• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
bluelad

Temporary/day squads

3 posts in this topic

This is not a suggestion to do away with squads. It’s an extra idea.

First let me tell you my situation with the game. I don’t want to be in a permanent squad, my spare time isn’t rigid and I can’t nor do I want to turn up to a squad night every week, this may show me in a light as antisocial non team player and  also most of the time for me it isn’t practical to be on Discord,  so now double anti social non team player, and as I’m on a mac theres no overlay so I can’t see who is speaking, so you may well ask why do I like playing.

It’s a good game that I like playing.  I try to communicate via keyboard as much as possible and if I haven’t marked something its because I haven’t heard it or seen it…most of the time ..sometimes I'm just tired.

But when I do play I would like an in game option to group up as a temporary squad for a short while doing FB busts  etc beyond one mission, but I don’t want to be part of a club that has to meet once a week to train. I just want to play, when I want and not feel any pressure to join in when I log in, sometimes when I log in Ive had a bad day and sometimes a good day..  but if I come on I’d like to just chill out and not chat on a mic but help out where I can. I absolutely love playing this game.  It might be helpful as well for HC to see in game theres a group of two or three players that they have that are currently working together as a ‘day squad’ to send a message to rather than have to ask everyone in game if some of them could go bust a particular fb. Permanent squads are a great idea but, it’s not for me as I don’t want any more people in my life I might let down :)

So without all the extra writing

An option to move a group of two or more people to keep together in game for as long as they wish that can  grow and shrink (join/leave) during a game session, that HC can see and communicate with and also other people can see perhaps. This might also encourage things like towing ATGs and other small team based activities that I read in the forums about that people miss doing in game. I think it would be a good way of helping new players and players that are less confident with their game knowledge. A separate comms channel like a squad but not with the pressure of when you log in  you have to team up with the same folk and they know you’ve logged on, but you can send a day squad message from to side channel etc and when youve finished the session there's no pressure to be that team every time you play. 

It’s just a starting point of an idea and probably a broken one but hopefully it will spur on a better idea if there’s a conversation about it.

3 people like this

Good comms here @bluelad, thanks for taking a moment to write them up. I am glad you enjoy our game so much, that makes me very pleased :) !

One thing I could suggest for you is to hop in on Discord and see if you can hang out with a Squad and support them. Or, tune channel 10, which is a custom channel (yellow icon) in game. That is typically the "Ground Forces" more serious global channel. Side chat is a decent starting point but the unfortunate part of side chat is that it's become really a "dump all" for communications, for better and mostly worse.

In time, beyond 1.36's implementation (the very anticipated hybrid supply which will change game play quite a bit), is integrated voice communications. We have planned for that to provide an in game hierarchy / structure approach that will unite members on missions quite a bit. I think that alone will be one of the single most important implementations of the last decade, if ever, if I may be bold enough to say that.

I know of other games that do temporary grouping and I've seen it done well, just not in our current list of cards at this time because we have some other development priorities we've committed to that we intend to deliver on.

Again thanks for playing and I'm really glad to see such productive communications from a new player. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!

S! 

1 person likes this

Actually there is a tool that is in game that you could use now- numbered channels.

Presently they are used for branch channels such as 30 for naval on both sides, and in the early years of the game virtual divisions and brigades, with squads agreeing to work together in a logical grouping, would be assigned channels to comm on.  So your squad might not be on, but guys from other squads that you regularly work with might be.

But another category relevant to your suggestion was adhoc groupings that would take an open number channel and make it their own, through sheer force of promoting it ingame and then reliably providing action.

The most well-known of this sort of thing was Channel 94, run by Deadlock.  He wasn't HC or any of that, he'd just say he was on, get people tuned to 94, and go pick an attack.  Later it became a proper squad known as the 94th, but it was originally built on one guy and one channel.

You or anyone else with enough personality and organization can do that right now, no coding.

1 person likes this