, and has about 0 effectiveness VS enemy AFV's.
You can only reverse away from the panzer for so long before it over runs and flanks you and then the matty is done.

Historically Matty CSs were to fire smoke at enemy tanks, or detected AT guns that they could not assuredly kill with HE. Historically the loadout of the Matty CS was 2/3 smoke, 1/3 HE for just that reason.

5 minutes ago, jwilly said:

I don't know off the top of my head of any stalking instances with HE weapons or the early (low-effectivness) or mid-war (high-effectiveness) German attachable HEAT devices, but I'd bet it happened during the early war in urban settings, when tank units were stupid enough to operate without sufficient competent infantry in front of them. I've seen non specific reports that improvised HE weapons were the most common kill method during the Finnish defense against the Russians.

Such urban stalking however was common once HEAT projectors were introduced. A few examples: Major Cain at Arnhem with a PIAT, and multiple instances in the various villages around Elsenborn Ridge during the Bulge fighting, using bazookas. Almost certainly this kind of action also occurred in towns and villages on the eastern front, as German troops fought the flood of Russian tanks using panzerfausts and panzerschrecks, and sometimes the HHL-3 when they were sufficiently desperate.

Single soldiers running around in the countryside, chasing down tanks...? Absolutely that didn't happen, or happened so infrequently that it was an historical anomaly. By and large Rambos did not exist during WWII. Soldiers always were near their unit, and the unit or a team of that unit operated together. 

Here's an article that has a lot of links to bazooka use-

https://elementsofpower.blogspot.com/2012/06/bazooka-magnificent-weapon-or-crapshoot.html

A lot of this is anecdotal, but I have no reason to disbelieve the AARs, including that one super bazooka tank hunter.  It's important to consider that AARs would only be filed by survivors and not indicative necessarily of not being able to get in position to shoot the tanks, or got killed before they could return.

1 hour ago, jwilly said:

Key word being urban. I personally have zero issue with tanks being infantry meat in urban settings. My issue is solo rambos spawning in town, then running out into open countryside to plant magical charges on tanks or carry large tubes/pints the same many hundred yards again in a completely fictitious stalking of tanks. Its lame. 

Make bushes actual bushes and much of this stops. Remove binos from ‘tank hunting’ infantry and they’ll need more teamwork to operate at 100% capacity - audio will still allow some stalking but without binos and with bushes being an impediment you start shifting the power scale back to AFVs in open country. 

Also improve multi crew so either player can switch between commander, driver, gunner, and bow gunner to encourage more multi-crewing. Poly crew would be nice but just allowing free switching between the two we support now would be a nice improvement. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, madrebel said:

Key word being urban. I personally have zero issue with tanks being infantry meat in urban settings. My issue is solo rambos spawning in town, then running out into open countryside to plant magical charges on tanks or carry large tubes/pints the same many hundred yards again in a completely fictitious stalking of tanks. Its lame. 

Make bushes actual bushes and much of this stops. Remove binos from ‘tank hunting’ infantry and they’ll need more teamwork to operate at 100% capacity - audio will still allow some stalking but without binos and with bushes being an impediment you start shifting the power scale back to AFVs in open country. 

Also improve multi crew so either player can switch between commander, driver, gunner, and bow gunner to encourage more multi-crewing. Poly crew would be nice but just allowing free switching between the two we support now would be a nice improvement. 

Losing the binos for sappers and RPATs is the best idea I've ever heard in regards to that rambo nonsense. 

13 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

Losing the binos for sappers and RPATs is the best idea I've ever heard in regards to that rambo nonsense. 

If it has an effect and it's easy to do, I say go for it 100%.  

