jwilly

Infantry AA LMGs

29 posts in this topic

I don't think that an AA LMG would need to come out of the infantry pool. I think the easiest way is to simply model a tripod, and when you deploy it you can spin around 360 degrees and go completely vertical. Lot easier than dealing with a PPO IMHO. Make them only be able to fire when deployed and have only a very short sprint to simulate the heavier loadout of the tripod.

Now as far as effectiveness... as a pilot that has no problem strafing AA guns, I personally think it will be next to useless. BUT, I also realize that there is a big difference from infantry not having anything to defend themselves with, and at least having something. A lot of this game is pure psychology, and just the option of being able to fight back makes you feel less helpless. Its like a tailgunner on a bomber. Next to useless, but it makes me warm and fuzzy knowing I can at least try to fire back :)

1 person likes this

Well the thing with the PPO is mostly, it is simple and easy to pull off
was just an idea of something that might work with little involved
there are a few objects in game presently that the concept itself seems to work, just that the objects are never where a straffing ea is

To have the infantry actually deploy a 2ndary gun support
and then be able to traverse it 360 degrees, i think but cant be positive cause i dont work on the infantry models etc at all, but i think
aside from some extensive art and animation work, it might entail a decent little code project to facilitate.
Not saying it could not be done, but it does not seem like something that could be done in a real short term.

No, one probably would not kill much, but on the other hand, a pilot might think that maybe these 0 alt passes are not a good idea
when lots of little bullets from angry little hard to see guys who are made cause their truck just died for the 4th time start plinking things
in the general area of the cockpit windscreen.

One of them might get lucky with a 
Pilot hit in head
:) 

I agree that a PPO theoretically could be quickly done, but do the current deployed LMG have an effective movement arc to be able to properly engage EA?

Ny own view is if we are going to do it, do it right, and don't rush a stopgap solution. I can very easily see a ton of whining from players with the PPO. "OMG! CRS... Don't you play test these things before putting them in game?? I don't have enough traverse to engage EA!!!"

The classic example of a good intention by CRS to get something quickly into the game which then get slammed by the players. We've survived 18 years without it. Although I personally feel it should have been modelled back in 2003 when LMG were introduced, let do it right the first time out!

Without full vertical and 360 degree traverse I think we shouldn't either bother modelling the unit. S! 

1 person likes this