XOOM

Veterans unsubscribing and starting Free Accounts

187 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, knucks said:

LOL that's war son. You don't see people in warthunder crying about historic cammo schemes on their planes and tanks! Do you want CRS to make money or not?

THEN QUIT YOUR BELLY ACHING SOLDIER!

I don't give a crap about WarThunder or World of Tanks or H&G, far as I'm concerned they are coddling nurseries of twitch suck.

You talk big about all this money but are blowing off the very evidence that is before you about what would happen with improved pay camo, and the stats guys too.  I won't be bellyaching, they will.  And, they pay for a lot more subs then just me, and certainly more then you.

Just as importantly, there is only so much graphics 'budget' and memory they have.  If the Rats opened up to full graphics card capabilities AND 64-bit memory AND multicore I think they could handle a certain amount of custom skinning, but all that will lose players too that don't have machines up to snuff.  It's not always a straight line to go to even a middling 'reference machine' of performance requirements when losing 20% of your subs could be crippling, which badge/decal buys would not cover or at least be revenue neutral.

I think they will need to pony up and do the full 64-bit/at least 2016 cards spec for other reasons eventually, but this revenue stream has a fair chance of not even offsetting losses if done in the next year, and it would be inadvisable to do it strictly for new skins.

Decals?  Oh ya, that's all gravy and should be able to do very fast, probably more a backend pay thing to code then the actual implementation/graphics cost overhead.

Dunno, I think there is actually a huge untapped market for this. As far as memory goes WWIIOL uses next to nothing, IIRC on my system it used 2 GB of system RAM and 1.5 GB of video RAM. I have no clue regarding art and how much a texture takes up in memory, but lets say it was the 5 MB that someone here mentioned. Lets be generous and double it to 10 MB, that is 100 textures for a bump in 1 GB of video card RAM. Based on the steam hardware survey as of 1/2019 ~84% of gamers have a GPU that has 2 GB or more VRAM, with 60% having 4 GB or more. And for system memory 95% have 4 GB or more, with 80% having 8 GB or more.

I'm no game developer so I don't know how things like texture usage really works, but games like GTAV push 50GB+ so I think we have a lot of headroom to work with. Decals and skins are a bit more challenging I guess since they can pop up anywhere in the game world so you can't for example have one set of textures reserved for certain geographic areas to facilitate smooth loading. But to stop my rambling, I think there is actually a lot of interest in this.

7 hours ago, knucks said:

LOL that's war son. You don't see people in warthunder crying about historic cammo schemes on their planes and tanks! Do you want CRS to make money or not?
THEN QUIT YOUR BELLY ACHING SOLDIER!

Please not this
maxresdefault.jpg

mld2eqiz98mz.jpg

CLQkmzWN1OrSTgMjk4OIUp7g8coQ-OjSv2DVzca3

11 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Please not this
maxresdefault.jpg

That is so you.... Wonder if I can get the dev team to tie that color scheme to your personas

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, B2K said:

That is so you.... Wonder if I can get the dev team to tie that color scheme to your personas

So the M3 Lee is coming!!

I would be okay with a Pink Panther :D 

S! Ian

Supply doesn't matter numbers do even though allies have all these tanks what is happening in game?? They are losing because they have no numbers and no HC.

This game has become all about numbers you don't even need tanks to take towns hell all you need is more guys than the other team at 5 am in the morning and roll towns with a 5-1 advantage it isn't rocket science guys....

Malvoc out.....

1 person likes this

FWIW. Although massive (or simply greater) numbers would be fantastic, the game isn't just about taking towns and "winning". The fight itself is the raison d'etre IMHO, and if one disconnects winning/losing towns or maps even from that concept, the game becomes so much more fun. Anyone can win - by fulfilling the expectation one sets for oneself for that particular mission. Disassociating myself from town/map win/loss liberated MY game experience, and allowed me to have fun/enjoy my time online. Granted, it doesn't work for everyone.

To speak on the skins and micro transactions. I

The current system is manually intensive to add. For each person you need to add the skin or squad tag and the process is very technical and if not done properly could remove current decals you already have. It is not very efficent and I dont see this becoming a thing in the near future/

2 hours ago, BMBM said:

FWIW. Although massive (or simply greater) numbers would be fantastic, the game isn't just about taking towns and "winning". The fight itself is the raison d'etre IMHO, and if one disconnects winning/losing towns or maps even from that concept, the game becomes so much more fun. Anyone can win - by fulfilling the expectation one sets for oneself for that particular mission. Disassociating myself from town/map win/loss liberated MY game experience, and allowed me to have fun/enjoy my time online. Granted, it doesn't work for everyone.

I couldn't disagree more, and think your missing the point. Dislocating from winning = playing for personal stats = not capping = sitting and hiding in buildings/bushes and doing nothing but snipe = toss the whole "play as a team" concept out the window. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, nc0gnet0 said:

I couldn't disagree more, and think your missing the point. Dislocating from winning = playing for personal stats = not capping = sitting and hiding in buildings/bushes and doing nothing but snipe = toss the whole "play as a team" concept out the window. 

yes, I have seem this game turn into a "stat hoe" game. No one guards or caps cps. They sit in a bush or building and snipe. The people capping and guarding cps are vet players

2 people like this

On 2/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, thebacon said:

Not many people tune to side chat. I for one have never tuned to it. I actually forgot about it until I opened up a free account. I have always tuned to 10, 20, and 74. Maybe CRS can make those defaults?

How do you know then how many people tune or not tune side chat, since you are never on it????

When I used to play, side chat was essential in coordinating across different branches. Removing it, just because there are some trolls on side chat, which everyone is free to .ignore is, in my opinion, pretty bad. Almost as bad as censorship. 

