snappled

Kill Tier 0

30 posts in this topic

There are a few players that enjoy fighting with nothing but a knife, a 2# ATG, and a truck. But most players look for more advanced equipment, and it sure seems like we spend a helluva lot of time in tiers 0 and 1, and practically none at tier 4.  And it's not like the basic kit is no longer available in later tiers for those guys that like defending CP's with nothing but a Webley revolver.

My real beef here? "Merry Christmas, here is your new Firefly". Actual number of times I've been able to get one during campaign action since then ..... once.

Mind you, that is more times than I've had an opportunity to use the Blenheim torpedo bomber in action ...... that is another piece of gear that is rarely ever available ...or if available, of no use.

S!

3 people like this

Scenario-oriented mini-campaigns that are 7-10 days long max with victory conditions between the Grand Campaigns. Lets give them a try!

For the record I like Tier 0 S!

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, snappled said:

There are a few players that enjoy fighting with nothing but a knife, a 2# ATG, and a truck. 

I almost spit out my drink when I read this. LOL

I don't mind changing it up from time to time.  If you think about it, the most played tier is Tier 0, since every campaign starts in it.  If then campaign last to T3 and beyond, then T3 is played out indefinitely until a winner is declared (which in some cases last longer than Tiers 0, 1, and 2 combined).  The tiers that sees the least action overall is probably Tier 2.  

As to the BlenIV-T, it's never in the lists.  It's only available for special events afaik (Germans don't have a German variant modeled).  

59 minutes ago, snappled said:

Mind you, that is more times than I've had an opportunity to use the Blenheim torpedo bomber in action ...... that is another piece of gear that is rarely ever available ...or if available, of no use.

That is cause it was a special event unit, for the channel dash event if i remember right?
It just isnt in normal spawn lists, it looks odd and confusing to see axis and allied planes of all the same type on a normal basis i'd imagine.

I don't like fighting with a knife, that's Ryman
he will run out and stop an entire attack with a knife, don't ask how, some jedi voodoo or something

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Capco said:

As to the BlenIV-T, it's never in the lists.  It's only available for special events afaik (Germans don't have a German variant modeled).  

....did not know this ... always just thought we seldom got to it in the tiers, and while still fighting on the coast somewhere.

But I still want a Firefly at the same time that Tigers and IIIg;'s arrive. I feel like that is the best piece of kit we (Allies) have ever been given .... and with the current deployment schedule for the thing, we will hardly ever see it.

<S>

Edited by snappled

1 hour ago, snappled said:

But I still want a Firefly at the same time that Tigers and IIIg;'s arrive.

We adhere to historical introduction dates. With less movement of the front (or more terrain) the campaigns will last longer. Both of that is coming.

Tier0 is the best tier. Raw skills prime with good attrition. My favorite.

4 people like this

11 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

That is cause it was a special event unit, for the channel dash event if i remember right?
It just isnt in normal spawn lists, it looks odd and confusing to see axis and allied planes of all the same type on a normal basis i'd imagine.

Shouldn’t be too hard to put torpedoes on a HE111 and make torpedo bombers part of the standard kit.

3897222032_45c5e4ae9f.jpg

Or this in teir 3.

Edited by GrAnit

Tier 0 is why I was interested in WW2OL when a I bought it years ago. 

2 people like this

10 hours ago, GrAnit said:

Shouldn’t be too hard to put torpedoes on a HE111

Physically?  no.
But i think the HE-111 might find itself at a real handicap in that role?
Given the limitations in dropping a torpedo, the HE-111 would probably be at a disadvantage?
She aint the fastest jitterbug dancer in the hall :) Ships guns probably take her down too easy?

As an event thing, having a torpedo stuka D4 maybe would be a bit more survivable?
It can at least move around and try to dodge AA fire, maybe?

Wonder why they did not do that for the channel dash actually?
Maybe not enough time or something?

1 hour ago, Merlin51 said:

Physically?  no.
But i think the HE-111 might find itself at a real handicap in that role?
Given the limitations in dropping a torpedo, the HE-111 would probably be at a disadvantage?
She aint the fastest jitterbug dancer in the hall :) Ships guns probably take her down too easy?

