• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
potthead

Rain Rain Go Away

Everybody Wants to PLAY... RAIN RAIN GO AWAY   45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to see weather sacrificed (which is 98% of time off approximately) be fully removed until such time as new weather model available to help pilot retention/return?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

So I was reading the other thread.. cant remember about what and after page 3 or 4 it became a weather channel... clouds and metrics of them and philosophy of pilot psychology etc...

My daughter is 2.5 years old.... she has this song "Rain Rain Go Away... come again another day.... EVERYBODY WANTS TO PLAY.... RAIN RAIN GO AWAY..................."

So sing it with me if u like RAIN fully GONE from WWIIONLINE... (or Weather) 

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY......EveryBody Wants to PLAY .... RAIN RAIN GO AWAY... 

If it will bring players (pilots back) And 98% of time it is deactivated beacuse it is NOT awesome ... .then why not just get rid of it and make a it a Bring Back some players move? :)

Do you want Rain gone???

2 people like this

I have not voted yet as I am not quite sure myself :D .. what do u think?? ... Rain ... a little.. no rain at all? ....  hmmm  will I miss it? ...  not sure.. hard question .. lets see what the majority says... 

I wouldn't miss it. 

Edited by Capco
1 person likes this

I like the rain once in a while - It gives a little bit of sound and air cover for vehicle drivers. - (and I drive a vehicle a lot more than I fly).

Actually, I wouldn’t mind seeing heavy rain once in a while too - causing vehicles to slow down or bog down in mud off road sometimes.

In general, I like weather effects.

Edited by krazydog

If it's off 98% of the time, then how exactly would that help pilot retention? I say keep it because there's no guarantee of new weather effects any time soon.

8 hours ago, potthead said:

So I was reading the other thread.. cant remember about what and after page 3 or 4 it became a weather channel... clouds and metrics of them and philosophy of pilot psychology etc...

My daughter is 2.5 years old.... she has this song "Rain Rain Go Away... come again another day.... EVERYBODY WANTS TO PLAY.... RAIN RAIN GO AWAY..................."

So sing it with me if u like RAIN fully GONE from WWIIONLINE... (or Weather) 

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY......EveryBody Wants to PLAY .... RAIN RAIN GO AWAY... 

If it will bring players (pilots back) And 98% of time it is deactivated beacuse it is NOT awesome ... .then why not just get rid of it and make a it a Bring Back some players move? :)

Do you want Rain gone???

I want Dinker back. Can we get a poll on that?

6 hours ago, knucks said:

If it's off 98% of the time, then how exactly would that help pilot retention? I say keep it because there's no guarantee of new weather effects any time soon.

why is it off 98% of the time? surely a good feature that adds to the game isn't something you'd only run (or in this case risk running) only 2% of the time.

3 people like this

oh and fwiw, polls aren't going to work. too many ground players will vote to protect their 'fun' at all costs. since they grossly out number pilots at the moment, you're going to get predictably skewed results. which btw, is the same thing that caused weather in the first place. killer/rafter argued the ground players wanted weather. killer also argued he was tired of 'disneyland everyday' and refused to listen to reason. ground 'fun' was selected as more important for the game than pilot's fun.

how about i try another route to inspire ground pounders to think a bit.

some ground mostly players enjoy FB guarding, most don't. i dont have stats for this but based on many many many threads over the years it seems to be a general rule. its pretty boring for infantry/tanks to sit around defending FBs.

who then really enjoys/ed guarding FBs? AA gunners. now, AA gunning mostly players are very few and far between however, AA gunning used to be the thing dedicated pilots did when they weren't flying. even jg52, staunch pilot first players would jump in AA guns at FBs to shoot down other planes and at times, shoot the crap out of sappers trying to take down the FB.

now we've got better HE, and gun shields on bofors. wouldn't it be nice if a few guys were just sitting at the FB, happier than a pig in [censored], defending your force projection point? this used to be SOP, FBs used to stay up a lot longer than they do now.

when pilots were chased off, willing FB defenders went with them. you need pilots flying to justify sitting at FBs in AA guns hoping to shoot them down ... unforeseen consequences.

2 people like this

Also, I think a better question to ask is if people will unsubscribe in the absence of weather.  That's the pertinent information in regards to getting pilots to subscribe.

As one of the more vocal air guys, how do you feel about this @mingus?

Every action has a reaction. Be it weather or the Matildarama we have in game now. Axis attacks are pretty much INF only now if any Brit brigade is in town. Cause it's pointless to spawn an Axis tank now in tier 0 or 1. Cause afterall even the 3h needs to get close to be effective.

So we get rain 2% of the time but not all over the map from what I have gathered.  I have spawned in from a town with rain to a town without rain ( I could be mistaken here) maybe it was just that I spawned in again and it has stopped.

But I stand by what I said ,anything that CRS does will have a reaction. Be it gun shields and players unsubbing cause they don't like it, to Axis Tankers unsubbing cause tier 0 and 1 is pretty pointless as one .  To Allied players unsubbing or jump sides cause the map looks to be won by Axis again and so on and on and on.

