• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
dre21

CS Tanks and Bridges

13 posts in this topic

What are the chances to let our CS Tanks be able to destroy bridges?

All Nations have one or 2 now , French got the CharB1 , Brits got the Matilda and the Germans got the Stugs and 4D .

It should take a huge amount of HE ammo so a Truck or ammo cache should be needed . It would add something new to the game , instead of only planes being able to take down bridges.

Thoughts?

2 people like this

Overall, I like it.  It opens options up. 

Although Axis will have a slight edge here with the 88 (can set up outside of EWS range and fire effectively enough to still hit a bridge; without EWS there's little to no reason that 88 will see EI or EA).  

One might say the Allies are better at bombing bridges, although the He111 and Stuka are both excellent bridge bombing platforms.    

I didn't think about the 88 at all , yes there might be a slight edge , but what is the EWS range for Armor?

Cause I can tell ya that I can drop HE from Stug at the range of 1500+ too no need for the 88.

I haven't used the Matilda CS much so not sure how it would fare, I know the Char would do well its just a pain to aim the fixed gun.

I think overall it would kinda balance , yes we got the 111 but no jettison feature ( I think Allies still have that not sure )  the Stuka sure but it's one Bomb plus 4 babies, but the Stuka was ment and build to do such tasks.

CS tanks can already damage/destroy bridges; all HE damages them.  DDs can too.

Unless something just recently changed.

7 minutes ago, delems said:

That's kind of what I was thinking too, but I've never seen someone take out a bridge in this manner either.  It's always been engineers.  

If a bridge is attacked, shouldn't it set off some kind of EWS. Maybe some kind of icon on the map?

I think engineer charges get a large joules-of-damage-energy multiplier because randomly placed explosions on a concrete-decked bridge aren't going to do much beyond roughening the concrete surface. To break a beam and eventually drop a bridge, you need to locate the blast in contact with a structural member in tension...or ideally, half on each side, offset, detonated simultaneously. Engineers can do that, at least with a brief time to place the charge optimally. Bombs and shells, not so much.

Edited by jwilly

43 minutes ago, jwilly said:

I think engineer charges get a large joules-of-damage-energy multiplier because randomly placed explosions on a concrete-decked bridge aren't going to do much beyond roughening the concrete surface. To break a beam and eventually drop a bridge, you need to locate the blast in contact with a structural member in tension...or ideally, half on each side, offset, detonated simultaneously. Engineers can do that, at least with a brief time to place the charge optimally. Bombs and shells, not so much.

Air strikes are so ineffective on bridges. 

Edited by minky

That's not a WWII general purpose bomb, as currently modeled in-game.

But, no doubt aerial bombs are much more damaging than 3" or 3.5" HE shells. Maybe as a first estimate, as the ratio of square roots of charge weight. A WWII 75mm shell might have 1.5 pounds of HE. A 500 pound thin case bomb might have 200 to 250 pounds of HE.

Edited by jwilly

11 hours ago, goreblimey said:

French only have r35 in the inf brigades.

Well I guess the French will have to fly or drive a Char up . 

Axis have no Tank that can kill the Matilda in tier 0 or even tier 1 without having to get real close .

See 2 can play that game .

11 hours ago, delems said:

Was unaware of this.

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

Well I guess the French will have to fly or drive a Char up . 

Axis have no Tank that can kill the Matilda in tier 0 or even tier 1 without having to get real close .

See 2 can play that game .

You asked for thoughts. 

You’re asking for a capability that is available to all axis brigades, not so the allies. Spot the problem.

No need to act like a spoilt child.

1 person likes this