3 people like this

7 hours ago, madrebel said:

cause there are like 10 total axis pilots left, almost all of them jg51 which if my guess is right means US eastern/central time zone. If you're not playing at those times you're not going to see many german pilots.

i barely have time to play anymore, when i do it's typically 10am-2pm PST or 1pm-5pm EST, ran into jg51 a few times this map. outside of those times, there was nothing.

why? well, thats a LONG story that imo goes like this:

1) way back, around 2002, german cannons were 'fixed'. there was a bug that allowed german rounds to clip into and roast matildas and chars and really anything else. this had to be fixed, once it was fixed, german cannons became very inconsistent. however, we made due, and we still had HUGE numbers - on both sides.

2) at some point, allied pilots got frustrated having only terrible 8 x RCMG guns packages, and whined that the 109s were perhaps turning a tiny bit too well. do note, at this time multiple players tested spits vs 109s and the spit still out turned the 109, just not well enough for some. do note, it was shown both planes turned too well <-- that's important.

3) 109s were 'fixed' and as a result of the fix developed a TERRIBLE flop that had zero histroical justification. 109s are widely known too be among the most docile ww2 planes in stall behavior, almost never spinning. this change did in fact begin losing players for the luftwaffe. still, the luft soldiered on even though at times we were massively out numbered now.

4) this was all fine, until the ground pounders began to whine. their whines brought 'weather' and the fishbowl. weather is a feature so poorly implemented that we're now down to only seeing it 2% of the time. weather and the fishbowl absolutely castrated pilot numbers on both sides. fwiw, weather impacted the LW a lot more as the tactic of BnZ was severly impacted

5) fwiw - EWS arrived about the same time as weather and acted as a nice 1/2 punch - chasing off or acting as a second reason for many to leave. I think if EWS was delivered without weather/fishbowl it's impact would have been much less - instead it was the insult after injury. IMO if all EWS did was inform you of planes over airspace in which your side owns CPs it would be fine. the deep behind enemy lines reports need to go IMO.

so its a long running history of negative changes that impacted the LW heavily. thats all sins of the past though.

CRS 2.0 then:

already fixed the 109, its more stable now.

already audited the ammo

in the process of auditing the plane damage models so the ammo works better

has added a lot of new planes, even though they're mostly variants we hadn't seen a new plane since the 190a4/p38/spit9 triad from ... 08?

reading between the lines, fairly certain proper level bombers for allies and ju88 for germans are being worked on <--my speculation

identified the fishbowl as an actual thing as up until hatch literally pointed out the difference, none of us knew for sure wtf we were experiencing. presumably its on the list to fix.

1.36 bringing back the BARCAP which the LW relied on ehavily to slow the flow of allied lawn mowers.

I'm sure @XOOM is reading this and will soon commit to delivering the ultra epic/uber/sexy Mc.200, Mc.202, and Mc.205 so the 'axis' actually become an axis in the air and the italian fighters can really challenge down low ... ;-)

i still think weather is a mental blocker to would be returning vets. a lot of scars there, since its only 2% - remove it completely. no point doing anything right this second but when the DM audits and fishbowl fixes are ready to deliver, turn off weather for 6 months. blast out that email, tell all the old pilots how the team has resolved long standing issues in the air war AND is sensitive to the hurt feelings from weather/fishbowl.

even then, i doubt the pilot numbers reverse over night, it'll take some time to get people back - its worth trying though.

long post short - its been years of things that have culminated in where we are and lastly, of the small umber of allied pilots flying - a few of them have been stone cold aces for a very long time. with numbers being so small on both sides, if you have stone cold killers in a slightly higher percentage flying allied you're going to see skewed stats.   ffs, we've got 12 guys on the 'top fighters' list with sub 1.0 K/D ratio. you used to have to scroll through 5+ pages to get to the guys with less than 2:1 K/D .. fwiw there are only 14 total poeple on the top bomber list too. the problem is just lack of pilots in general, has very little to do with 109s not being able to turn fight on equal footing.

that said, im 100% for spits and hurricanes and any other plane that didnt have variable flaps losing that ability. its just wrong and does give advantage where there shouldn't be any. 109s should have the advantage there and in some cases it should allow them to tango with spits better than they currently do when both pilots are using variable flaps.

