• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
mingus

CRS, "Doing our duty while helping new blood.."

23 posts in this topic

Something I have brought up in the past but got a rolled eyebrow or two from the powers that be is the following issue:            We have our main chat channels,, Target, side, mission, squad,,etc etc,, and then there are the two air channels, 55 for allied air and 20 for LW.    Well, (at least for axis, Im not sure about allied side) there are some other popular custom channels that are used very often,, example, Ch 10 for army ops.  Well, If an axis player wants to be fully in the know, he needs to tune all of these channels.  Problem is,, we dont have enough chat channels to "be in the know" and tune all of the popular custom chat channels and still have room for the all important "HELP" channel to answer questions the new guys might have.      We need more channels.      What say you CRS? Possible? I dont think its debatable that this is an important issue.

6 people like this

Agree! Would increase the possible chat slots to 8 from the current six. I have the same issue you do: Mission/Target/Side/Squad/10/20... nothing left for Channel 31 (31st non-squad comms), or the help channel.

If you remember back in the day we had I think 4 slots, but you could tune 4 channels per slot. So you could have say 10/20/30/31 all tuned to the same slot. The only drawback was that you would broadcast to all those channels... not sure if the ground guys care to hear that DB7s are in BQ37. I've been doing a lot of squad recruiting lately and its a huge difference if a new player is under the wing of someone who knows the game. The Help channel is something that new players will logically try out if they have a question, but I would say the majority of the vets ingame don't tune to the channel for the exact reason mingus said.

Edited by aismov

German air persona should just auto populate/tune channel 20 too, allied air personas 55. New players wont know which channel to tune for awhile, may as well make it easy.

5 hours ago, madrebel said:

German air persona should just auto populate/tune channel 20 too, allied air personas 55. New players wont know which channel to tune for awhile, may as well make it easy.

SO when we auto-pop a channel which one of your custom set channels do we put it into?

For Axis at least ground persona would be 10, air persons would be 20. Navy is 30. Not sure what the Allies have but I know we both use the same basic system.

Or just add more chat channels available and formalize the custom channels. 'Air', 'Navy', 'Army'. Done. No customs.

One might think "but spies!", but the accurate chat channels are widely publicized, especially in general chat to encourage new players to get involved. At least, the Axis does it. Idk about Allies.

Agree on just naming the army/navy/air. I would still keep custom channel options though since they have good value.

I think 8 slots would be a good number. 10 is probably overkill since really you only need 5-6 channels to keep informed on what going on in game, with a few extra channel slots for things like help channel or a custom channel for whatever you are doing.

Spying really isn't an issue since most planning goes on via squad or HC discord, or on the HC secure ingame chat or secure squad chat. When an announcement is made all the assets for the attack and pretty much in place.

4 hours ago, B2K said:

SO when we auto-pop a channel which one of your custom set channels do we put it into?

The lack of channels youre hinting too is the same lack mingus is talking about. Further, i specifically mention new players who likely have 2 empty channels ... use one of those 2?

For vets, mingus' ask for more channels solves the larger problem of not having enough channels.

I've been wanting/needing more chat channels for years, it was usually the Help channel that I sacrificed.

origin = rarely used and not needed. - delete it.

side = should be untunable and default like system stuff. - frees up one slot.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, blkfalcon said:

side is un-tunable.

22 hours ago, aismov said:

Spying really isn't an issue since most planning goes on via squad or HC discord, or on the HC secure ingame chat or secure squad chat. When an announcement is made all the assets for the attack and pretty much in place.

Hmmm. It’s very easy for an experienced spy. Just look at the HC online and which brigades they are a part of, or look at the missions on the Active Battles tab. Anyone with half a brain can figure out the next attack with all the clues that are available when spying.

That being said, I only know of two spies being caught since 2002. They aren’t anywhere near the problem that some think they are.

11 hours ago, blkfalcon said:

We have to still be able to tune out the endless whine and spam of the side channel. We often use mission chat, especially on FB attack or defence when most on F2 chn are in the AO/DO.  Side is tuned out for me, and sadly so is Help because we dont have enough chns

S! ian

21 hours ago, B2K said:

side is un-tunable.

