dusty1108

PLEASE PLEASE DO 1944 THIS MAP

24 posts in this topic

CRS

Please do a map in 1944 with the Americans and Brits versus the Germans. I really believe that it will bring in a good group of new players. Let's think outside the box and supply full spawn list with limited historical supply and see how it goes just for one map. Then you guys can use the player data to see if the numbers go up or not. Just tired of not playing with any of the late war weapons including the later infantry weapons. Please try this just for one map maybe do a poll and see what the player base has to say. 

you mean 43? only a tiny amount of 44 era gear currently modeled. fwiw i'd say sure, why not - tier0 is pretty boring.

when you say limited historical supply - what exactly are you meaning?

I like this thread. I think CRS should give it a shot one of these campaigns. I think most of the player base would really get behind it to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, dfire said:

I like this thread. I think CRS should give it a shot one of these campaigns. I think most of the player base would really get behind it to be honest. 

I'll allow it, if it means dfire stays as my sidekick next camp. 

Edited by gretnine

How would the game be structured...the Germans and Allies as they existed in historical 1944, with the Luftwaffe substantially defeated already, and the Kriegsmarine reduced to submarines and night/storms-only coastal boats? Or, the Germans at a theoretical full strength...however that would be determined?

And, would the Allies have the weapons they had historically, including minimal AA since there were hardly any German air attacks to defend against, and minimally challenged night and day strategic bombers, and massive ground attack forces partly made up of aircraft that likely would have been air superiority fighters if the Germans had presented a threat in that regard?

When will the fighting take place? The game world and models won't yet support an invasion game. Once the Allies are onshore in force, no defense in France is plausible except as a delaying action. The badly damaged Germans ran for the Westwall as quickly as they could; the Allies were restrained not by the combat-incapable Germans, but by their own supply system's limitations.

Edited by jwilly

37 minutes ago, madrebel said:

or we could just use the budget system scotsman just built. 

That's just a tool, and wouldn't answer any of the questions above. What's the fight, and when?

And, the budget system to date has been used with nominally equal budgets...but in 1944 the historical western-Allies "budget" was several times that of the Germans, and perhaps 2/3 of the German budget was sent east. Would the game be made equally winnable by both sides, and if so, what history would be changed?

I've been toying with the idea of having mini-campaigns with set major/minor victory conditions that are both strategic and tactical that would occur in between our Tier0-onwards Grand Campaigns. Pick a year or historically-plausible scenario, adjust the map starting towns and side distribution, and let it play out over a set time limit (say 7-10 days).

For example:

Operation Market Garden: Axis starts to the N, Allies to the S. with appropriate spawn pools. Certain towns/bridges are predefined key areas to control.

Axis Major Strategic Victory: no key areas held by Allies

Axis Minor Strategic Victory: Nijmegen and Arnhem held by Axis

Allied Major Strategic Victory: all key areas held by Allies

Allied Minor Strategic Victory: Nijmegen or Arnhem held by Allies

Axis Tactical Victory: Arnhem and Nijmegen bridges destroyed

Allied Tactical Victory: flanking bridges/town held by Allies

This breaks things up a bit, allows players who would like to see more late-tier stuff to be able to use it, and gives the "losing side" something to fight for since the outcome isn't simply win/loss, so even if you are on the retreat you can know that the clock is ticking down and you can still hold the opposing side back to score either a tactical victory or at least force a minor victory on the opposing forces. This could be applied to starting in any tier, or even any "what if scenario" such as a hypothetical French attack in Tier0 Alscace-Lorraine across the Rhine.

1 person likes this

all of it. no point doing any further development if you're just going to assume the allies always win in the end.

We've done this before, where we go straight to the entry of the US forces and people usually get a bit ticked about missing the earlier tiers. 

3 people like this

Here is one

Area:
Namur
Profonderville
Ahnee
Dinant
Hastier
Givet
Spontin
Ciney
Feshaux
Flavion
Phillipville
Mettet
Sambreville
Andenne
Mariemberg
Viraux
Beauraing
(might need adjusted for supply links)

Airfields:
Betrix
Maubeuge

Infantry:
Bolt rifles
ATR
Engineer

Armor:
PZIIc
R35
Vickers C

Fighters:
H75
BF110 C

Bombers:
Blen MK IV
Stuka

Ships:
FMB

Trucks:
Opel Blitz
Laffly
Bedford

All non listed units are not present
:)
Call it the Weenie War 

Ok, you can all dump the boiling oil now

1 person likes this

On 2/4/2019 at 4:27 AM, XOOM said:

We've done this before, where we go straight to the entry of the US forces and people usually get a bit ticked about missing the earlier tiers. 