As an event thing, having a torpedo stuka D4 maybe would be a bit more survivable?
It can at least move around and try to dodge AA fire, maybe?

Wonder why they did not do that for the channel dash actually?
Maybe not enough time or something?

The He-111 was a poor torpedo bomber because of its slowness, partly offset by carrying two fish. It was most effective at night, when the target was somewhat illuminated and it wasn't.

My recollection of the Channel Dash period is that it was a struggle to get just one plane converted for that functionality, and the Blen was the most "generic" of the available planes.

15 minutes ago, sajuk said:

The BF-110 or the Stuka is a better Torpedo bomber.

I'd take the stuka (assuming the D still has a dive brake?)
Come in high, boom vertical down to torp alt, hit dive brake, level out, drop, and get the hell out trying to avoid flak.

16 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Come in high, boom vertical down to torp alt, hit dive brake, level out, drop, and get the hell out trying to avoid flak.

You’d rip the torpedo off the mountings doing that.

21 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Going way to fast for a torpedo drop cowboy.

11 minutes ago, minky said:

Going way to fast for a torpedo drop cowboy.

Dont think the dive brake will help with that?
Maybe not, i'd give it a shot though.

16 minutes ago, madrebel said:

When stress induced failure comes in, that will probably be the least of important things i rip off i fear.
My flying is scary, in a bad way :)

1 person likes this

On 2/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Merlin51 said:

I don't like fighting with a knife, that's Ryman
he will run out and stop an entire attack with a knife, don't ask how, some jedi voodoo or something

I lol'd 

only because somehow it's happened on more than one occasion

That is why tier0, needs more toys , every game out there has Tigers and and the other big Tanks, no other game has a playable Laffy 15 ( yes I like that unit  it gives you a challenge ).

That's why I would like to see the PNZjgr1 and other tanks on both sides that were common in the war that other games really don't provide. 

T0 is the penance we serve to reach T2 and beyond, :( 

Happy to try out the new T3 start this map!

S! Ian

On 6.2.2019 at 2:46 AM, madrebel said:

well ... then Spitfires and DB7s should break apart too with their insane maneuvers ! :D

1 person likes this

Tier 0 used to be the best Tier ... biggest fun ... most balanced imo. not anymore

18 minutes ago, undercova said:

well ... then Spitfires and DB7s should break apart too with their insane maneuvers ! :D

spits aren't really doing anything they couldn't ... there are issues with it but for the most part how it flys isn't the big issue.

however, since we're all about history, how come hurricanes don't out number spitfires 3:1 throughout '1940' and 2:1 throughout '1941'? we're forced to use a ton of Pz2s cause 'history' yet that same history doesn't get extended to the RaF. further, the germans had a 2:1 bomber advantage in '1940' yet the allies have tons of bombers in tier0. france should have mostly h75s as stand ins for the mb150 and ms406 yet they aren't forced to use that.

its ... a real curious application of 'history' atm.

The key here is to expand T0, which BMBM is working on :) 

As far as Tier3 is concerned I think it is nice to be able to play with late tier weapons, and I'm sure the Allies appreciate the US having a strong presence.

I am still biased to my minicampaign idea. Think that would be the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, madrebel said:

spits aren't really doing anything they couldn't ... there are issues with it but for the most part how it flys isn't the big issue.

however, since we're all about history, how come hurricanes don't out number spitfires 3:1 throughout '1940' and 2:1 throughout '1941'? we're forced to use a ton of Pz2s cause 'history' yet that same history doesn't get extended to the RaF. further, the germans had a 2:1 bomber advantage in '1940' yet the allies have tons of bombers in tier0. france should have mostly h75s as stand ins for the mb150 and ms406 yet they aren't forced to use that.

its ... a real curious application of 'history' atm.

Not much point forcing the allies to endure the historical TOE and doctrine that axis are labouring under. We need more allies in game not even less.

S! ian