*edit* something else, even when the 109 flopped horribly, if you knew what you were doing you could dominate spitfires 1v1, even out turning them. you just couldn't reliably do that in a flat circle.

*edited mostly for spelling - F conference calls on a saturday morning*

What I find interesting is that you analyze everything from the fighter pilot’s perspective. What happened to the to the Axis CAS pilots when the LW became boom and zoom only?

They left, well, some. Still had a few dedicated CAS pilots - iirc oldzeke was one of them. Swiftcut used to out dog fights spits and hurricanes in the ju87. Once the 110C4/b and 110F/b arrived it wasn’t hard to dive, drop and run. At times dedicated fighter wings used 110s and stukas as bait. Then there was the good ole flak trap, again stukas were great at attracting flies.

to be fair, prior to TOEs/FLAGs havocs and db7s were mopped up enroute with ease. The few that still got through had little effect. Allied CAS was historically strafe related, back then we had 1 hit wonder MSes - didn’t need silly bombs to drop the MS.

id say the biggest hit to German CAS was changing FBs so they no longer took damage. The Germans massively dominated that game - pretty sure that was before havocs/db7s too.

15 hours ago, XOOM said:

Don't believe me?...

you guys drop the ball and strain player patience too much. some of the guys left here defend bugs, they're bordering obsession with the game instead of enjoying it

i know vets that left after you screwed with the gameplay too much. heck it's the most common reason they left.

just look at the barracks a few months after MS's were changed. rax is dead, so was my squad nights.

17 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Might want to read that article I posted, not so nonsense.

19 hours ago, XOOM said:

Sorry David06. While you're inclined to have your own opinion, WWII Online relies greatly on historical feedback for decision making because that's what the community and CRS aims to have. That's what makes us different and our experience deeply genuine. 

Please remember that WWII Online is exceedingly more than just a FPS game.

It's a FPS game with a failed roleplaying board game tacked on to it. That's why all the marketing talks about the FPS. It's also why the game plays poorly and and has low population, because the game is judged by almost everyone on how it plays as a FPS not on the board game. The game sinks or swims as a FPS.

And Bmbm isn't using historical "feedback", he's citing the literal dollar value of a real life unit produced in the 1940s as a way to determine balance of virtual representations of them in a FPS game in 2019.

19 hours ago, madrebel said:

why? there is actually some really good logic to it and things that may need fudging for game sake are easy to fudge. explain how its bad.

Because a unit's game performance here hardly ever matches its historical dollar cost. For instance the Me110 is dramatically less valuable in game than a 109E4, yet was significantly more expensive in real life. Long range is irrelevant here. Expensive bombs and bombers hardly matter. The deadliest unit in the game is a regular infantryman with a cheap bundle of explosives. A pak 38 is cheaper than a Flak 36 but vastly more effective. The transport ship is almost completely irrelevant.

This gets much  worse with infantry as there are cheap SMGs that are extremely effective in this game because 90% of infantry combat here is within 25 meters, and frequently five or less. Give one side a bunch more SMGs because a sten is cheaper than a MP40 and there will be a laughable imbalance.

2 minutes ago, david06 said:

This gets much  worse with infantry as there are cheap SMGs that are extremely effective in this game because 90% of infantry combat here is within 25 meters, and frequently five or less. Give one side a bunch more SMGs because a sten is cheaper than a MP40 and there will be a laughable imbalance.

CRS screwed the pooch this last campaign when they gave the Axis double the SMG supply as the Allies, and yes the imbalance was laughable.  

I don't think they will be making that mistake again.  

1 hour ago, Kilemall said:

Might want to read that article I posted, not so nonsense.

Yes, Rambo gameplay is nonsense. None of the guys in the article you posted was operating independently, entirely away from his unit. It's unit physical cohesion that's missing from infantry gameplay in WWIIOL. RPAT use is entirely good, as long as it occurs in the context of cohesive unit operations. Rambos running through the countryside by themselves is bunk.

So is single tanks operating by themselves. All game combat elements should operate in units.

1 person likes this