Can't you make things more interesting like having the potential to have a new tier 2.5 with snow for a week with like 1 heavy tank per armor brigade.

This could eventually lead to the battle of the bulge late 1944/45 scenario.

Edited by pbveteran

Having  early war and late war campaigns and alternating them would be nice. Say 5 early war camps and then 1 late war. ( Just to keep the traditionalists happy)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, pbveteran said:

Can't you make things more interesting like having the potential to have a new tier 2.5 with snow for a week with like 1 heavy tank per armor brigade.

This could eventually lead to the battle of the bulge late 1944/45 scenario.

Odd you phrase it this way, at least 150 tiger2s took part in the ardennes offensive. Thats a big difference between 1 heavy tank per flag leading to a presumed offensive push that contained about 25% of all tiger 2s ever produced. Of the total combined tank strength, the tiger 2 was about 1/4 of the total.

The germans hit that area with essentially everything they had. Around 1500 tanks and tank destroyers, 450ish being tanks.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:27 PM, XOOM said:

Do nothing...people get ticked.

Do something...people get ticked.

2 people like this

I’d like to see several different start options for campaign variety:

1. Hypothetical 1939 full-scale invasion of Germany. 

2. With the upcoming map expansion - May 1940 with Germany starting on its boarder attacking into the Low Countries. 

3. Standard set up

4. If Germans push back Allies from any of the up above, the option to reset the map for a 1943/44 Operation Overlord with US/UK forces being the main fighting force. (German armour is prevented from reacting right away to give Allies time to make a foothold) 

5. Operations set ups that last a full week. Things like Operation Market Garden and or the Battle of Sudan, think a long running special event with no resupply and historical TOE. Track the wins and losses just like a normal campaign. 

1 hour ago, forrest said:

Do nothing...people get ticked.

Do something...people get ticked.

That's pretty much how things go unfortunately. 

2 people like this

13 hours ago, madrebel said:

Odd you phrase it this way, at least 150 tiger2s took part in the ardennes offensive. Thats a big difference between 1 heavy tank per flag leading to a presumed offensive push that contained about 25% of all tiger 2s ever produced. Of the total combined tank strength, the tiger 2 was about 1/4 of the total.

The germans hit that area with essentially everything they had. Around 1500 tanks and tank destroyers, 450ish being tanks.

Yeah but we got no panther and I have more fun with no heavy tanks than with them.. The Pz IVG doesn't scale well with CH 7 and S76.

Guys,

What I am saying is just mix in a 1944 map maybe every other reset. I am not asking for historical numbers for each side since the allied side would vastly outnumber the Germans by 1944 esp tanks and air power. ALL I am saying is I get tired of playing French most of the time and hardly using all the newer weapon types since they never are even available till the last days of the map. I just want to mix things up and see what happens to the player base numbers by trying a later map with all the late tiers in the game which includes all the inf weapons as well. 

we can just start the campaign in tier 3 and have no tier progression.  There would been still French and Brit units on the map but mostly US units 

4 hours ago, OHM said:

we can just start the campaign in tier 3 and have no tier progression.  There would been still French and Brit units on the map but mostly US units 

But why not have a time-limited (7 day) mini campaign with victory conditions? You could start in any tier and have any scenario, including hypothetical, that can be imagined.

Players who like all the tiers (like me) still have the usual grand campaign. Those who want later tier stuff also get to play but it's not locked in like that for 2+ months.

Well i am not sure how i feel about shaking it up like this. May be worth a try. Absolute worst case scenario is we hear some fresh new criticisms and excuses being offered up instead of the time-tested, tired old ones we hear every single campaign.

To followup on the other idea. You could even give players the option to choose via the ingame poll. So for a hypothetical example.

After Campaign 160 there would be a short 2 day intermission, followed by a mini-campaign w/victory conditions, followed by another intermission, and then campaign 161.

Poll options (ingame):

-Battle of the Bulge (Tier 3)

- Zeelands Battle (Tier 3)

- France Invades Germany (Tier 1)

- Dieppe Landings (Tier 2)

- Degense of Sedan (Tier 0)

The players all vote and we go with whatever gets the most votes. To keep it fresh that option drops out of the running the next go round and get cycled out with another option.

Added benefit is that CRS can use these mini-campaigns to test out new spawn lists, capture timers, etc.