But still occupies a comm slot is what I was getting at.

2 hours ago, blkfalcon said:

But still occupies a comm slot is what I was getting at.

you can put another channel into that slot - or make a custom channel.  it is there by default nothing more, it is changeable.  

7 hours ago, B2K said:

you can put another channel into that slot - or make a custom channel.  it is there by default nothing more, it is changeable.  

Yea, I know how it all works. You're missing my point I guess. Forget about it.

7 hours ago, B2K said:

I think what he was saying is that the side chat rather than right now being a dedicate channel that takes up a slot rather be hard coded like a dot command.

Simikarvto how .axis and .hc works for the HC members. If players want to broadcast something to the entire side they could type .side and everyone gets it. That way you open up an extra channel slot.

My own view is that this may be hard for new players to grasp. Dot commands and their functionality are very esoteric and there are lots of them.

I would say keep the side channel but increase chat slots from 6 to 8.

46 minutes ago, aismov said:

I think what he was saying is that the side chat rather than right now being a dedicate channel that takes up a slot rather be hard coded like a dot command.

Simikarvto how .axis and .hc works for the HC members. If players want to broadcast something to the entire side they could type .side and everyone gets it. That way you open up an extra channel slot.

My own view is that this may be hard for new players to grasp. Dot commands and their functionality are very esoteric and there are lots of them.

I would say keep the side channel but increase chat slots from 6 to 8.

Yeah this is more what blkfalcon meant.

new players rarely need to broadcast on side chat. maybe typing in .side being 4 keystrokes more effort than a single function key might dissuade a small percentage of the whiny spam as well.

5 hours ago, madrebel said:

new players rarely need to broadcast on side chat. maybe typing in .side being 4 keystrokes more effort than a single function key might dissuade a small percentage of the whiny spam as well.

That's a great point actually. Limit side to actual important information and not the millionth Matty whinefest.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, mingus said:

Something I have brought up in the past but got a rolled eyebrow or two from the powers that be is the following issue:            We have our main chat channels,, Target, side, mission, squad,,etc etc,, and then there are the two air channels, 55 for allied air and 20 for LW.    Well, (at least for axis, Im not sure about allied side) there are some other popular custom channels that are used very often,, example, Ch 10 for army ops.  Well, If an axis player wants to be fully in the know, he needs to tune all of these channels.  Problem is,, we dont have enough chat channels to "be in the know" and tune all of the popular custom chat channels and still have room for the all important "HELP" channel to answer questions the new guys might have.      We need more channels.      What say you CRS? Possible? I dont think its debatable that this is an important issue.

I'd say the smartest thing to do is to re-utilize the effectiveness of the "OPS" channel.

• Side channel: Has really become the "dump-all" communications channel. It's mostly filled with people yelling about hacks and complaining most of the time. ~ I've seriously considered detuning this as a default channel on the UI because of how toxic it gets and turns away new customers.
  • OPS: Was designed, and is not currently utilized, for Battle Comms specifically. It precisely meets what you're calling for and is available for all users right now.

Adding more channels means more UI work and I don't think we've touched the chat server code too much to be able to make any promises right now.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, XOOM said:

I'd say the smartest thing to do is to re-utilize the effectiveness of the "OPS" channel.

• Side channel: Has really become the "dump-all" communications channel. It's mostly filled with people yelling about hacks and complaining most of the time. ~ I've seriously considered detuning this as a default channel on the UI because of how toxic it gets and turns away new customers.
  • OPS: Was designed, and is not currently utilized, for Battle Comms specifically. It precisely meets what you're calling for and is available for all users right now.

Adding more channels means more UI work and I don't think we've touched the chat server code too much to be able to make any promises right now.

I would save new players from side chat, it is just non stop moaning and certainly wouldn't encourage many (any?) new subscriptions.

5 minutes ago, ian77 said:

I would save new players from side chat, it is just non stop moaning and certainly wouldn't encourage many (any?) new subscriptions.

Kind of what I was thinking as well.

1 person likes this