Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delems

Town terrain changes.

33 posts in this topic

Quick Q Merlin. Any plan to add an extra ground tileset for the cities? I always found it really weird how urban-looking buildings awkwardly site right on top of a grass texture and lack things like sidewalks etc. Minor issue but was wondering if there was any plan/discussion to make that kind of addition.

11 hours ago, Capco said:

Think of it this way.  If you drew an imaginary line across the map that cut Brussels into eastern and western halves, any connecting TOWN that is east of that dividing line should have their link in Brussels NE or Brussels SE (and vice versa).  There are four towns east of that dividing line (Mechelen, Leuven, Wavre, and Waterloo) and three towns west of it (Dendermond, Aalst, and Halle).  

You have to consider though how is point A linking to point B
Where are the roads connecting them.

It waterloo's case, it's supply road enters in the SW part.

God willing, someday we will be able to resurrect the supply system that was never completed with the visual transports.
And the trucks coming to and from waterloo, you would see coming up and down that road on the west side.

8 hours ago, delems said:

Maybe I just got unlucky in picking some towns like Haybes and Gedinne.

I did not make those, those are not new, they are very old.

3 hours ago, dropbear said:

infantry are ALLOWED to jump from the spawn to the cp roof. We have the opportunity to remove this ridiculous practice now.

Yes, it's called you break both your legs in the process and die of shock.
Dev needs a little bit to get some time to look at that aspect.
Hell you can crawl off the church tower and live if you are prone.

8 hours ago, delems said:

1) Don't need the word 'district' on Antwerp S and Center names, too long.

2) The name 'Antwerp Center' is way to far S of the actual town, that label needs to be moved up.

3) S central depot and Antwerp district are in the OTHER sides town?  Swap their locations.

4) Abbreviate all the directions on Brux town names so not so long; Brussels NE, etc...

2) Already done, cell was full making it a pain because to move the marker, you have to actually make a new marker (Which is the CP itself)
And then manually clone the assets to the new marker, then externally hand edit the asset data so they will be owned by the new marker and purge them from the old marker, or they will be duplicated, then delete the old marker, then load the new data file in the editor and reconnect the supply links.
Can't drag and move anything, i wish.

Cell being full kind of sounds silly at face value, but all things have limits, and a cell is pretty large and antwerp shares that cell with several other towns.

3) Already done i think

4) Already done

1) Yea, could

Merlin, everyone is gonna be all over you to fix this and that.

But keep in mind, I think a LOT of town design was predicated not only on the unique tactical puzzle principle, but also the flow of the map, how easy or difficult a particular town or towns should be to attack from X direction.

This is particularly important to pay attention to since you are going to 1.36 TBS, terrain is likely to loom larger the less that local ToE brigade supply can overwhelm a particular spot.

You could seriously imbalance the map more then you might think with TBS going in.

I strongly strongly strongly recommend you talk to Doc about this specific thing, or you may find yourself constantly altering catchup to fix unleashed problems you never knew could exist.

Edited by Kilemall
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, aismov said:

Quick Q Merlin. Any plan to add an extra ground tileset for the cities? I always found it really weird how urban-looking buildings awkwardly site right on top of a grass texture and lack things like sidewalks etc. Minor issue but was wondering if there was any plan/discussion to make that kind of addition.

There are yes, but i do not make art, i am not very good at it.
The art team has many things going on, but first, they have to bring the existing up to par.
We have Xl2rippr and also 2 very talented ladies, but what they do takes a lot of time, is a lot of work to go from 3DSMax design to game environment operable object
so it takes time

Part of what looks odd about it is the buildings in general.
Making the existing ones better will help partially, and eventually having some new buildings more suited to that placement will help too.
As you can probably see in game, there is a rather small number of unique buildings to work with.

And some of those locations were built long ago when the buildings looked totally different and did not look as out of place.
(If you consider a building made from a shoebox not out of place :) )

Thanks for the explanation @Merlin51!

4 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Merlin, everyone is gonna be all over you to fix this and that.

But keep in mind, I think a LOT of town design was predicated not only on the unique tactical puzzle principle, but also the flow of the map, how easy or difficult a particular town or towns should be to attack from X direction.

This is particularly important to pay attention to since you are going to 1.36 TBS, terrain is likely to loom larger the less that local ToE brigade supply can overwhelm a particular spot.

You could seriously imbalance the map more then you might think with TBS going in.

I strongly strongly strongly recommend you talk to Doc about this specific thing, or you may find yourself constantly altering catchup to fix unleashed problems you never knew could exist.

This is precisely why I asked if Merlin had MOIC experience.  

5F6KqL2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

in such a surrounded AB, how could we avoid units leaving veh spawn to become air canon meat? A well placed tank will smile at his stats too. Infantries can also easily lock down the veh spawn area.

<brainstorming >

Similarly to big cities, All ABs could all have two veh spawns ,distant from each other (the 2nd being outside the walls if any) to avoid camping thanks to the random spawn feature .

Infantries could also be allowed to spawn from veh spawn but the area should be made no-fire zone first 

On 2/12/2019 at 0:06 AM, Capco said:

Thanks for the explanation @Merlin51!

This is precisely why I asked if Merlin had MOIC experience.  

Merlin, will you be acting on this very strong suggestion?

Lets relax a little guys. Merlin has been playing this game since 2001, just like many of us here. I'm pretty sure he knows how to build a town. Personally I like the layouts. They look true to the period (which is very important IMHO) and I don't see anything egregious like a CP building in the middle of an empty field.

If you look closely there is a very clever way the grass is used in many cities in a type of crosshatch pattern which allows ingress/egress. Theoretically speaking you could crawl your way all the way from outside of town into the city center thanks to the tall grass.

2 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0