I think CRS is damned if they do or don't do. One way they will loose players in others they will gain them. 

39 minutes ago, madrebel said:

oh and fwiw, polls aren't going to work. too many ground players will vote to protect their 'fun' at all costs. since they grossly out number pilots at the moment,

It is a very CLOSE call right now.. 6 v 7

I think some arguments you have put up made a lot of sense.. It swayed my vote against weather.. and for a while Krazydog argument swayed my vote to keeping the 2% of time weather (I drive trucks more than anything)

anyways still curious to see.... at the very least I personally would not unsub if weather was turned off for a while. So after long deliberation,I have voted a YES to "make rain go away"

1 person likes this

I used to fly way back in the day........no longer have an interest so much so I am mainly ground.  Whatever they did to the sky or why they did I dont know (fishbowl) but it really miffed off a lot of pilots.  Rain.........while its an interesting addition and I dont mind it, if it can be PROVEN people would come back then I vote turn it off and fix or revert the fishbowl effect to the bright blue sky and clouds we had until it can be looked at.

2% of the time shouldnt drive people away but if the fishbowl can be fixed at the same time I say turn it off, revert to the skys of the past until it can be properly looked at.

Edited by bmw
1 person likes this

i'll be happy to be wrong on that potthead - and thank you for the support. my goal is to deliver really great news along with the air fixes in the pipe and 1.36 - make it the most positive email blast possible. ideally, if there is a baited hook in the same email promising to commit to trueSKY (at a later date) if we the existing players and the would be returning players chip in to license trueSKY then every aspect of the game wins and we start rebuilding the playerbase.

its been over 10 years since the weather/fishbowl caused a pilot exodus - and still NOTHING comes close to what ww2ol offers. pilots in other games that currently have a playerbase like warthunder all long for a more authentic experience (german p47s and spits lol), the experience only we can actually deliver. there is upside here, big upside.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Capco said:

Also, I think a better question to ask is if people will unsubscribe in the absence of weather.  That's the pertinent information in regards to getting pilots to subscribe.

As one of the more vocal air guys, how do you feel about this @mingus?

Been saying this forever...

How many subs did we lose because it was sunny all the time vs how many did we lose because of the weather?  

LOL

Should've been removed eons ago. In fact I have no idea how it passed beta to go live.

@OHM - how many ‘players’ in war are paying to play war for enjoyment? Just curious as in Vietnam there was a draft that if you dodged they put you in prison. If only you could draft players or else risk their freedom ...

from all your stats and unsub forms - how many wrote “its too sunny” as the reason they left? How many left over fishbowl/weather? Just curious.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, madrebel said:

@OHM - how many ‘players’ in war are paying to play war for enjoyment? Just curious as in Vietnam there was a draft that if you dodged they put you in prison. If only you could draft players or else risk their freedom ...

from all your stats and unsub forms - how many wrote “its too sunny” as the reason they left? How many left over fishbowl/weather? Just curious.

I thought it was just a humorous and relevant video...  given it was forrest gump dont think it was going for realism type war :D

1 person likes this

*** why is it off 98% of the time?

I think the real issue is you.  Why would anyone whine so much about something that happens 2% of the time?
I live in the desert, and it rains more than 2% of the time here.

Weather is real, just like ballistics and should be in game.

I think you have an issue if 2% gets under your skin.

Fishbowl and viz ranges, those might be real issues; 2% rain isn't.  In fact, statistically, if something is less that 5% it basically don't matter.

Edited by delems
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, delems said:

*** why is it off 98% of the time?

I think the real issue is you.  Why would anyone whine so much about something that happens 2% of the time?
I live if the desert, and it rains more than 2% of the time here.

Weather is real, just like ballistics and should be in game.

I think you have an issue if 2% gets under your skin.

Fishbowl and viz ranges, those might be real issues; 2% rain isn't.  In fact, statistically, if something is less that 5% it basically don't matter.

then by your logic, disabling it also shouldn't matter either.

perhaps think about it this way. when your ead about war, and war stories, specifically those related to bad weather - did the soldiers who were forced to be there enjoy it? they had no choice, it was be there or draft dodge and suffer those consquences ...

if people forced to be there hated it, perhaps you should be concerned with how you represent real world phenomena in a voluntary entertainment product. just saying, perhaps some more thought should be given in these areas.

The rain is a nice immersive bit, but it only seems to be in full effect once one side is closer to its enemy's factories. Maybe that's just a coincidence.  

When weather is on, does it affect the whole map?

To me, the ideal thing, as appointed above would be that bad weather would affect only an area of the whole map and it would affect, not only air but also ground too like slower speed for wheel vehicles outside roads.

This would have strategic effects

It would affect operations and where to AO.

You could choose to make a resupply using bad weather to cover you.

Etc

Additionally, bad weather should be seen in map as a new layer like radar do air guys can move to the shining part.

Edited by piska250

Just to get everyone on the same page:

-weather in its current form needs improvement 

-improving it takes time and resources 

-in between now and the next iteration of a weather system that pilots would accept alongside ground pounders, we should consider removing the weather component in order to maximize revenue for CRS.

That’s all this thread and poll are about.