1 person likes this

I was a day one player who now only plays occasionally as a free player. I was very active in a huge squad for a very long time. The game changed when developers turned against squads and to their credit are understanding the important dynamics of squad play and the huge benefits that the social aspect provided the game. But life is busy now. I don't have time to cultivate squad relationships when I can't play consistently enough to support them. I don't really enjoy being fodder in a massive attack with no purpose.

However, I would subscribe again if WWIIOL had a way to organize missions so that they had a mechanism where I could interact with my mission team members towards achievable goals. This provides the immersion that is the strong point of the game. CRS needs to reorganize the UI so that groups of players (and squads) can plan missions effectively...  

6 minutes ago, carlz said:

I was a day one player who now only plays occasionally as a free player. I was very active in a huge squad for a very long time. The game changed when developers turned against squads and to their credit are understanding the important dynamics of squad play and the huge benefits that the social aspect provided the game. But life is busy now. I don't have time to cultivate squad relationships when I can't play consistently enough to support them. I don't really enjoy being fodder in a massive attack with no purpose.

However, I would subscribe again if WWIIOL had a way to organize missions so that they had a mechanism where I could interact with my mission team members towards achievable goals. This provides the immersion that is the strong point of the game. CRS needs to reorganize the UI so that groups of players (and squads) can plan missions effectively...  

integrated voice comms is part of the road map, in case you didn't know. i believe xoom has a video primer on that somewhere. its iirc supposed to include things like mission voice channel as well as local (to your player) voice. may be forgetting some things but it i think is in part what you're looking for.

@BLKHWK8 you got a link for that or am i making things up?

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, bogol said:

How do you know then how many people tune or not tune side chat, since you are never on it????

When I used to play, side chat was essential in coordinating across different branches. Removing it, just because there are some trolls on side chat, which everyone is free to .ignore is, in my opinion, pretty bad. Almost as bad as censorship. 

Because NOTHING Is done to the handful of people who constantly spew poison on side channel. 

The same guys on each side do it every single time I see them online, and nothing gets done.  They just spew bias this bias that and they get to keep doing it. 

Clean that up first before removing side channel. 

4 people like this

3 hours ago, madrebel said:

integrated voice comms is part of the road map, in case you didn't know. i believe xoom has a video primer on that somewhere. its iirc supposed to include things like mission voice channel as well as local (to your player) voice. may be forgetting some things but it i think is in part what you're looking for.

Would the integration require headsets? This is a huge turn-off for me and why I don't use discord. In game voice comms broadcast through the PC speakers and a standing mic would be a nice option.

12 minutes ago, nc0gnet0 said:

Would the integration require headsets? This is a huge turn-off for me and why I don't use discord. In game voice comms broadcast through the PC speakers and a standing mic would be a nice option.

even discord will allow you to do that
the game wont care what you use for audio

Huh? You mean you want voice comms played back through something other than the game sounds? You’re going to add a lot of noise over the voice comms that way ...

Standing mic or headset should both work. Like Merlin said, if using discord you could set that to use say a usb headset while the game audio goes through speakers, or vice verse.

I read the forms and follow the game quite close even though I don't play anymore. The updates with new content have been amazing. But for me, what draws the line for my return is my squad mates. That is what made this game for me. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, bogol said:

It is not being removed, the suggestion is just that it is not automatically tuned in for every new account.

Ideally the ability to have a few more "buttons" would allow more players to monitor the help channel, but we cannot get this at present.

S! Ian

On 2/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, madrebel said:

I realize that and yes, I could log into one of the com programs used with the game. But, this still does not offer the same immersion and gameplay that could be afforded on multiple levels by producing a UI that allowed (and guided) mission members to work more efficiently towards a common and achievable goal.

This game is ideally situated to be a very socially interactive game in which players work together to achieve tactical goals (ae...dominating choke points, interdiction, capturing FB's, bombing factories) towards strategic objectives. Yet, the mechanisms and tools are not in place to encourage players to work together. Instead of logging in for an hour of stimulating game play to achieve a sense of satisfaction working in an organized fashion towards a limited mission objective; most game play is overwhelmingly similar to 5 hour Viking berserker attack in which players use up all the axes and swords in short order and fight a battle of attrition with knifes. Same old scenario almost every town. Multiple missions from different spawns all with the same lack of coordination. We play this game because it's a simulation of WWII, yet the very precepts which governed the battlefield are ignored.

It doesn't have to be this way.   With some very simple adjustments CRS could produce ready rooms where mission leaders (and squads) could have the tools to prepare the mission, brief mission members, assign personal objectives, assign ordinance, mark secondary targets or fallback positions, organize armor support and transportation.

The game was created with choke point's in mind to simulate WWII conditions. Veterans have been very patiently waiting for these enter the game. We know that things like visible supply, impactable ammo, fuel,  and maintenance facilities are very technical issues that will take more resources to achieve. We are willing to overlook the graphics, slow weapons development, and minor technical issues that may be beyond the capacity to improve at the current time. But, veteran players have evolved beyond being part of the hoard. They want to support the game but they can just as well die as a rifleman without paying for a subscription if every battle comes down to rifleman anyhow. Throw us a bone and build a more immersive UI and you will see player subs increase.

The current UI is definitely Killing the player experience. As soon as 1.36 is out that work will probably be resumed. Bmbm already did great preparatory job on this.

3 people like this

The UI is vomit-inducing. Posting a mission is about as fun as hammering nails into your palms.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, Mosizlak said:

Because NOTHING Is done to the handful of people who constantly spew poison on side channel. 

The same guys on each side do it every single time I see them online, and nothing gets done.  They just spew bias this bias that and they get to keep doing it. 

Clean that up first before removing side channel. 

Yup. I concur. There are some good dudes on Axis side channel, like potthead and delems....but some other folks...sheesh

Edited by xanthus