• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
rebel357

BOOTCAMP!

11 posts in this topic

This game needs something like it to totally  get the experience of the game.  If you could do a 10 min video, and its done right it would work just fine.  It should cover every aspect of how the game operates starting with the  UI,  Getting to a Battle is one of the most complaints ive herd.

Todays newb enters the game clueless as clueless gets.

Scenario 1

Newb>   wheres the fight

Side channel> its in Maub!

Newb> how do i get there?

Side channel>  spawn at 12e Brigade de Longshovelindahead.inf / Brigade/ Divison      

Newb> huh?

Side channel> Use dot join command!  .j rebel3578675309   

Newb>  wha?      Logs*

Scenario 2

Newb sees a mission in the Mission screen and notices a green arrow beside it.. spawns in,  he has spawned on a FMS  *forward mobile spawn for a Forward base, someone has already blown the base and left the FMS UP and hes MILES from any action so he sees a target icon on the map 3klm  away and he starts walking... when he gets too town hes devastated  too find No one there either, what kind of war game is this?  Wheres the war?

This happens almost daily as I Set up precamps on forward bases that require a FMS out in the middle of no where. I cant control who see's said mission and if im AFK that person could spawn and walk all day looking for a fight.

Senario 3

Newb sees same mission  and spawns into the spawn point and hears an opel approaching.  He is excited to FINALLY get to shoot an an enemy  even if its a TRUCK!  He fires standing beside his spawn point over and over and only can draw smoke yet the opel despawns.   Meanwhile 5 engineers are poised at the Forward base just a few more feet too run when the above happens. The opel driver screams INFANTRY AT Forward BASE!  The Engineers SCREAM at the NEWB!! WHY DID YOU SHOOT  YOU RUINED OUR SURPRISE ASSAULT!  We LET THE OPEL LEAVE!!    now..  NEWB gets mad and logs.  The Forward base remains in enemy hands and No ONE is Happy  cept them FB defenders.

BOOTCAMP//  Required watching b4 u enter the game world on "your" Day 1

Would be great for the game IMHO/

forgive this old rednecks grammar!    :P

5 people like this

Yes pushed for that for years.  Gave up.

Let me give you an idea of how promotion things can get screwed up when you suggest things and then it runs through a Ratprocess (this example is Rats 1.0).

I was the one who came up with the Heroes promo idea (heh, come to think of it, maybe it ultimately informed the Heroes and Generals name, dunno).

My conception of it was that specific players would be interviewed as their RL selves.  They talk a bit about their RLs, then when they come to the game they typically take their iconic unit, and become a hero that wins the day.

The graphic gimmick is that they would morph from their RL selves into the game equipment, and then we follow a 10-20 second mission snippet as they do their thing.

The emphasis was not the game, but the player and their relation to it, who they become and the effect they have being their badazz game selves.

By extension then, the prospective player sees themselves in the fellow gamer and can imagine themselves heroing it up.

Plus our players have tons of personality, that's attractive. 

Many are older so we would hit a different demographic then most with some of the player choices. 

Pick examples from each unit type so we highlight all the parts of the game and hit different interest communities.

Had a lot going for it IMO, pretty badazz hooks in many different directions.

I was busy pissing people off on other game matters, so I got a buddy with an in to present it.

What did we get?  The sad sad heroes campaign of a few 15-second actions.

Bleh.  No spectacular action, we don't do action movie that well.  Most importantly, no context either in game effect OR player buy-in for goals OR connecting with the players we had.

I dunno guy, good luck.  You're on the right track, but I don't see this getting done right.

Edited by Kilemall

Yup happened at an FB yesterday... Greentag spawns and starts shooting an opel leaving the fb with pistol...I said for gawd sakes let it go...nope wasn't goin to  happen.  Needless to say the mission was a scrub...very frustrating aspect  of gameplay these days...

4 hours ago, rebel357 said:

If you could do a 10 min video, and its done right it would work just fine.  It should cover every aspect of how the game operates starting with the  UI,  Getting to a Battle is one of the most complaints ive herd.

Todays newb enters the game clueless as clueless gets.

BOOTCAMP//  Required watching b4 u enter the game world on "your" Day 1

This is probably the best forward looking suggestion I've seen since I've been trolling the forums. I think a boot camp with game based instructional videos would solve a LOT of problems with the steep - more like perpendicular - learning curve in this crazy game. 

I recall the mandatory training, a number of years back. What would be different about this "new" idea, other than the name?

1 hour ago, jwilly said:

I recall the mandatory training, a number of years back. What would be different about this "new" idea, other than the name?

We had completing mandatory training upon releasing on Steam btw. The idea was we'd keep more people by teaching them.

What we decided was to go back to optional training, and if we could, implement more "DURING GAME PLAY" training tips to guide users in the middle of their selected type of game play. This would be less intrusive to letting the user do what they want and give them the tips they need to succeed.

How about we ask ryman8989 to do a training video series, from basic weapon operation, to chat and map functions, to CPs, to FBs, and then basic logistics?

It wouldn't take any more coding and Ryan's a presentable figure. Just give him incentives to do so.

13 hours ago, rodsantos said:

How about we ask ryman8989 to do a training video series, from basic weapon operation, to chat and map functions, to CPs, to FBs, and then basic logistics?

It wouldn't take any more coding and Ryan's a presentable figure. Just give him incentives to do so.

We have Hyoslvr doing a great job doing this already. Here's one published this week:

3 people like this

IMO If rank1 players spawned only at ABs of defensive AOs it would be much easier for them to learn the game step by step.

Updated wiki and good tutorials are indeed badly needed but are in the works. 

But don’t forget we will soon have to rewrite most of the rules as the UI and some gameplay rules will drastically be overhauled 

New UI?!?  Hallelujah!  The current UI is a real PITA!  I hope (and pray) this effort is more successful than the last one we have been stuck with for years!

1 person likes this