BMBM

Your idea of Fun

281 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, knucks said:

This is how it could go since we're just throwing in ideas, increase infantry health, create limb damage if it isn't already added, do seperate hitboxes for the shoulders, upper and low arm, hands, legs, all that. So if you get shot in the leg, you lose your sprint until you're bandaged. If you take say a rifle round the the shoulder, that's gonna hurt and you're gonna start to bleed, you'll have to bandage and heal but from a medic, but how much better is that then just respawning, or going the rest of that life with a quarter of your stamina and faded vision? A bit too realistic, it is a game after all and every game has little games and medic and engineer roles are just as much their own games as HC is.
Really not that hard to do it terms of coding if you know what you're doing, and would be such a boost to infantry combat and tactics.

That's all unreal gameplay. Suitable for some of the other games you like, but per Marketing 101, CRS can't compete against the big guys by copying what they do.

As explained in my earlier post, the game always has inferred bandaging up of flesh wounds and grazes. The only "wounds" in this game...by deliberate design of the visual models and the slightly smaller torso and limb collider models...are ones that have the potential to kill you. None of those would be fixed with a bandage...they need a surgeon.

Oh, and a rifle round through the shoulder...and you go back to fighting? Absurd.

Edited by jwilly

14 minutes ago, knucks said:

1.36 has no direct implications on player numbers, your targeting old players who already know this game and follow it closely to slowly return over time to the now great wwiiol, but it doesn't start there it starts with how many people you have in game, while there's quite a few people who would likely come back, seeing the same old numbers may not excite them anymore, maybe they just want the massive battles like old times and don't care for who and how people play, as long as they're having fun. There's a lot more new people to reach developing this game than there is old, I can promise you that.

you contradict yourself literally in the first sentence.

59 minutes ago, knucks said:

If you take say a rifle round the the shoulder, that's gonna hurt and you're gonna start to bleed, you'll have to bandage and heal but from a medic

You are missing, or simply ignoring what people are telling you.
Yes, you will need a bandage, to stop the bleeding and keep dirt out

Until you arrive at the field surgeons.
If your shoulder works right again after taking a 30 caliber full power rifle round depends on what it hit.
If it hit the bone, you are probably heading for that big boat ride home and a lifetime of a non properly functioning shoulder.

If it only hit meat and muscle, you are lucky, but still not anything the medic can fix, only stabilize you for evac

1 hour ago, knucks said:

So if you get shot in the leg, you lose your sprint until you're bandaged.

A Bandage is not fixing that.
Sure you can throw on some sulfa and bind it up, now hopefully it wont leak worse.
But i'm hobbling until we can get me someplace else, you can't Heal me, that takes time if nothing else.
You can't magically make the ripped hole in my calf muscle go away.

"Magic" is the operative word. Knucks likes games with magical content, and thinks this one would be more successful if it had similar features.

3 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Knucks likes games with magical content

I do too, World of Warcraft, Everquest, Baldur's Gate, AD&D etc.
But they are based on it, it's a key foundation.
And those games would stuck if a Tiger tank spawns as a MOB and it's details read

Impervious to magic
Impervious to swords, Axes, Maces, Clubs
Impervious to everything not mentioned above
Attack Range 3000m, 1500m secondary
Special attack: 88mm AP
Secondary Attack: MG34 machine gun
AOE: crushes everything it drives over
Defeated by: Nothing in the time you will be alive in game

Tiger tanks don't fit there, and Magic does not fit here.

35 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

You are missing, or simply ignoring what people are telling you.
Yes, you will need a bandage, to stop the bleeding and keep dirt out

Until you arrive at the field surgeons.
If your shoulder works right again after taking a 30 caliber full power rifle round depends on what it hit.
If it hit the bone, you are probably heading for that big boat ride home and a lifetime of a non properly functioning shoulder.

If it only hit meat and muscle, you are lucky, but still not anything the medic can fix, only stabilize you for evac

A Bandage is not fixing that.
Sure you can throw on some sulfa and bind it up, now hopefully it wont leak worse.
But i'm hobbling until we can get me someplace else, you can't Heal me, that takes time if nothing else.
You can't magically make the ripped hole in my calf muscle go away.

It's called a game, bro.

