XOOM

Veterans unsubscribing and starting Free Accounts

187 posts in this topic

Side chat is one of the most annoying ... and yet entertaining ... aspects of the game. Why anyone would want to deprive themselves of its pleasures is beyond me, lol. Obviously that's a bit tongue in cheek, BUT for new players I definitely think it is helpful if they at least monitor it from time to time. Plenty of calls for paras, defense 911s, etc. in between the jokes and drama.

Edited by hillstorm

I really only unsubscribe due to time constraints in real life. Working on my PhD means ebbs and flows in the management of projects and such. So, when I have time, I try to play and help out by recruiting new players / teaching them the basics of the game. By the way, you can check out some of the tutorials I made for the game on YouTube. I made these out of pure enjoyment and the realization that through the tutorial, new players don't learn these things. Often, instead of directly connecting with existing players, people prefer to watch tutorials online. I know that's what some of my online friends (younger folks, mostly) do in order to become proficient in any game. 

So yeah, plus life just happens . . . we can't exactly devote our lives to the thing. Subscribing and unsubscribing is a natural part of any online PC game, especially in role-playing games. 

By the way, I just made a new tutorial on "How to Raid a Forward Base" for you. :)

Edited by sublimesw
1 person likes this

On 2/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, ZEBBEEE said:

The current UI is definitely Killing the player experience. As soon as 1.36 is out that work will probably be resumed. Bmbm already did great preparatory job on this.

this. thank you for the prep work and keep on going - looking forward to the changes / evolution of the game. 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, ZEBBEEE said:

The current UI is definitely Killing the player experience. As soon as 1.36 is out that work will probably be resumed. Bmbm already did great preparatory job on this.

THANK YOU! 

I am not proposing changes to the current mass spawning UI because many love this type of action, but the addition of an alternate UI that embraces team play. By adding in a mission interface that can be used by small groups (around 15 members) that gives command and control over to the mission leader would produce a much more immersive game play atmosphere for those who want the Band of Brothers experience that the game is ideally suited for. By limiting the amount of members on each mission we prevent large squads from running the map as CRS had feared several years ago and hijacking the experience. Good squads know that any larger missions tend to loose command and control of the objective and could easily coordinate several missions.

The missions would be open to anyone to join. This means that newbies could join the mission with experienced players to learn the ropes without the risks. This also means that a squad would need to be more organized regarding planning and execution. This would be an excellent recruiting tool and a great way to retain subscribers in a game that has a very steep learning curve. It opens up the possibility for busy veterans to log into the game for just an hour or so and enjoy several meaningful spawns. Yes, there will always be idiots who use second accounts to spy or just irritate others, but with the much more intimate social climate that the small dynamics provide, these guys will quickly gain a bad reputation. So will the good leaders.

This UI could have the following tools:

- The ability for the Mission Leader to plan the mission before opening it up for members.

- A Map with markable icons that can be taken into battle. These might include new icons which mark staging or fallback options. Perhaps give the mission leader the ability to draw on the map.

- Ideally the map could have overlays that would allow several missions to coordinate with HC or each other two other missions.

- A toggleable interactive Notepad where players could use the keyboard to mark down com channels, attack coordinates, timing, or any other pertinent info. Also provide the ability for mission members to remove marks they placed on the map.

- The opportunity to change out ordinance from inside the ready room before spawning so that a proper weapon balance could be established before spawning.

- The ability for the Mission Leader to launch the team to spawn together from a forward base and to set up a spawn point for only his/her team. The Mission Leader should coordinate the transport of his team to the objective. (Yes, this is different than using a forward spawn point- those who are in a hurry can post the original mission types).

An interface such as this could be used by all service branches to produce more quality game play.

Ok everyone. I see some good content and lots of bickering going on. Also just complaining about this or that like to what point? It’s a Fricking game and like I have said in the past we the players control it.

Everyone has a right as a paying member or a F2P member to play and be what they want to in our game. But at what expense to others on your side wether Allies or Axis. At times while trying to cap or defend a choke point or AB Bunker as I am killed I see others playing what they have chosen while the CP I was guarding is being capped. Before I die I will ask for help or announce that I am dying - XXXXX please help - while their is either a sniper in a building next to my cp oe a tank 2 buidlings away. Hey I can understand after all they want play what they have chosen mean while the CP or Bunker is being capped. I might die five times - let’s face it my eye hand coordination just plain sucks anymore yet most of the time no help arrives. Now I don’t mean every time but most. Like last night - don’t ask me the town because I forget it’s name 5 minutes after it’s been capped - but I get so frustrated trying to guard or recap while no help comes and no I am not the only one.

My point is this. Having been in a real war I will say this - many times equipment breaks down wether it’s your weapons fault or you run out of ammo and so on. So now what do you so? You can call out for help and wether or not your a sniper- lmg - sapper - or in my case my primary weapon with my M60. But everyone worked as a team - if one is going to die by god all of you are going most likely - because your brothers as one unit working as one.

I realize this is a game here that we play to have fun. But if you only want to have fun with no unity as one large unit your going to lose. Players have to decide if they only want to have fun playing what they chose - some players - or rather win and having fun doing so. In order to win we need players working as a team - brothers and sisters than they must use equipment that is really needed. We don’t need tanks to guard or recap CP’s or snipers to try and kill our enemies while something is being capped. I am not picking on players that have chosen to have fun and using what they want but trying to explain in order to win and have fun doing so somethings need to change. 

