• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
aismov

Topographic maps

10 posts in this topic

Something that has been discussed since 2001, with the limitations in making it also know (mostly a man hour question IIRC since it would mostly have to be done manually.

Would add nice period-specific atmosphere. TBH probably would only be used by squads/HC and some dedicated milsim bluetags. But it would really help movement planning.

Last night 31st had a smallish armored column attacking Rocroi (6 tanks) and I quickly rememberd how difficult it is planning attack vectors since you haven't idea what the elevation is around town. I took us through a forest which ended in a gentle reverse slope leading up to 300m from town completely exposed in a field... in other words not exactky ideal terrain. Would have rather gone N of road where there was a small hill with nice berms.

Probably last on the priority list but definitely something to consider, especially for WWIIOL 2.0

Topographic_map_example.png

OR 3D version:

Topographic-Relief-perspective-sample.jp

2 people like this

I know when I play Arma, their topographic map guides my every footstep.  

I'd get all giddy if WWIIOL had one.  

1 person likes this

Regrettably with our current terrain, topographic maps look pretty bad.

I was an observer of prior projects, when I modded the old Design/Beta Forum. My view then was that the ugly results come from an algorithm that was too simple to do the job right. 

If the algorithm ignored cell corners and identified the points where 2.5-meter or 5-meter contours cross cell sides, connecting adjacent same-height cell side crossing points using straight lines that are then auto-filleted using an appropriate function, the result would be much better looking and plenty accurate enough for the desired uses.

Of course, it'd be unavoidable that the contour map would show rivers that don't flow downhill in places. That would be a minor issue.

2 people like this

I wouldn't think topo maps would have to be perfect. Prior to WWII none were. But it would stimulate a strategic element of the game that is missing.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, B2K said:

Regrettably with our current terrain, topographic maps look pretty bad.

I have posted long ago a solution.

1. Place the map outside the game. Something you can charge lets say $1 a month for. <<<Another revenue source maybe.
  2. Info is constantly being transferred from Host to Players and back again (their computers).
  3. Ingame info we see on map will be shared per side and maybe squad stuff too. <<<Another revenue source maybe.

I used to work for a electric company and I had to update topo maps specifically to our needs, scaled, lat/lon, etc. So I know it can be done and this was 18 years ago.

So you can get to the map with ALT/TAB, maybe have editing tools, marks, squad shiat, HC only tools, HC stuff for players,

lots and lots of stuff.  And this my support more team work.  <<<Another revenue sources maybe.

Don't get greedy <<<Another revenue source maybe.

I am sure there are some maps that are historic you can glean and scale as needed. Or at least get you started.

Something to think about.

So maps and a chainsaw DLC - hell that would make real money for CRS!!!  :D 

S! Ian