Edited by knucks

2 hours ago, madrebel said:

GEEZ! That was so good...loved that time of the game. Hoping for full revival. The games situation sometimes reminds me of person who has had a serious heart attack.....i.e the game in serious trouble. While the analogy, is of course, not exact, there are parallels.  The game had a major one...perhaps a few. It survived. It is building up it's strength, trying to "exercise", get "stronger", learn to "eat right" etc..... It took a while for the factors to build up that precipitated the "attack", it will take time for it to recover and gain health again. Some think there's been enough time for recovery, while others see that it still needs time. How fast, what really to expect from a "near death" experience and recovery is perhaps at the heart of the matter (no pun intended). Having seen people have to recover from serious health issues, sometimes it's faster than you would think possible, others you know it's gone be a while. Understanding and offering help and constructive advice is one thing,  complaining to the person in recovery that they aren't going as fast as you would like, in ways that you would like is another (i.e hurry and get better dad, right now!!! I want you to ride me around on your bicycle).

Yes I know it's only an analogy and we are paying customers, or most of us, but we are also a community of players, with some shared interests in gaming experiences like WWII offers. That bond is what holds me involved. Even for those who "complain" you can sense their hope and involvement with the community and the game.

I guess we will see....

Game and community is still unique enough to keep me in it.

S! 

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, knucks said:

It's called a game, bro.

So is WOW.
Would a King Tiger rolling around, impervious to all fashions of magic and fantasy be any fun?

No, it doesn't fit, doesn't belong.

+1 staff of Holy Healing does not fit here in a game that is supposed to be very simulation oriented.

38 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

So is WOW.
Would a King Tiger rolling around, impervious to all fashions of magic and fantasy be any fun?

No, it doesn't fit, doesn't belong.

+1 staff of Holy Healing does not fit here in a game that is supposed to be very simulation oriented.

Is it any more magical than entire brigades and/or divisions vanishing into thin air, disappearing from one town, and reappearing in the next with no physical manifestation whatsoever in the game world?  I mean, bringing one guy back to life?  Childs play compared to warping a whole army through time and space I bet.

lol - fair point. however hybrid supply is taking steps in that direction. we've all long asked for convoys and visible supply of all types. will have to be AI driven though and that triggers a lot of 'realism' folks.

5 minutes ago, madrebel said:

lol - fair point. however hybrid supply is taking steps in that direction. we've all long asked for convoys and visible supply of all types. will have to be AI driven though and that triggers a lot of 'realism' folks.

That would add a whole new dimension to the air war though.

1 minute ago, minky said:

That would add a whole new dimension to the air war though.

oh i'm well aware. trains, convoys, supply ships ... would be amazing. 'soon'.

2 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

You're missing medics though, so I guess it's not as well simulated as you previously thought.
Big overlook, same with repairing. Other milsims have this, but you believe this game is above the medics who served.
Your contempt for anything not in your adaptive realistic scope is frankly disgusting. 

Edited by knucks

5 hours ago, knucks said:

This is how it could go since we're just throwing in ideas, increase infantry health, create limb damage if it isn't already added, do seperate hitboxes for the shoulders, upper and low arm, hands, legs, all that. So if you get shot in the leg, you lose your sprint until you're bandaged. If you take say a rifle round the the shoulder, that's gonna hurt and you're gonna start to bleed, you'll have to bandage and heal but from a medic, but how much better is that then just respawning, or going the rest of that life with a quarter of your stamina and faded vision? A bit too realistic, it is a game after all and every game has little games and medic and engineer roles are just as much their own games as HC is.
Really not that hard to do it terms of coding if you know what you're doing, and would be such a boost to infantry combat and tactics.

So your solution is to develop another class to provide to playerbase. Hmm, let me go to my money tree in the backyard and harvest it to get more coders in here. 

Return on Investment is how we prioritize the linited resources we have. 

You also mention the numbers when we launched early access on steam. These players were given premium access for a full month and when that month was up they decided to leave because they wanted everything for no fee. At that time several units were available to free to play and they still wanted more.

There are many y reasons that steam numbers dropped, this game is not for everyone no game is. It has a high learning curve, it's a game of patience not run and gun it's greatest strengths are it's greatest weakness. It's a tactical and skilled game. It's hard and that's what makes it fun.

Medics at best in this game would be able to stop bleeding and maybe adjust a rescue to and rtb for supply purposes. There is no way that a medic would be able to heal to full health anyone wounded. That's the difference with your reference to PlanetSide, it's not realistic. 

If someone shot you with a rifle in the leg or the arm  after your addreneline wore off you probably pass out. You sure as hell would not move forward in battle you would retreat off the line to get treatment.

1.36 is to reduce the dependency on HC and begin to hopefully create opportunities in low pop times.

oh i'm well aware. trains, convoys, supply ships ... would be amazing. 'soon'.

Really liking the idea of this. As long as the AI aren't dim! 

On the medic thing though, I've been wounded quite a lot, where my bloody. Bar has been reduced by some %. If that happens I do my upmost to RTB, get the soldier back into the pool and get out in some fresh boots. 

