formio

I dont understand

109 posts in this topic

we talked a lot about the F2P label in the fourms

it's more the label than the model. the game is not F2P, in a modern sense.

it's not a RTS, but with HC it has the elements for the genra

there are elements for F2P, but with what F2P has become, it doesn't fit enough criteria to be F2P without "deceptive advertising"

while people like to dk ride the rifle as the best unit in game, the game experience cannot be realized without a premium sub.

7 hours ago, caydel said:

I would be that user. I have an installer at https://lutris.net/games/world-war-ii-online/ that will work out of the box on any Linux system.

I (of course) tend to agree that there should be some level of promotion to Linux users. I believe a 'native' Linux client could be built with a reasonable effort input by compiling against winelib: https://wiki.winehq.org/Winelib_User's_Guide.

However, I think the benefit of such an approach is rapidly dwindling. At various times between 2007 and 2013 I advocated that this game could be a hit in the Linux community. At that time, the gaming options in Linux were Eve, a few ported Unreal engine titles, and a load of open source projects that were... meh. WWIIOL could have been a big fish in an (admittedly) small pond. Despite the small pond, I suspect that the type people who run Linux as their primary OS are are many times more likely to be the type of person who would *love* WWIIOL's gameplay (and less turned off by the graphics) than the general population who run Windows. 

However, in the last few years, gaming on Linux has advanced rapidly. In addition to more games coming with Linux support out of the box, projects like Steam's Proton have made it possible to run large swathes of people's older Steam games (including WWIIOL - see https://www.protondb.com/app/251950!) almost flawlessly. In the last few months, about 70% of the Windows games in my Steam library now run flawlessly under Linux. I think a significant opportunity was missed.

At this point, I think it would cost almost nothing to 'unofficially' support Linux by linking to the current installer or mentioning the steam support via Proton from the download page, and opening a matching 'Community Support' forum. It may not lead to a lot of subs, but the costs for opening that door are small. I'd be willing to help define the language and monitor the Linux community support forum.

I can say with 100% certainty that I am here and I have a sub because this game can run on Linux.

I think the Linux user base is growing by leaps and bounds, but I don't know much about the complexities of porting a game to support it. I was using mint for a long time, and the only reason I am running a windows machine right now is this game (ugh). I am aware of wine ( a windows simulater that lets you run windows programs within linux), was more talking about running it natively within linux, but that talk is way over my head. I think the potential user base is huge, especially overseas, and have always scratched my head why no attempt was made to market to them. 

Edited by nc0gnet0

On 2/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, nc0gnet0 said:

Additionally, spawn timers are the wrong way to try to adjust for side imbalance, as it makes the gaming experience less fun. IMHO it would be a much better practice to account for side imbalance on the weapon supply side. For instance, when a side was overpop by a 2-1 ratio, when the over pop side spawns in say an mp40, deduct 2 mp40's from the available weapons list. Now, I am not sure exactly how the ratios would work, (maybe only cost the overpop side 1.5 mp40's), but it is something to try.  

Spawn timers, maybe.  Cap timers no.  And dynamic weapons, whew, that can be gamed.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, david06 said:

No, I'm saying that that's the majority opinion here. Look at how many people are ignoring what you said about getting player numbers higher at all costs, and are instead fretting about balance. They were complaining about side imbalance a decade ago when axis had 160 vs. the allies' 130 players, and now that it's 35 axis vs. 25 allies they are still complaining about side imbalance. 

Personally I agree with you that getting more players should be the #1 priority.

The problem that guys like you NEVER get is that if you crank it up so the 160 Axis guys go to 200 cause DAMN SO MUCH FUN OVERRUNNING UNDERPOPPED ALLIES YUKYUKYUK and Allies 130 drops to 65, then you were at 290 players now 265 and you lost players even though the overpop side gained.  Then if it continues, the Axis guys notice eventually that the number of targets drops, and they unsub.

Same thing happened in reverse with Allies being the overpop and beating on Axis with overpop and no adjustment especially during the first couple years of full brigades.

This is the Cycle of Suck, and why the pop neutrality elements needed to be in years earlier.

3 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

This is the Cycle of Suck, and why the pop neutrality elements needed to be in years earlier.

Amen. But looking forward with some optimism can the Cycle of Suck be solved quickly now?

On 2/17/2019 at 3:43 PM, XOOM said:

There is a series of events involved with managing WWII Online, and it is not quite as simplistic as you make it out to be. I will agree with you that the root to increased fun and customer happiness is more players on the server. That is not purely price point driven, or at least one that is sustainable and achievable. For example, the primary beef for new users is the "Subscription." However as all of our veterans know the Subscriptions is the root reason we've made it for approaching 18 years of continued operations. If we did a one time buy totally, boom, game over.

3 players paying $6.00 a month is requiring 3x the effort for marketing and managing those players interests and "demands." There is no guarantees to their retention or interest in the product.

The $17.99/mo price point is only here out of necessity, and can possibly be replaced by lowering paying accounts to build up a base. However we cannot just go "Okay, we're changing the price point and boom here we go." That will create a financial vacuum creating instability for our continued operation. ~ I'm going to keep using that term, because that is our primary goal: continued operation of WWII Online.

We have some product plans that are currently in development, which are subscription based, at a lower price point, providing specific gear and access. I am waiting on our developers to push that through entirely before announcing much about it. I think it will be well received and customers should be happy with it, as it's more clear than a Starter account and not as expensive as a Premium account. These will be available for both organic and Steam customers. DLCs remain with Steam only and there's no plan to change that yet.

This is dangerous waters, as now you effectively contractually obligate to an X set of toys for Y price, which can greatly hinder later options in spawnlists or packages.

Just now, sorella said:

Amen. But looking forward with some optimism can the Cycle of Suck be solved quickly now?

Yes, if careful choices are made with pop neutrality and a balanced palette of equipment is made available, the voice comms are fast tracked and new players get hit up with some very quick 'get the game' material early on.

Probably the most fruitful time to get players hooked into voice comms and understanding what they are getting is the one time not used at all- during the initial download process, with Steam/website initial downloading.

URLs built into the game menus that can launch answers to questions, things like that.

A lot of deep fixes needed with game org tools, but that doesn't fit your quick fix criteria.

On 18/02/2019 at 8:36 PM, nc0gnet0 said:

I was using mint for a long time, and the only reason I am running a windows machine right now is this game (ugh).

Well, you'll be glad to know it's no longer needed.

• Install Mint
  • Install Lutris
  • Double click the installer I linked earlier

On 16.2.2019 at 4:07 PM, dustyhc said:

And to the Axis players, the boredom of an assured win can't be that fun

Yes, one might think that, but no, numbers would change if that would be the case. Always judge people by what they do.