• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
XOOM

LMG Solution Planned

347 posts in this topic

Right now the head shake doesn't happen at times you need to see straight and forward, this change will have people trying to shoot as soon as they are able to, so it will come up more, a lot more.

I have died trying to shoot during head shake when I wasn't able to uncrouch, or stand up depending on how the colliders detect if I should be able to or not. I find destroyed buildings to be bad for this where you are between a wall and a angled corner. You really are just robbed of any chance of shooting during it. Those moments stick out to me as times I felt totally robbed of a chance to fight.

Please consider that a non shooting POV that lasts longer than going from moving to stopped, could be considered a double whammy whack to the class.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, XOOM said:

I have not ever seen any commentary regarding the head shaking as a problem until this post. 

It is the only tangible way that we currently have to let people know that what they're doing, is not an allowed action.

So, I don't plan to rip it out. Solution: Don't spam an action you can't perform.

It's a two-second stun debuff in a FPS game for pressing a key too soon
you shouldn't need to see commentary to know that it is a bad decision

8 hours ago, xanthus said:

Come on nerco, you *know* the grenades are fixed. As a die-hard inf player, I can confirm 100% that grenades  work the way they should now for the first time since 2001.

Clearing out AB bunkers works well too. Would be nice if we had the concussion effects in game as well. Could use the grenade more as a flashbang that way.

Reharding the LMG, the more I think about it the less I agree. I think that you should be allowed to fire at any time, but when you do your unit automatically slows down to a walking pace until you release the trigger.

I think auto-walk when firing and a slower turning speed would do a lot to help what the root problem is with Rambo LMGs than the head shake/can't fire method.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, caydel said:

I'll third the grenades working - clearing a CP as a rifleman is much more feasible than it used to be, as you can pitch 4 grenades through the upstairs windows.

In fact, it works well enough that I suspect over time, CP defence will shift to the first level as there's more walls to duck behind.

the PB still needs time to restore their lost faith in the nades.

just last year, we could stand with a french nade at our toes and survive. the cannon shells were just as bad

mortars HE, for some reason are still useless. 1kg of explosives should get a lot more effect, but when under mortar fire i can walk through the poof

6 hours ago, XOOM said:

I have not ever seen any commentary regarding the head shaking as a problem until this post.

I mean, there was the one earlier in this thread that I made. Lots of Discord chatter over the years, but can't exactly quote that.

A quick search for both "head shake" and "headshake" show it as a source of frustration over the years, whether associated with bugs, the delay resulting in a death, or just general gameplay issues.

Probably not enough feedback based off of that to put it as a hot-button topic unless someone ran a poll for it. If it is an issue after the patch, I'm sure people will complain loud and clear, haha.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, david06 said:

It's a two-second stun debuff in a FPS game for pressing a key too soon
you shouldn't need to see commentary to know that it is a bad decision

How's that backseat quarter backing working out for ya?

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, major0noob said:

mortars HE, for some reason are still useless. 1kg of explosives should get a lot more effect, but when under mortar fire i can walk through the poof

Mortar HE is quite deadly
But sometimes you and the launcher may not be in each other's vizlist
Because the mortars impact point is STO, you still see the mortar, where as if the guy could chuck a grenade 500m
you would simply not even see his grenade at all.

STO does not presently have a means of propagating damage.
When it does, one will also learn to fear hordes of bombers sailing over town at 6km

11 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

STO does not presently have a means of propagating damage.

Oooooh. That's bad. :(

12 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Oooooh. That's bad. :(

One of those things we inherited, and will find a full solution for.

1 hour ago, Mosizlak said:

Tick tick tick tick...

"soon"

2 people like this

You will only do the "head shaking thing " a couple times before you get used to it .

It's just that we as so used to it as it is now a change might be too hard for some brains to cope with ;-)

25 minutes ago, dustyhc said:

"STO"... Star Trek Online?

Server Tracked Object. For most weapons, the firing client determines where the impact is, and if hit(s) occurred. If the latter is yes, the firing client messages the server, which notifies the target client of where the hit occurred. The target client then applies the damage. At longer ranges, or when the firing or target clients are moving so that the target might not be within the interaction radius of the firing client at impact time, the round is handed off to the server and processed as an STO. The server then determines where the impact is. But, apparently there is no resolution of hits or damage.

On March 19, 2019 at 0:07 AM, jwilly said:

Server Tracked Object. For most weapons, the firing client determines where the impact is, and if hit(s) occurred. If the latter is yes, the firing client messages the server, which notifies the target client of where the hit occurred. The target client then applies the damage. At longer ranges, or when the firing or target clients are moving so that the target might not be within the interaction radius of the firing client at impact time, the round is handed off to the server and processed as an STO. The server then determines where the impact is. But, apparently there is no resolution of hits or damage.

My understanding is that nothing you shoot is server tracked. The whole STO/Ordnance Server has been one of the many things we've heard about since 2001, but was never done.

3 minutes ago, aismov said:

My understanding is that nothing you shoot is server tracked. The whole STO/Ordnance Server has been one of the many things we've heard about since 2001, but was never done.

I think mortar rounds are the only STO munition.

Grenades and Mortars are visually server tracked but not damage. 

On 3/19/2019 at 0:07 AM, jwilly said:

Does this mean if bombs were to become STO, they’d be accurately seen by all falling from a level bomber at say, 3k to the correct position of impact, but still wouldn’t damage units in the impact area since those units didn’t render to the bomber at that distance?

Or in current terms, accurate mortar fire on infantry 750m away won’t damage the infantry since they didn’t render to the mortar man even though both he and all other players see the rounds landing correctly?

I think yes and yes.

Which explains why, back when this was a hot topic under Old CRS, there wasn't a CRS push to get bombs to operate as STOs.

I'm pretty sure we were told back then that STO damage would be server managed. Seems as if either that was a fib, or the implementation wasn't quite done and never happened.

1 person likes this