But that's just how I play it, I guess like trying to get to the field hospital. Others may choose to walk out in front of the nearest enemy lmg! 

1 hour ago, knucks said:

you believe this game is above the medics who served.

Do not make up your own words and try to put them in my mouth in order to try to further your cause.

1 hour ago, knucks said:

Big overlook, same with repairing. Other milsims have this

Yes, they do, like replacing the engine under fire, or repairing the tracks while being shot at
or replacing dead crew members while still being shot, repeatedly too in some of them.
And that is fine for them, but that is not what this game is or ever was about.

And not everything in military trappings is a Sim

will have to be AI driven though and that triggers a lot of 'realism' folks.

It should not, unless those people wish to sit in game 12 hours a day driving the convoys.
They would not find that terribly fun, and I would agree with then, that it would not be.

People will not even attack them all the time, some times there will be more pressing things.

AI delivers all supply now, from factory to connecting depots to end point, it just is not visible.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loathe the concept of a medic patching players up.  There is utterly nothing charming, realistic or anything like real world for medics that apply magic medicine packs to put an infantryman back in battle.

Best I would do for such a class is allowing for a safe despawn prior to bleeding out.

3 people like this

You know what was fun?

20 guys on the same TS channel heading to a town with armor and infantry each with a specific assignment.

15 hours ago, knucks said:

You're missing medics though, so I guess it's not as well simulated as you previously thought.
Big overlook, same with repairing. Other milsims have this, but you believe this game is above the medics who served.
Your contempt for anything not in your adaptive realistic scope is frankly disgusting. 

That this game is 'missing medics' is a matter of perception.  I happen to think that medics being able to patch soldiers up so they're as good as new is complete crap.  For the record, I also think that drinking a bunch of magical canteen water before beginning a run is utter balderdash.  The only purpose medics would serve in-game is to do that which is absolute crap, i.e. patching soldiers up so they're as good as new.  So, 'big overlook'?  I think not.

I would be in favor of Riflemen and Engineers having the ability/task of repairing tank tracks, though, as I believe that would add a bit to the teamwork end of things.

43 minutes ago, madrebel said:

My grandfather was a field surgeon that first put his boots/scrubs on the ground in operstion torch, hw then followed where ever ole blood n guts patton went.

Took almost a decade of requeste to find out what he did in ww2 as he was so mentally screwed up he refused to tell my dad and aunts what he did.

S! to your Grandfather, Madrebel.

I agree about no medics. If you are shot, you are no longer effective.

Regarding repairs, the only real effective battlefield repair would be track repairs... and that's not going to happen when there are enemies around. I would support only allowing track repair if there are no enemies within some specific distance (500M?)

I mean, in real life, if there's an LMG 400M away with a clear LOS on a tank crew replacing tracks, they won't survive.

12 minutes ago, caydel said:

I agree about no medics. If you are shot, you are no longer effective.

Regarding repairs, the only real effective battlefield repair would be track repairs... and that's not going to happen when there are enemies around. I would support only allowing track repair if there are no enemies within some specific distance (500M?)

I mean, in real life, if there's an LMG 400M away with a clear LOS on a tank crew replacing tracks, they won't survive.

Armor Recovery Vehicles could be a thing, one to each town or brigade, gets next to the damaged tank and allows a RES (so it goes into the spawnlist but its not full RTB points and immediate availability, simulating the repair phase).

Then the question is, can the ARV survive long enough for the despawn?

2 people like this

On repair vehicles, i'd probably just let it tow the non KIA vehicle back to rtb range (hopefully not trying it under fire)
It would probably be the simplest way, pull you back into rtb range, and you respawn repaired

2 people like this

Tournai yesterday near the end of the cap by the axis. Minus de matties zerg, fun cqb rifles vs rifles fights with nades, knives. 

2 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

On repair vehicles, i'd probably just let it tow the non KIA vehicle back to rtb range (hopefully not trying it under fire)
It would probably be the simplest way, pull you back into rtb range, and you respawn repaired

Before purpose-engineered "recovery vehicles", all the modeled armies performed off-road tank "repairing" (i.e. towing) using either heavy duty trucks, heavy duty halftracks, or tanks without turrets.

Generally, the tow vehicle had to have a track contact area and engine power comparable to the heaviest tanks it was to recover.

No sufficiently heavy duty trucks or halftracks are currently modeled. But, turrets could be removed from existing tank models and the undefined turret-space filled with a modeled "tarp" that (as part of the vehicle's backstory) covers storage space for tools, cables and chains, jacks and cutting torches.

Towing code already exists, so presumably the towing function could be added with little additional work.