Men if in real life if someone didn’t call out or mark something let’s face your dead just like in our game with some not taking time to call out or mark. When I joined our game back in the beginning I joined a squad- the White Falcons - we were told what to use not asked but our CO told us what he needed so be it. We did as he said he was x military like so many of us were.

So to read people going back and forth and to see some of the complaints is bunk. I am not as I said a few days ago - get frustrated this map at all. But with some of this bunk about a game our game realllly Frustrates the living heck out of me. 

Ok just one question. With everything to chose to play in this game how the heck can anyone become bored?..? Try a ship - a plane - what ever but please don’t be so fricking negative and complain about things CRS is trying or going to fix or make better.

I was going to say that I was sorry for writing a book here - but nope instead just say this - if you want change than look at yourself and see if it might be you that needs it. 

Salute to all, and Cheers

4 people like this

Playtime, The point of your post is kind of all over the place, but I guess it refers to my suggestion that veteran players don't see the value in subscribing to paid accounts without the tools to conduct a more mature team style game play built into the game. You recognize that squad based game play where affiliations and dependencies between players are important and model real life attributes. But, then query how anyone can be board when so many role alternatives exist in the game. This is apples and oranges. What you play and How you play are completely different animals. 

Yes, squads are great and provide the support and interaction needed to provide optimal game play. But being in a squad means supporting your squad mates by regular attendance. For many mature players who can't maintain regular attendance with a squad or can't dedicate a 3 hour block to squad night objectives, those affiliations are a disservice to the leaders who are struggling to provide meaningful team objectives without  proper organizational tools.

How many mission leaders have planned squad missions  only to have a whole horde of unaffiliated players ruin it by running directly to the objective without proper support? Happens every time and does not support the strengths of this game.

The UI addition I am suggesting  can be used by Squads to strengthen their mission planning, but also be used by unaffiliated players to organize meaningful and fun tactical missions outside of the overall strategic goals of the game. It is the perfect way to train new subscribers to embrace the social aspects and organization of the game that lead to the long term subscriptions needed to keep WWIIOL alive. If CRS were to add these tools into the game, but limit them to paid subscribers, I guarantee veterans would resubscribe and retention rates for new players would increase dramatically.

Edited by carlz
wordage

16 hours ago, playtime said:

Ok.....

Sadly many have already followed your advice and they have indeed changed what they do - they have stopped playing.

We need to find ways to get more people to play, not fewer, and you are right squads make a huge difference. I suspect many of us would have long since found something else to do with our spare time if it was not for our squadmates, or quasi squadmates we meet with most days on discord (especially in TZ3).

S! Ian

My advice isn't to stop playing the game. I'm simply pointing out the realities of the current game play, and offering a solution to the problem raised by CRS in this post.

30 minutes ago, carlz said:

My advice isn't to stop playing the game.

No of course it isnt, and I was not for a moment suggesting it was.

Nobody wants people to stop logging in, we need as many as possible. The more guys playing and the longer they play, the better the game "works".

S! ian

Edited by ian77
1 person likes this

On 2/20/2019 at 6:03 AM, BMBM said:

Thanks Viruses (and all supporters!), heck thanks to everyone who gives us input. Yes, the game was left largely in the doldrums for a decade - we now bring a LOT of change, innovation and improvement to make up for those lost years. Some of it is not universally well received (heh) but here’s to patience, understanding and your continued support as we keep tweaking and building this pretty durn unique game.

S!

God darn I hate to love you.  Just when Some of your choices ripple down and start to fluster me, you know just what to say. I sometimes worry about your heart's allied origins, but I think your perspective is giving the rats some needed new angles. That Being said, I like the historical aspect that has been implemented as of late, I really do, its a fresh slap in the face for many snoozing hamsters stuck on this revolving rodent wheel of campaign after campaign that we exist in. But I think yall shouldn't get to excited about that historical accuracy part and leave the red vs blue stuff in the dust so much.  Keep a balance of fun and history that works for the players and takes into account the nature of internet gaming.   On a personal note,BMBM, I hope your air combat background translates into some more attention for the air game on some levels that have not been visited for some time, other than the recent fancy repaints and mix matched load outs made from already existing stuff and trying to feed us that as new content.  Even it up..... The allied planes black out too easily, I've continually heard from those guys , can yall look at that mechanic?  The blackout mechanic is in need of an overhaul for both sides, for sure.  . And for the axis ( just making some examples)..  The German 20mm LW cannons are still next to completely impotent these days. We take the starter plane 109 E1 over the once touted "best all around plane in game"  109 F4 because the E1 simply is more effective in its potency in day to day fights.  That aint right man.                    Thats just my hopes.        That being said, I am still thrilled that the rats brought you on board and the change has been fun for most if still loathed by many.     One more thing, when yall go to change a unit for fairness, dont think, "lets make it harder for people to get kills in this unit to balance it out"  No, that just pisses folks off, Think more like "we should make it easier for both sides to get kills in this unit.   Happy camper, because everyone wants to kill stuff.   S!

2 people like this

Blacking out spooner will happen when you sit more upright. There are RaF test reports stating RaF test pilot in a 109 pulling out of a dive that caused the chasing spit pilot to black out badly. 109 pilot was fine.

I forget it it was the spit2 or 5 that got double foot rests on the pedals to elevate the legs more, may have not been standard till the 5. Later allied pilots get gsuits for their legs and gyro ace maker gunsights. 

1 person likes this